Traded my 2012 in on a 2014

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
Interested to hear your comparisons. I went from a 2011 to a 2014 and was amazed. Even with a tune and pulley on my '11, the '14 feels like it's still 125+ horsepower ahead of the '11. The 2014 has a stiffer ride than the 2011 which I take to be a "200 mph" suspension versus a "155 mph suspension" (LOL). Third gear in the 2014 feels like second gear did in the 2011. Being able to take 2nd gear to 90+ and 3rd gear to 130+ mph is an adventure also. I slammed it into 4th gear the other day north of 130 mph and it broke the rear-end loose. No chirping the tires but actually broke loose and required a little "corrective" action on a three-lane interstate. A little (okay a lot) unnerving but fun as Hell. Most amazing is the improvement in my gas mileage. Yeah, pretty crazy but I've always tracked it pretty closely in my cars as they are daily drivers but if driven sensibly, they return surprisingly decent fuel economy (for a supercharged V-8). Enjoy your new ride, I am. :rolling:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Interested to hear your comparisons. I went from a 2011 to a 2014 and was amazed. Even with a tune and pulley on my '11, the '14 feels like it's still 125+ horsepower ahead of the '11. The 2014 has a stiffer ride than the 2011 which I take to be a "200 mph" suspension versus a "155 mph suspension" (LOL). Third gear in the 2014 feels like second gear did in the 2011. Being able to take 2nd gear to 90+ and 3rd gear to 130+ mph is an adventure also. I slammed it into 4th gear the other day north of 130 mph and it broke the rear-end loose. No chirping the tires but actually broke loose and required a little "corrective" action on a three-lane interstate. A little (okay a lot) unnerving but fun as Hell. Most amazing is the improvement in my gas mileage. Yeah, pretty crazy but I've always tracked it pretty closely in my cars as they are daily drivers but if driven sensibly, they return surprisingly decent fuel economy (for a supercharged V-8). Enjoy your new ride, I am. :rolling:

Interesting. I definitely noticed the power, but it's a bit odd. This car's much less visceral about the power, and actually is easier on my tires, which I'm guessing is due to the gearing differences (my 2012 was an SVTPP car). It's also a shitload easier to launch on the street, but I'll see if that transfers to the track.

I've been getting about 19 MPG on my drive home and 16 MPG on my drive to work, which isn't terribly different than what I was getting before.

There's a lot of differences, but I'm still getting used to the car. Once I've got another thousand miles or so on it, I'll have enough info for a proper review.

MCDEV

Established Member
Interesting. I definitely noticed the power, but it's a bit odd. This car's much less visceral about the power, and actually is easier on my tires, which I'm guessing is due to the gearing differences (my 2012 was an SVTPP car). It's also a shitload easier to launch on the street, but I'll see if that transfers to the track.

I've been getting about 19 MPG on my drive home and 16 MPG on my drive to work, which isn't terribly different than what I was getting before.

There's a lot of differences, but I'm still getting used to the car. Once I've got another thousand miles or so on it, I'll have enough info for a proper review.

Whoa 19MPG:bowdown: Im getting like 9MPG on average :burnout:

Maybe I need to take it easy on the throttle? :idea:

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
Big difference in 3.31 and 3.73 gears in the normal seat of the pants feel. I actually try to get into 5th of 6th gear as soon as I can in the interest of fuel economy, but I'm not above dropping down one or two gears in a spirited manner to gain a little space from the traffic around me (LOL). In the first 2,000 miles of ownership with my '14 I've averaged 19 mpg. My lowest tank has been 16.4 and best of 23.8 mpg. Another thing is the mpg meter in my Shelby (and my '11 too) is off on the gallons used by about 8% to 10% on each fill up. I keep good records on mine online through ( http://www.fuelly.com ) and it is always higher using actual figures versus what the trip gauge set says.

olaosunt

Established Member
Looking forward to review.

Thinking of doing the same thing with my 2011 in Sig,but conflicted though given the time and money I have put in it.It makes 700 hp/700 torque at the wheels and is a blast to drive.Never felt anything like it even though my 5.0 is now making close to 800 hp at the wheel but less torque.

