Toyo R888 Noise Level

phil123

Established Member
The R888's sound like a good choice at least for the rears. I have heard conflicting views on how noisy they are. All the way from no difference to sounds like a bad bearing. Would like to hear from those who have used them.

Thanks

Hourigan218

Established Member
+1. And can they be used in the front as well. Torn between the toyo's or nt05r rear and nt05 front. But really prefer the toyo

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I don't notice much of an increase in road noise at all from the Goodyears and I went on some pretty decent road trips. It honestly depends on the road surface. If it's smooth, fresh asphalt, it's smooth and quiet. If it's concrete with all the rocks in it like some of the older highways, then you hear them much more, but still bearable. It's not cadillac quiet inside, nor should it be. The car is a monstrous brute, a little road noise is nothing and worth the added traction/performance that these tires give you.

carguy19

Established Member
My NTO5R's are dead silent. But they suck big balls if I get caught in the rain.

I run the stock goodyears on the front, and the nitto drag radials on the rear. Car handles wonderfully and the traction is stupendous. As long as the road is dry.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I'm not sure where this Toyo noise thing started? I can't tell much if any difference from the Goodyear or a Nitto. I've got them on my Shelby & 1 Terminator. Soon to be added to another Terminator.
The only tire to run on a performance car IMO.

Hourigan218

Established Member
Thanks. I don't daily drive the car so rain is not a real concern. But I guess I'll wind up with the toyo's. The noise will not concerned me much. At least I hope not hahaha. With headers,cat delete and SS mufflers, that's plenty of noise(music) lol.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
I have the Toyo R888 .. mine are awesome.. I started a whole thread about it.. transformed the car.. made it enjoyable.. the noise level is not bad.. I don't know where the noise issue started.. I did a lot of research on these tires and saw a lot about the noise levels.. but guys.. a GT500 is not a quiet car to begin with.. the motor is loud.. the car driving is loud.. you hear bumps and noises.. .. it is not a lexus.. so I don't know what you are concerned about.. but to answer your question... No.. they are as quiet as the factory tires.. mine have limited mileage and that may change.. but honestly from what I gained from them .. I could care less.. I couldn't stand to drive the car before the tires.. and now I am desperate for seat time..

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
No increase in road noise with my R888's.

Excellent tire to run on the street.

railroad

Established Member
I did about 50+ miles today on my new R888's. Mostly highway, but ramps, construction pavement , etc, no increase in noise. I read a thread where a Porsche owner said the noise was not tolerable. That had me worried, but several on here had started running them with no mention of a noise problem. I did notice the car has a quicker turn in. I do not know if this is due to increased grip, height, or ? I was a little twitchy until I got used to it. No Noise Problems!

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I did about 50+ miles today on my new R888's. Mostly highway, but ramps, construction pavement , etc, no increase in noise. I read a thread where a Porsche owner said the noise was not tolerable. That had me worried, but several on here had started running them with no mention of a noise problem. I did notice the car has a quicker turn in. I do not know if this is due to increased grip, height, or ? I was a little twitchy until I got used to it. No Noise Problems!
Traction? Or did you not lean into it.

railroad

Established Member
Traction? Or did you not lean into it.

The stickers on the tires recommended a 500 mile break in, prior to hammering on the tires. I did not have my tires heat cycled and I will probably do 300 miles before I succumb to temptation, so no reviews on traction yet.
I like what the other owners are saying, and expect good results. After all, I took off the stock Goodyears, only 3200 miles.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Fair enough. Log some miles. Then.. Then STAND on it. Lol. You'll see what we're talkin bout! You'll outrun cars with more HP. Because Traction..

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Well this seals the deal. Ordering a set for my 12 tomorrow.

You will not be disappointed.

cFAJ791.jpg

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
R888 do have a bit of road noise, but on a car with louder exhaust it most likely won't be noticed.

In our shop, standing next to them while they are spinning on the rollers (above ground dyno, btw) they scream like a siren. First time it happened on Racerats Boss, she looked at me like "What the hell is that noise?". Of course here it is amplified with a grooved roller and no wind noise...but still, one of the noisiest tires I have heard on the dyno.

aksvt

Established Member
I have them front and rear, also stock exhaust so the car is pretty quiet. I didnt notice any tire noise, love the tire.

SteveWK

Established Member
I have them front and rear, also stock exhaust so the car is pretty quiet. I didnt notice any tire noise, love the tire.

How do the fronts fit since they are 35 aspect ratio vs 40 ? The fronts are an inch smaller in diameter which means 1/2 inch lower. Also, what size tire did you put on the rear and any mods that increase power? I have the MPSS 295 rear and 275 front and I'm not that impressed with them actually. Don't get me wrong, they are much better than the Goodyears, but still, it doesn't feel right to me especially on a road course. I feel like I'm driving a big over stuffed sofa around with stiff springs lol.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread