Traded in my ten year old Ford....

jcthorne

Established Member
I traded in my ten year old Ford.....
They gave me this nice little chevy and a nice check as a thank you note.

Not a bad deal for your birthday....

IMG_0740-640x483.jpg

jcthorne

Established Member
Elite autos has some AWESOME cars.

Think you'll miss the GT?

YES, I will miss the GT a lot. I just got to the point over the last few months of being paranoid to drive it. Not the car or it performance, but damage to it and the financial burden that would cause. Parts have started escalating out of control, insurance going up with the values. Lots of excuses but I was no longer enjoying the car. Was a long time dream to own one and a major accomplishment in my life to get there. But after owning it several years, times change and we move on.

I have been an active member here at SVTP and a Ford nut for a LONG time and it was truly difficult to by the Vette. But I much look forward to the new experience and adventure.

Elite is an awsome dealership to work with . Bought my GT there years ago, wrecked that one and bought another. Sold 366 (unwrecked one) back to them and bought this new Z06. Each transaction has been great so far.

Zemedici

Established Member
YES, I will miss the GT a lot. I just got to the point over the last few months of being paranoid to drive it. Not the car or it performance, but damage to it and the financial burden that would cause. Parts have started escalating out of control, insurance going up with the values. Lots of excuses but I was no longer enjoying the car. Was a long time dream to own one and a major accomplishment in my life to get there. But after owning it several years, times change and we move on.

I have been an active member here at SVTP and a Ford nut for a LONG time and it was truly difficult to by the Vette. But I much look forward to the new experience and adventure.

Elite is an awsome dealership to work with . Bought my GT there years ago, wrecked that one and bought another. Sold 366 (unwrecked one) back to them and bought this new Z06. Each transaction has been great so far.

I can absolutely understand that. I sell Ford parts, and its insane what some of the parts prices for GTs are. I sold 2 kick plates last week, just the aluminum part, it was almost $500 for the pair. Ford called me and I had to verify the VIN of the car I was ordering them for, and why I was ordering them. The cars are going higher and higher in value, and the parts are slowly fading away in availability, hence the price skyrocketing.

I'm glad you got to accomplish your dream, and I hope the c7z treats you well. Any mods planned? Why Automatic over Manual? I bet it was a blast to row gears in the GT. The gentleman that I sold the GT parts to said the same thing, he's scared to drive the car, and he wants to pass it down to his sons. I bet at that point the cars will be worth 600-700k with lower miles.

jcthorne

Established Member
Bought the auto this time because on the Z06 its faster and wanted to actually have a launch control that worked. New toy. May not like it long term. Loved rowing the gears in the GT. Mine got driven. Little over 25k when I sold it.

Zemedici

Established Member
Bought the auto this time because on the Z06 its faster and wanted to actually have a launch control that worked. New toy. May not like it long term. Loved rowing the gears in the GT. Mine got driven. Little over 25k when I sold it.

Wow you did drive it. Very impressive. Props to you, its nice to see someone who actually enjoys driving the car vs keeping it in a bubble in their garage and not moving it for 10 years. Good luck with your Z06, sir. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! Very nice looking C7Z. I think you're going to love it, and in short time you'll miss your GT-500 less. :)

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Congratulations! Very nice looking C7Z. I think you're going to love it, and in short time you'll miss your GT-500 less. :)

I think he means Ford GT.

I think you'll love the vette, too. Congrats!

jcthorne

Established Member
O heck, why not post one more pic for old times....

GT Dalls skyline.jpg

Good by old friend. It was great fun and a privilege to know you.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Completely understandable from a financial standpoint as you said but I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell a GT if I had one.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I don't think I could do it, but if I did it would be for a ZR-1. Then again, if you've owned the GT for several years, you probably doubled your money and who knows what's going to happen to values when the new GT comes out in a year or so.

jcthorne

Established Member
Hard to explain to someone that has not owned one. Its a fabulous car.

But you think I should have left it sitting in my garage and undriven vs selling and moving on to something I can enjoy? Did you know they loose value at a rate of approx $6 per mile?, cost of repair when even minor things break is now astronomical and getting worse quickly.

The car was a LONG time dream for me and too many years to save up for. I did not let it go lightly. But I want to have a car I can drive and have some fun with again. I cannot afford both. So it really came down to stare at the beautiful work of automotive art in my garage or let it go and move on. Ford has nothing else for me to move on too. Would have been my choice.

I do think the GTs will continue to go up in value going forward. Not as fast as has been the case the last few years but up none the less. Parts prices will get far worse now that Ford is no longer obligated to supply them.

Users who are viewing this thread