I will be have to test drive one before I take the plunge if I do. Doubt they will let me test drive a new one around here(Despite all the cars I have bought from my dealer.)
One Dealer has a few used ones with 5-10,000 miles but they still want north of $60.000.LOL.
How did you do on trade in?
I have 23,000 miles now on mine.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Big difference in 3.31 and 3.73 gears in the normal seat of the pants feel. I actually try to get into 5th of 6th gear as soon as I can in the interest of fuel economy, but I'm not above dropping down one or two gears in a spirited manner to gain a little space from the traffic around me (LOL). In the first 2,000 miles of ownership with my '14 I've averaged 19 mpg. My lowest tank has been 16.4 and best of 23.8 mpg. Another thing is the mpg meter in my Shelby (and my '11 too) is off on the gallons used by about 8% to 10% on each fill up. I keep good records on mine online through ( http://www.fuelly.com ) and it is always higher using actual figures versus what the trip gauge set says.

That's interesting; if that's the case, then I'm probably getting a MPG or two better than my '12. I tended to average about 18 MPG on it, and I'm averaging 17.5 + 10% on the '14 now. I may have to track it a little closer and see.

Thinking of doing the same thing with my 2011 in Sig,but conflicted though given the time and money I have put in it.It makes 700 hp/700 torque at the wheels and is a blast to drive.Never felt anything like it even though my 5.0 is now making close to 800 hp at the wheel but less torque.

I will be have to test drive one before I take the plunge if I do. Doubt they will let me test drive a new one around here(Despite all the cars I have bought from my dealer.)
One Dealer has a few used ones with 5-10,000 miles but they still want north of $60.000.LOL.

Damn, that's a bad-assed set of cars there. I took a bath on the trade, predictably. I went to literally every Ford dealer with a GT500 in a 200 mile radius, and they all offered me 27K or less for my car. I finally got the one I bought from talked up to 32K (I started at 40K, which was NADA value), but he wouldn't go any higher. All of them told me the same thing: with 57K miles, it's going straight to auction.

Congrats on the purchase. I like the wheels too.

Thanks man :beer:

USV8PWR

Established Member
Congrats on the new Shelby man! But I've got to ask...how in the hell did you put 57K miles on the 2012?!? And will the 2014 be driven anywhere close as much as the 2012 was??

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Congrats on the new Shelby man! But I've got to ask...how in the hell did you put 57K miles on the 2012?!? And will the 2014 be driven anywhere close as much as the 2012 was??

I drive ~90 miles a day to and from work, and the Shelby is my DD. I also tend to take long trips a couple of times a year and drive it. I drive the car a lot, basically. :D

As for putting miles on this one, that depends. I may go back to riding the train in to work a little later in the year and keep the miles off of it, but I'm not sure if that's going to work out (we are switching offices, and I'm not sure about the distance to the station and so forth).

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member

My 2011 was also my daily driver with 42,000 in about 4 years of ownership. Not a high number for a normal car but a lot for a Shelby GT-500. You can find lot's of 2007 and up Shelby's with only a couple thousand miles or less per year of ownership. The dealerships were offering wholesale pricing on trade-in of $30 to $33K. Plus of my two local dealerships, one still asks $5 to 10K over MSRP and the other, where I had bought my '11, had none. They had sold their allotment and weren't expecting any inbounds. He called around for me but the other dealerships weren't giving up their inventories. I started searching on cargurus.com and found 36 within a 300 mile radius and started calling. I called one dealership and asked their best price, they came $2500 off the MSRP and I bought it an drove it home.

A friend of mine had sold his 2010 Shelby overseas to another friend in New Zealand who had another buddy interested in a Shelby. I ended up selling it to him for $33K, which would have been my best trade-in price anyways. I know it's going to a good home and it's costing him another $10K in shipping cost alone. Made us both happy.

dom418

Established Member
I drive ~90 miles a day to and from work, and the Shelby is my DD. I also tend to take long trips a couple of times a year and drive it. I drive the car a lot, basically. :D

As for putting miles on this one, that depends. I may go back to riding the train in to work a little later in the year and keep the miles off of it, but I'm not sure if that's going to work out (we are switching offices, and I'm not sure about the distance to the station and so forth).

Soooooo you are using the car for what it was meant for....to be driven and not preserved like my grandmother's couch with the plastic on it lol:beer: kudos to you sir!

I absolutely LOVE the rear shot of your Shelby! I don't know if it's the wheels or what but it's badass congrats!

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Congrats & good luck with the new ride..

Soooooo you are using the car for what it was meant for....to be driven and not preserved like my grandmother's couch with the plastic on it lol:beer: kudos to you sir!

I absolutely LOVE the rear shot of your Shelby! I don't know if it's the wheels or what but it's badass congrats!

Thanks, I'd buy a beater and preserve it, but I'd never be able to make myself drive the beater, lol :rolling:

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
I am in Hayward NetworkingGuru. We should hook up one of these days. As a matter of fact, there is a Mustang cruise starting from Treasure Island to Half Moon Bay tomorrow at 12pm. Would be a good chance to meet up.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I am in Hayward NetworkingGuru. We should hook up one of these days. As a matter of fact, there is a Mustang cruise starting from Treasure Island to Half Moon Bay tomorrow at 12pm. Would be a good chance to meet up.

I talked to the wife about it, and that sounds great. Shoot me the details. :burnout:

olaosunt

Established Member
Damn, that's a bad-assed set of cars there. I took a bath on the trade, predictably. I went to literally every Ford dealer with a GT500 in a 200 mile radius, and they all offered me 27K or less for my car. I finally got the one I bought from talked up to 32K (I started at 40K, which was NADA value), but he wouldn't go any higher. All of them told me the same thing: with 57K miles, it's going straight to auction.

Thanks man,but not one of them is as badassed as your Shelby.
Tried to keep the M3 but the CFO would not budge.:dw:

I had considered trading the Shelby(would demod first) for the S4
Car max offered me $29,000 when it had 21,000 miles :lol1:

olaosunt

Established Member
My 2011 was also my daily driver with 42,000 in about 4 years of ownership. Not a high number for a normal car but a lot for a Shelby GT-500. You can find lot's of 2007 and up Shelby's with only a couple thousand miles or less per year of ownership. The dealerships were offering wholesale pricing on trade-in of $30 to $33K. Plus of my two local dealerships, one still asks $5 to 10K over MSRP and the other, where I had bought my '11, had none. They had sold their allotment and weren't expecting any inbounds. He called around for me but the other dealerships weren't giving up their inventories. I started searching on cargurus.com and found 36 within a 300 mile radius and started calling. I called one dealership and asked their best price, they came $2500 off the MSRP and I bought it an drove it home.

A friend of mine had sold his 2010 Shelby overseas to another friend in New Zealand who had another buddy interested in a Shelby. I ended up selling it to him for $33K, which would have been my best trade-in price anyways. I know it's going to a good home and it's costing him another $10K in shipping cost alone. Made us both happy.

I would be happy if I can get $35K after demodding or $40K privately with mods.
Car max offered me $29K last December when I was looking to trade for S4.:lol1:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Thanks man,but not one of them is as badassed as your Shelby.
Tried to keep the M3 but the CFO would not budge.:dw:

I had considered trading the Shelby(would demod first) for the S4
Car max offered me $29,000 when it had 21,000 miles :lol1:

I don't know man, that GT sounds awesome, and your 2011 is putting out ~100 RWHP more than mine. Both awesome cars to be sure.

Anyhow, if you really want to trade it, you are probably going to have to play hardball to get the number you want. Like I said, I went to EVERY SINGLE DEALERSHIP within 200 miles. All were giving me the 25-27K number. I finally got one that wanted to sell the car bad enough to be willing to take the risk on mine, and they came up to 32K sight unseen. I would think you should be able to get 35K for yours, as long as you are willing to walk away if they don't budge.

Jealous!!!! I wish I could swing the payment.

Thanks man. In my case, I got a lower interest rate on the '14 than I did on the '12, so the payment was only $100 more than my '12. Pretty much a no-brainer, financially, even though I got bent over on the trade.

Users who are viewing this thread