Tow hooks for '04 Cobra

David Hester

Established Member
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecId=5348 :nono:
I like the folks at Pegasus, I bought tons of stuff from them when I had the Formula Ford, but you don't really want any tow hook of aluminum, not even 1/4 inch. Really. Not sure you want one with just one bolt holding it on, either. 99COBRA2881, while you are tooling up, The reason I say that is if you get tugged sideways, I've seen them either twist or pop off. Neither good for you or EV folks. You want something that will hold up, even if you have to be dragged sideways for a bit to get straightened out. It happens.

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Update---
I have a front tow hook design drawn up and will be taking it to the laser with me this next week. This will involve some welding but the actual tow hook is removeable via bolts. Install it for track days, remove it for the weekdays.

1/4" steel is going to be the primary material used. I am also thinking that a 3/8ths thick design might be good to offer for tracks that have deep gravel traps or for rainy conditions when going off track is much more "interesting."

Thank you,
Anthony
(785)658-5921
Midcontinent Mustangs

:rockon: Thanks !!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
We had my car on the lift yesterday, and were looking at the front bumper support bar with an eye towards a tow hook. While I'm a fan of putting it in the center since you might be able to hide it with a tag, the support is stronger at either end where the attachments (mini-shocks) are.
I'm thinking just a flat tow on pavement might be OK from anywhere on the support, that if you were being extracated from something (mud, brush, quicksand) it might bend the hollow bumper support. My mechanic thinks that seems to be why BMWs and others have them offset, to be near the frame mount. Probably also to clear a front tag.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
any one have pics of it mounted to the front bumper or rear? I just bought some from pegasus and need some ideas on where to mount. TY

racebronco2

Established Member
We had my car on the lift yesterday, and were looking at the front bumper support bar with an eye towards a tow hook. While I'm a fan of putting it in the center since you might be able to hide it with a tag, the support is stronger at either end where the attachments (mini-shocks) are.
I'm thinking just a flat tow on pavement might be OK from anywhere on the support, that if you were being extracated from something (mud, brush, quicksand) it might bend the hollow bumper support. My mechanic thinks that seems to be why BMWs and others have them offset, to be near the frame mount. Probably also to clear a front tag.
What do you guys think?

The tube that i welded to the bumper support is welded on the front and rear of the bumper support since the tube goes all the way thru the bumper support. If it was welded only on the front yes it would bend from any side load.

David Hester

Established Member
BTW, those tubes are just one tube tack welded inside another. I drilled a hole and put a bolt through the side I get towed by. Didn't want it torn apart.
I'm thinking it is designed to give in a light frontal crash.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
The more I read, the more I think I'm gonna just have a big hook welded to the top of my STB, coming out of the hood.
How cool would that be on the street. :eek:

steve121

Established Member
I emailed Rennenmetal about the tow hooks and here is their response.

Steve, I am just waiting for confirmation back from the beta test group that their installations went well, and then I will have production units ready to roll. Both solid (sticks out) and hinged units have been designed and are in testing at the moment. I will email when they are in stock and ready to go. We should meet your deadline.

David Lee - RennenMetal

David Hester

Established Member
Hinged is good. My shins can attest to the straight kind, well, not being kind.
I think they must be magnetic or something. I seemed to find them every time I raised the hood. Why I went to belt type.

wheelhopper

Established Member
The more I read, the more I think I'm gonna just have a big hook welded to the top of my STB, coming out of the hood.
How cool would that be on the street. :eek:

How about a big round loop coming off the top of your roll bar.

As far as the magnetic qualities of straight hooks to shins, tow hitches have the same effect on me.

sleepless

Established Member
Here is mine, from Rennline:

2359563141_e5b2e891c2_o.jpg

2360399408_ce9a8c1732_o.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
David came over and got dimensions today, nice guy!

03 04 Cobra track dawgs will soon have towing eyes available.:banana::rockon::pepper:

EDIT: dimensions and pics!

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy, think there's any chance we'll be able to retrofit them to earlier SN95s?

I don't think you will need to retrofit.

I would send him an e-mail and let him know you are interested in them.

I believe he said he already had dimensions on the 95/98 Cobras and he might even have some made up.:shrug:

He is very meticulous and also extremely knowledgeable about loads and strength, and as a result makes a product that is right on target and meets the needs of both the racer and the safety crews.

If he doesn't have any ready yet, let him know how many sales he might be enjoying if he gets some knocked out for you.;-)

I was extremely impressed by his careful measurement taking and professional demeanor.:thumbsup:

His site--> http://www.rennenmetal.com/products.asp?cat=1

Users who are viewing this thread