Trade my GT500 for New auto 5.0?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Well never thouht I would make a post like this but I'm on the fence. Stopped by my local ford dealer today just for fun. Been looking at them for a while but never drove a new one. It drives smooth even with the paddle shifters. Quicker than the srt8 challenger they had me drive for sure but nothing like my Shelby of course. Nothing a few mods won't fix, just to see what they would offer I sat down with the mangager. They will give me invoice price on the 5.0 plus a 2900 rebate and 30k for my Shelby. I thought the most they would give me was like 25k on trade. I kind of like the idea of getting a new car to mess with but might miss the old girl. Thoughts and opinions welcome??

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The S550 Coyote Shortblocks are tough, much better rods than the S197 Coyote. The current Mustang is a GREAT heir to the Mustang legacy. With the right mods visually they look mean AF. A few mods and these auto S550 Coyotes are absolutely savage come performance wise.

Super charger, TB, intake and injectors should swap over easily enough. You'll need the rest of a Whipple S550 kit (VMP) to complete the swap. Upgraded CV Axles, drive shaft etc etc. You wouldnt be THAT far off depending on finances.

BUT

It will never be a Shelby. Even the current Shelby American Super Snakes... they dont have that same magic as a Flat Rock, MI produced Shelby car. Only do it because you want the challenge of a new build and or you want an automatic. 6R80 swaps for our GT500s got A TON easier with the Quick Shift 6 from US Shift though.

Id keep my Shelby... I almost had a chance at an S550 on Ford's nickle... but I couldnt give Scarlett up. Glad I didnt!

Maybe post over in the S550 section and see what they think.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I agree they are everywhere, now they have agreed to put the ford racing 670 kit on it at cost, hmmmmm. I know are cars are good for 700-750 at the wheel before problems. The 11-14 5.0s were 600whp limited unless you just didn't care. I haven't kept up on the S550 other than i know they improved the motor. What's the general consensus on safe whp limit on these new one's?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ill be the odd man out. First.. depends on what you want. Do you want to attack a 1/4 number? If so, dump the GT500 and go buy the S550.

The s550 with boost is EASILY the lighter, faster car. The '15+ Coyote is a brute ... rods are the Boss 302 units (stout!), crank is forged obviously, and the piston ring gaps have been opened up (less chance of pinching a ring and busting a ring land--perfect for boost). Almost as if Ford designed the 15+ coyote for the turbo/blower guys.

All of this "Shelby" talk and about how "special" it is... meh. I dont particularly see it. Its cool sure, but if you're a guy who wants to go as fast as possible in a straight line, its HARD to beat a boosted S550.

Easy 9 sec car for cheap (comparatively speaking).

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Well my Shelby is touching 700 whp so vs the auto 5.0 with the blower kit on a roll the old girl would win. In a drag race i think it would be close if i hit every gear perfectly. Mostly the guys out here want to do rolls since were hours from a track but every now and then we go from a dig.

fullboogie

Established Member
Hell, I've "missed" every car I ever sold at one point. Don't let that stop you. If you've got the itch for something new, go for it! New car, new projects, new excitement.

Plus, we don't really like you around here, so having you off this forum would be a bonus.:)

ponyboy96

Established Member
I'd keep what you've got all day long. If you can swing it keep your car and buy the other for a daily. Of course the dealer wants the deal. Have you seen what gt500s are going for now?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Hell, I've "missed" every car I ever sold at one point. Don't let that stop you. If you've got the itch for something new, go for it! New car, new projects, new excitement.

Plus, we don't really like you around here, so having you off this forum would be a bonus.:)

Lol true, i even think about my 98gt and the new edge vert sometimes.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I'd keep what you've got all day long. If you can swing it keep your car and buy the other for a daily. Of course the dealer wants the deal. Have you seen what gt500s are going for now?

My daily is an f250 so i don't really want another payment. Just what I've seen i the forums. 32-35 for my car as a garage queen. So 30k on trade which mine is no garage queen seems fair. With the rest of the deal included.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Would be pretty sweet to get it with a blower. I would probably do that deal. Will they slap on a warranty of any kind?

Full factory warranty stays intact when done by the ford dealer. Car only has 50 miles, That's what really has me considering it. I Might not have to mess with it for a while. Other than those skinny tires and quiet exhaust.

Famine

Established Member
Ill be the odd man out. First.. depends on what you want. Do you want to attack a 1/4 number? If so, dump the GT500 and go buy the S550.

The s550 with boost is EASILY the lighter, faster car. The '15+ Coyote is a brute ... rods are the Boss 302 units (stout!), crank is forged obviously, and the piston ring gaps have been opened up (less chance of pinching a ring and busting a ring land--perfect for boost). Almost as if Ford designed the 15+ coyote for the turbo/blower guys.

All of this "Shelby" talk and about how "special" it is... meh. I dont particularly see it. Its cool sure, but if you're a guy who wants to go as fast as possible in a straight line, its HARD to beat a boosted S550.

Easy 9 sec car for cheap (comparatively speaking).

Im sorry, but the s550 is also faster in turns, so its a win there too imo.

People that domt know anything about cars will see a shelby and just see another mustang, and there are plenty of those running around too.

That said, ive always wanted a shelby.

Users who are viewing this thread