Toyo Proxes R-888

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Anyone running Toyo Proxes R-888's? According to some Supra guy's they can put down 800RWHP, as in a handling tire that is better than any drag radial. They are about $375-$400/ea stock Terminator size, and on backorder everywhere I have looked.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have not tried them but I have read about them.
I think they are a great alternative to running a somewhat fragile drag radial on the street.
They are obviously much better in the rain as well.

I would not expect them to hook BETTER than a drag radial however, close yes, but I doubt they are better.

They ARE better at handling, driving in the wet, and tolerating rough roads.

Both drag radials and R compound tires are compromises.

Nether are full slicks or full street tire.
I like the R compound idea, but I am tracker type.:-D
Those are a little pricey compared to a couple of their competitors.

Last edited:

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I purchased a used set of toyo's from ebay $480.00 shipped for all 4. In a 305-30-18 and 275-35-18. Can't wait to try them out this summer !!!!

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I've heard nothing but good things about them. If I could find some for a decent price I buy them in a heartbeat!

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Jimmysidecar - to clarify, I think the Supra guys are meaning better than a drag radial from a roll, not a true drag race. Maybe a street dig. But I'm hearing all out full throttle 800+ HP Supras hooking up solid in rolls. (My budddy's got one, so I'll keep posted, he's on Misch PS300's now)

Tractionless1

Established Member
Good tire not great. I light them up with ease at 519/567 rolling into it in 2nd at 2.5k. Have 305-35-18's if any one wants to try them $200. Going NT-05r.

red351wcobra

Established Member
im running the 315/35/17s. I love these tires they are great for my weekend warrior.Great ride quality, and handle great in the corners. These are a great for someone looking for a tire that has better grip then a stock street tire, but aren't as extreme as a Mickey Thompson drag radial. I have put about 5K miles on mine with out much wear. I will buy another set when these wear out..

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Good tire not great. I light them up with ease at 519/567 rolling into it in 2nd at 2.5k. Have 305-35-18's if any one wants to try them $200. Going NT-05r.

I am was pushing 600rwhp before the turbo kit went on and they stuck for me. I am running 335 on a 11 inch wide rim though. If you pickup a set of tires that were used for racing and heat cycled then they will never perform like new tires. I heard the r compound rubber gets hard if over heated and that is why you find them cheap on ebay. Good luck with the Nittos and let us know how they compair.

OP
The only thing the tire will not do is perform at the strip because of how stiff the side walls are. I couldn't keep them from hopping on me and I am running almost every mod on my IRS. Other than that I love my tire combo. (CCW classics wrapped in Toyo R888s.) :rockon:

Tractionless1

Established Member
I am was pushing 600rwhp before the turbo kit went on and they stuck for me. I am running 335 on a 11 inch wide rim though. If you pickup a set of tires that were used for racing and heat cycled then they will never perform like new tires. I heard the r compound rubber gets hard if over heated and that is why you find them cheap on ebay. Good luck with the Nittos and let us know how they compair.
:

Mine were new not bought used. 305 on 10.5" wheel 15psi.

Users who are viewing this thread