Tow hooks for '04 Cobra

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
David came over and got dimensions today, nice guy!

03 04 Cobra track dawgs will soon have towing eyes available.:banana::rockon::pepper:

EDIT: dimensions and pics!

sorry if I missed this info but is he making fronts and rears? if he's doing both, would the rear work with a standard 99-04 non-cobra bumper?

steve121

Established Member
Jimmy,
Thanks for stepping up and offering your car to David. He a great guy to deal with, he just needed to get some dimensions from a real live Mustang. There's a long list of potential customers for this product.

Steve

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I am a potential customer for hooks if they will fit 99/01 Cobras. I'll try and send him an email to show interest.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
He already has dimensions on the front of the 99/01 Cobras, because he measured up a 2000 Cobra R.
I forgot to mention to him when we were reveiwing model differences that the rear however, is slightly different on the R. I'll email him and make sure he knows. Then if he needs to, I can hook him up with some 99/01 Cobra owners. I have several friends in SCMC that have 99/01s. He is also planning on covering the GTs, which would also cover the Machs and Bullits.

I believe he has the SN197s almost ready to go already.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
ok, so if I need a front for an 03-04 Cobra bumper and a rear for a 03 GT bumper he will have both of these available?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ok, so if I need a front for an 03-04 Cobra bumper and a rear for a 03 GT bumper he will have both of these available?

Soon yes.

How long exactly, I don't know. What I do know, is that they will be designed correctly, so as to not damage the car during extrication. They will also be a very usable design, to facilitate the safety crew's job.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Soon yes.

How long exactly, I don't know. What I do know, is that they will be designed correctly, so as to not damage the car during extrication. They will also be a very usable design, to facilitate the safety crew's job.

I know details are slim at the moment. Any idea on if these will clear the actual bumper covers (aka no cutting of the bumpers)?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I haven't heard from him since he came over that day for measurements.
I do know he does have a regular day job, .... maybe he got real busy with that....:shrug:

I would try the email again and see what happens.:beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Have not heard anything yet.

I'm not real nervous about it though, because my next event won't be till late fall, and even then....

I don't plan on running the ragged edge or going off track.

Now I know....., no one ever plans on going off track, but I'm really not that fast, that I'm dropping wheels with any regularity.
In fact I've only been off once, and I drove it off. I greased my tires(over heated) and saw that turn 1 at MSR Houston wasn't going to happen.

Tried to make the turn, slid both right side tires off, and rather than try to put it back on,(bad idea) I drove it the rest of the way off and hugged the shoulder around 2 till it was safe to get back on without slinging mud everywhere all over the racing line.

That's it... just once.
I'm not there to race, I'm just in it for the fun. I give out point bys pretty easily. Fill my mirror for 2 turns and you are by on the next available straight.

I'd still like to have some tow hooks, but I can wait a while. It's not big on my list.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Jimmy, I think I want a front hook more in case the hampsters under the hood give out, and I need a tow back to the pits.

I like to think I'm in more danger of that. :smmon:

Maynor

Established Member
Have not heard anything yet.

I'm not real nervous about it though, because my next event won't be till late fall, and even then....

I don't plan on running the ragged edge or going off track.

Now I know....., no one ever plans on going off track, but I'm really not that fast, that I'm dropping wheels with any regularity.

I'm now focused on finding a solution before my August event at the Glen. I had a boost hose pop off twice at Summit Point last week. Both times, lost all engine power and had to pull off track. Once in the muddy grass and once in the gravel just to stay off line. Didn't think I'd get out of the gravel on my own...

Tow crew wouldn't touch my car without a tow hook due to liability. They were going to call out a flat bed which would have killed an entire session for the next run group since they would have had to call in one in from the surrounding town (their version). I talked the crew into letting me squeeze the hose back on and limp the car back to the pits.

Can't believe no one has come up a simple bolt on kit for the Mustang crowd given how big it is... Porsche, Corvette, Miata, BMW... all those guys have multiple options out there.

I don't mind cutting my bumper cover if needed. I'm going to go to a local Corvette shop and ask them modify their Corvette tow hooks for my car.

Knock on wood, I'll never need to use them for anything more serious. :)

Gonz

Established Member
I had a boost hose pop off twice at Summit Point last week. Both times, lost all engine power and had to pull off track. Once in the muddy grass and once in the gravel just to stay off line. Didn't think I'd get out of the gravel on my own...

Tow crew wouldn't touch my car without a tow hook due to liability. They were going to call out a flat bed which would have killed an entire session for the next run group since they would have had to call in one in from the surrounding town (their version). I talked the crew into letting me squeeze the hose back on and limp the car back to the pits.

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine with an STi. Intercooler hose popped off and he stalled at T2 Summit Point. Had no tow hook, so the wrecker crew hooked up where they could. After that he was done for the day with a badly bent tie rod.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Until I get one on the front, I wonder if they could tow me backwards using my trailer hitch?
That's what I had counted on for extraction if needed.

Maynor

Established Member
showphoto.php

With one of those, sure. Will add about 7 lbs to the rear of the car but it also improves weight distribution slightly. :)

Seriously, it would work. It would just be odd steering the car while going backwards for a lap to get back to the pits though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread