TR6ix vs. Denson IT20's??

MiaLightning

Established Member
why not run regular tr6...or go a step colder

well, the tr6 are a step colder, the regular tr6 work great exept for the rough idle.. I've tried as an experiment, the regular tr6 at different gap (.36,.38,.42) to see at which gap they would idle the best and they idle more or less the same thru out them all, i would say a bit better at .38 but still can't compare to the stock motorcrafts.. Iridium plugs are much more efficient and smooth.. I just can't figure the difference between the ngk and the denso's?

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
well, the tr6 are a step colder, the regular tr6 work great exept for the rough idle.. I've tried as an experiment, the regular tr6 at different gap (.36,.38,.42) to see at which gap they would idle the best and they idle more or less the same thru out them all, i would say a bit better at .38 but still can't compare to the stock motorcrafts.. Iridium plugs are much more efficient and smooth.. I just can't figure the difference between the ngk and the denso's?

Which ones have you used before?

MiaLightning

Established Member
Both those Iridium plugs are great, Don't use them if your going to use N20

I'm sure they both are similar but why are the denso's more expensive than the ngk's??
Yeah i know, no nitrous, i'm down grading from a #6/ 2.75 upper to a #2/2.75 upper.. So i'm only going to be running around #12 of boost total until i can get a short block..

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
I'm not running any additional boost and just installed the IT20s. Even though they're one heat range colder than what's recommended for stock, the truck idles better and runs much smoother all the way to redline, but the plugs I pulled looked like they were the original, 60K mile Motorcraft platinums.....so needless to say, the gaps were a little big.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
IMO Autolite plugs work best in Fords. Ford owns Autolite and they are essentially Motorcraft plugs. I hate the TR6's that I'm about to replace with some Autolite 103's. Autolite 103's and NGK TR6's are direct competitors with the same heat range.

I would either go with some regular copper plugs or the AR103 is what I'm getting. Copper conducts a spark very well and works great in performance applications.

Autolite AR103 - Fram Autolite Racing Spark Plugs

Autolite 103 - Autolite Copper Core Spark Plugs

Last edited:

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
TR6's have a shitty idle. But if you detonate for whatever reason and the tip blows off, with the TR6 it disintegrates. Causing no harm to the motor. Ive READ, no actual proof, that the densos tip does not disintegrate and starts to hit the top of the piston if it blows off. I run the regular TR6 plugs just for the added safety of not worrying of the above. The idle might suck but the plugs work great after that.

Last edited:

MiaLightning

Established Member
TR6's have a shitty idle. But if you detonate for whatever reason and the tip blows off, with the TR6 it disintegrates. Causing no harm to the motor. Ive READ, no actual proof, that the densos tip does not disintegrate and starts to hit the top of the piston if it blows off. I run the regular TR6 plugs just for the added safety of not worrying of the above. The idle might suck but the plugs work great after that.

Yeah i've read about this subject, but this would apply to high boost applications or nitrous.. I don't think that with a #2/ 2.75upper setup i'll be running that risk.. i'm thinking about ordering the NGK TR6ix tomorrow, if they are similar to the denso it's but cheaper i'll believe they are the best bet..

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
well, i've tried the stock motorcraft's gap .38 and the motorcrafts (copper version) gap.42 when i had a 2.75 upper only.. Then i added the #6 and ran the (copper) tr6's till now..

Then how can you say iridium plugs are "much more efficient and smooth" if you've never used them before?:shrug:

MiaLightning

Established Member
Then how can you say iridium plugs are "much more efficient and smooth" if you've never used them before?:shrug:

My cousin has been running the Denso IT22's for some time now (6-8months), i was the one who changed the plugs for him so i would know, and they have been working great, he's running a #6/ ported blower and no disappointments so far.. i wouldn't post comments with out any type of knowledge on the subject..

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
this topic has been beaten to death.. in the end it will come down to what YOU decide! Pick one and go from there.. I am using a TR6 simply because they are cheap and work well.. Also it makes you change them consistently which is good because you can see how your truck is running! Also less chance for blowing a plug..

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
I was running BR7s, and due to the crappy idle and short service life I switched over to the Denso Iridiums, and I really like how much smoother the idle is, I can't say if they gained me mileage or power, but the truck just runs like silk with them in.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
My cousin has been running the Denso IT22's for some time now (6-8months), i was the one who changed the plugs for him so i would know, and they have been working great, he's running a #6/ ported blower and no disappointments so far.. i wouldn't post comments with out any type of knowledge on the subject..

Okie dokie. Thanks for the clarification. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread