Traction Control Question on Boosted Applications

5lho

Established Member
Serious question - stupid why?

Serious answer: Because you don't control all aspects of your driving environment on the road. People used to say the same thing about ABS but, it's probably saved millions of lives by now and is completely transparent until needed.

Trying to cram 550+ horse through two small contact patches on the road escalates the danger if things go wrong.

IMG_1857.JPGIMG_1859.JPGIMG_1863.JPG

This is how things went wrong for me when the Vortech was on and the TC/SC was off, once.

Track is a whole other story. Closed course, full control over all aspects of the cars operation, WOT operation. You'll definitely want it all off there. I put a switch into the 5 amp check circuit in my 2012, so, I could just flip all the nannies off completely in one go. ...and yes, the tuner can completely switch off the TC/SC. That's how it is on my nitrous tune.

Last edited:

Flcracker

Established Member
I have better control of the car and feel more confident with it off. Otherwise, I can never be sure what the backend is going to do. I think many people are more likely to have "things go wrong..." with the traction control on than they are to make bad choices with the traction control off.

Last edited:

The Beast 2014

Established Member
You guys must drive like maniacs on the streets. In Seattle I can't get above 8 mph on my commute to work so even with the 600hp I can never use it which I am ok with. I will save it for the track. I never touch traction control unless I am there.

GTPaxton

Established Member
TC on makes the back end very predictable...I don't understand the unpredictable with tC on comments..and I drive very aggressively.. Lol...I only turn TC and SC off for dyno track and tuning logs...and on pump /stock exhaust /3.33 wastegate 10.1 spring /cat deletes made 581whp 527 tq on an MD heartbreaker dyno@6000rpms

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
TC on makes the back end very predictable...I don't understand the unpredictable with tC on comments..and I drive very aggressively.. Lol...I only turn TC and SC off for dyno track and tuning logs...and on pump /stock exhaust /3.33 wastegate 10.1 spring /cat deletes made 581whp 527 tq on an MD heartbreaker dyno@6000rpms

Less predictable because if you're on the gas and feel the backend get loose, you can often drive out of it if you know what you're doing. With TC on, the car attempts to correct itself. For me, it's unsettling because I don't know how the car is going to react to the input and it often does something I wouldn't expect it to do and I find myself overcorrecting. Try pushing your car through a turn on the freeway onramp, feeling it understeer, adding some gas to straighten things out, and have your car suddenly cut spark/fuel or apply the brakes. Scared myself twice like that when I first got the car and haven't driven with the nannies on since then.

Riptide

Established Member
When I'm on a straight section of road and the rear end wants to walk out I normally just get out of it right away. Usually straightens out pretty quickly on it's own after that.

I guess if it went hard sideways quickly you may be better off trying to stay in it and get it straight before getting out of the throttle.

5lho

Established Member
99 times out of 100 the nannies may startle you but, they won't let the car get out of shape. Everybody thinks they are Steve McQueen and they are in full control of everything at every second. That is hubris in the extreme, my friends and, it has the unfortunate habit of catching up with you, sooner or later.

GTPaxton

Established Member
@Snake ...Got cha...even on a turn today though back end stepped out I just got out of it and it straightened back up....I def understand your point though...the one time I stayed in it and counter steered I did an awesome ****ing drift hahahah

Last edited:

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
The only issue I have found since I joined the 700rwhp street club, is I go through rear brakes a lot quicker than I do fronts, so the TC must be doing something with the rear brakes

I turn it off about half the time, but often I forget about it. It is time for me to do rear brakes again

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I use it on the street allot too. I dig how you can engage and disengage it instantly pushing the button on the fly. This will be year #4 using it with a TVS and no harm done. I plan to test it at the track this year on 20" NT05R's.

Last edited:

cjd223

Established Member
I run with it on in 1st gear if the track has bad prep. Soon as the tires start to hook I turn it off before it shifts into 2nd. If the tires spin the least little bit at shifts the car noses over.

5lho

Established Member
I hear ya....my BBP '12 went through two sets of backs before the fronts needed doing....then I wrecked it under V3 boost :)

Users who are viewing this thread