Traction Control Question on Boosted Applications

5lho

Established Member
Of course, you turn it off at the strip but, turning off TC/SC on the street with 600+ horsepower is just stupid. Nothing is going to be harmed by leaving it on, you aren't "chancing" anything.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
OP why would closing the throttle and cutting spark hurt the motor?

If anything, it will save the motor.

stags

Established Member
I was told TCS can never be fully turned off, even the five second brake and hold is still just a higher threshold before it intervenes. Was told the fact it can't be completely turned off is why our insurance premiums aren't obscene and ford race cars use different PCMs

Sizeth3

Established Member
Of course, you turn it off at the strip but, turning off TC/SC on the street with 600+ horsepower is just stupid. Nothing is going to be harmed by leaving it on, you aren't "chancing" anything.

OP why would closing the throttle and cutting spark hurt the motor?

If anything, it will save the motor.

I don't know that's why I asked. Wouldn't closing the throttle at high rpm, example spinning at 7000 rpm, create compressor surge? So by having a bypass valve on my system, it won't hurt anything? Here is a blurb I found about compressor surge, which basically aligns with what I was wondering:

"Compressor surge is a problem that affects all superchargers and develops when the supercharger is creating boost, but the throttle shaft is closed. This condition can occur under deceleration or while shifting between gears, and can cause the car to sputter and chirp. Under surge, the compressor forces air into the closed throttle body until the pressure inside the throttle body is higher than the amount of pressure being created by the supercharger, and the air pops backward through the supercharger. At that point, pressure is released inside the throttle body and the compressor forces air back through the scroll and into the throttle body, which again has nowhere to go, and the process repeats. While surge normally is not highly damaging to the engine it is certainly annoying and can cause damage with time. To eliminate these problems under surge conditions, a bypass valve (sometimes called an anti-surge valve) is used to release the excess pressure. The bypass valve is actuated using intake manifold vaccuum, which opens the vent valve and releases pressure in the air-intake. Air is either released into the atmosphere (blowoff valve) or recirculated back through the supercharger compressor (bypass valve)."

5lho

Established Member
No, that's why you have a bypass valve. It will be fine, this happens all the time daily, the bypass is constantly spilling to relieve this. It's particularly important that this happen of something gear driven like an SC because it's being directly driven off the motor.

VA-Mach1

Established Member
How does the throttle close itself? Is the connection between the pedal and TB a cable or eclectic? If it's a cable it is not closing itself. It would have to cut fuel at the injectors which if under boost would cause damage.

5lho

Established Member
It's all electric. There hasn't been a cable on a Mustang throttle since they stopped making SN95s.

Flcracker

Established Member

I turn the traction control off every time I get in the car which has 600 whp and 550 tq. It's just more fun that way. The back end on these cars, with the right suspension set up, is very predictable. Guys at Power by the Hour say it's much safer on the drivetrain with it off. They have loads of experience.

Last edited:

Sizeth3

Established Member
I turn the traction control off every time I get in the car which has 600 whp and 550 tq. It's just more fun that way. The back end on these cars, with the right suspension set up, is very predictable. Guys at Power by the Hour say it's much safer on the drivetrain with it off. They have loads of experience.

This is feedback I am looking for thank you.

Riptide

Established Member
The 3v cars cut fuel. The new ones don't. Much safer.

FWIW on my 3v car the kenne bell tune did not disable TC by default. I always had to mind it. Turning it off by default entirely on those cars in the tune, just like these ones, results in a christmas tree light display on the dash. It's f'kn annoying.

Flcracker

Established Member
I believe that the main concern with leaving the traction control on involves the brakes grabbing with loss of traction during WOT and potentially damaging the drivetrain.

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
I turn the traction control off every time I get in the car which has 600 whp and 550 tq. It's just more fun that way. The back end on these cars, with the right suspension set up, is very predictable.

Agreed. Even though I'm only making 550ish, I have the MT-82 with 3.73's.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I am in the 700s and my E85 tune has the t/c turned all the way off. The lights are on though. Never asked my tuner why, he never asked if I wanted it off. Good enough for me.

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
Yea hopefully my Coyote car I just picked up is different than the terminator TC, people lost motors with that models TC from time to time. Always made sure it was off

barnspace007

Established Member
Traction control will help and save your ass in a street race. It will help peddle your car. It only cuts spark for a split second. When I'm at the drag strip I turn it off. There is plenty of grip at the strip. Not so much on the street....

barnspace007

Established Member
600 horsepower on the street is hell to control. Traction control helps harness all that power.

jp1seattle

Established Member
I turn mine completely off every time I start the car. I know the power I'm putting down and don't need anything else cutting it unexpectedly.

Also I was under the impression that a tune could NOT completely shut off all the nannies like the 5 sec brake/button method.

Users who are viewing this thread