Trans Issues.....

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
An investigation has been opened by the NHTSA

2011-2012 Mustang transmissions - NHTSA

Thanks! I was looking for this.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out for us with issues.....

I am just shy of 800 miles, and it is now very notchy in first and second gear, almost like it does not want to engage or disengage. And fifth as always....

What did Ford save by going to the M-82 versus the 6060? $100 per unit?

Does anyone make a "dog box" kit for the M-82's? As mine needs all new internals.....

Mike

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I was really interested in this comment of the announcement.

They claim that one insider is reporting that the problem may stem from Ford's effort to save money by using an older design of the Chinese made transmission. "The design had a drawback, a gear rattle, which Ford engineers quieted by requiring a thicker transmission fluid. Except the thicker fluid causes some of the gears to slip, creating extra wear and missed or notchy shifting.

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
Thanks! I was looking for this.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out for us with issues.....

I am just shy of 800 miles, and it is now very notchy in first and second gear, almost like it does not want to engage or disengage. And fifth as always....

What did Ford save by going to the M-82 versus the 6060? $100 per unit?

Does anyone make a "dog box" kit for the M-82's? As mine needs all new internals.....

Mike

I would think there is a bigger price difference between the MT82 and TR6060. Also, the 6060 has it's own issues with the 1-2 gear clash/lockout during high RPM shifting.

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
2011 Mustang Transmission Swap - Toughen Your Transmission - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

I am going to save $$ and get one of these for the Boss!

Then the POS MT-82 can be rebuilt and sit on the shelf where it wont get hurt!

Wake up FORD and other US Companies, we are awakening, and may lead to an economic rebirth for AMERICAN MANUFACTURED MATERIALS!

For fun go into a store, like Walmart and place all your items from Apple Juice to hose connectors in your cart, then at the checkout start putting the made in China stuff on the floor. I'll bet you will get a few comments from those around you as you stand in a pile of $hit!

Mike

wbt

Banned
DO NOT put Synchromesh fluid in your MT-82 trans. This is terrible advice.

The MT-82 ships with Ford QMS fluid from the factory. The cold shift notchiness TSB calls for replacing the fluid with FORD DCT which is a 75w-90 gear oil.

I use RP 75w-90 in my MT-82 and it works like a dream.

To resolve missing 3rd issue, replace the stock shifter with the Barton unit along with the shifter housing support bracket.

I run the piss out of my car at the strip and my trans has had 0 issues.

Hope that helps. :beer:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
DO NOT put Synchromesh fluid in your MT-82 trans. This is terrible advice.

I have experience with many fluid swaps with even cheap Pennzoil synchromesh users that will disagree with you. This is excellent advice.

The MT-82 ships with Ford QMS fluid from the factory. The cold shift notchiness TSB calls for replacing the fluid with FORD DCT which is a 75w-90 gear oil.

WOW! Where are you getting your information? The TSB fluid has the viscosity of a 20 grade engine lubricant. That is no where near a 75W-90 gear lube.

Here is a UOA of Ford's OEM QMS Getrag lube. After 6,000 miles, it had the sheared viscosity of a very heavy 30 grade lubricant (12.4 cSt @100*C).

Here is a VOA from the TSB replacement DCT fluid from Ford. It has the virgin viscosity of a very light 20 grade lubricant (6.28 cSt @ 100*C)

To be the viscosity of 75W-90 gear oil would required a cSt viscosity of 13.99 to 23.99. Just for reference....most 75W-90 gear lubes will be closer to 16.9-18.9. Royal Purple 75W-90 has is 17.5 cSt @ 100*C.

Iron 1
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Copper 0
Tin 1
Aluminum 2
Silver 1
Boron 238
Magnesium 1
Calcium 43
Phosphorus 2318
Zinc 3
Moly 139
vis @100°C 17.5

visc.jpg

I use RP 75w-90 in my MT-82 and it works like a dream.

Congratulations, you are using a fluid that is more viscous than the initial factory fill. You have better results because you are using a fluid with superior base stocks with an abundance of "slippery" friction modifiers, and the barton shifter bracket has eliminated remote shifter bind. Just wait until this hot summer weather is over, and let's see how much you boast about the heavy gear oil you have in your transmission. It may be great in the heat...but the cold weather is coming.

True synthetic synchromesh formulations are the perfect compromise between too viscosity that not will hinder cold weather operation, will minimizing gear noise that is inherent of the getrag design chosen by Ford, and will provide grind free operation with maximum wear prevention. They are about 9.5-10.5 cSt @ 100*C, heavier than the TSB lube, but lighter than the OEM spec'd lube.

Last edited:

wbt

Banned
I have experience with many fluid swaps with even cheap Pennzoil synchromesh users that will disagree with you. This is excellent advice.

WOW! Where are you getting your information? The TSB fluid has the viscosity of a 20 grade engine lubricant. That is no where near a 75W-90 gear lube.

Here is a UOA of Ford's OEM QMS Getrag lube. After 6,000 miles, it had the sheared viscosity of a very heavy 30 grade lubricant (12.5 cSt @100*C).

Here is a VOA from the TSB replacement DCT fluid from Ford. It has the virgin viscosity of a very light 20 grade lubricant (6.28 cSt @ 100*C)

To be the viscosity of 75W-90 gear oil would required a cSt viscosity of 13.99 to 23.99. Just for reference....most 75W-90 gear lubes will be closer to 16.9-18.9. Royal Purple 75W-90 has is 17.5 cSt @ 100*C.

Iron 1
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Copper 0
Tin 1
Aluminum 2
Silver 1
Boron 238
Magnesium 1
Calcium 43
Phosphorus 2318
Zinc 3
Moly 139
vis @100°C 17.5

visc.jpg

Congratulations, you are using a fluid that is more viscous than the initial factory fill. You have better results because you are using a fluid with superior base stocks, and the barton shifter bracket has eliminated remote shifter bind. Just wait until this hot summer weather is over, and let's see how much you boast about the heavy gear oil you have in your transmission. It may be great in the heat...but the cold weather is coming.

True synthetic synchromesh formulations are the perfect compromise between too viscous that will hinder cold weather operation, minimizing gear noise that is inherent of the getrag design chosen by Ford, and grind free operation with wear prevention. They are about 9.5-10.5 cSt @ 100*C, heavier than the TSB lube, but lighter than the OEM spec'd lube.

Wrong on multiple levels again:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/msds/us183455us.pdf
(Hint: Look at section 9 for viscosity and then link that to the site below)
http://www.tribology-abc.com/abc/viscosity.htm

Do some better research next time. Synchromax is the WRONG fluid to be running in the MT-82 period. TERRIBLE ADVICE! :fm:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Wrong on multiple levels again:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/msds/us183455us.pdf
(Hint: Look at section 9 for viscosity and then link that to the site below)
http://www.tribology-abc.com/abc/viscosity.htm

Do some better research next time. Synchromax is the WRONG fluid to be running in the MT-82 period. TERRIBLE ADVICE! :fm:

Please allow me to help you understand where you are not looking at things on an equal plane.

The MSDS sheet you posted was the lubricant's viscosity rating at 40*C, not 100*C.

Besides, I already have an exact VOA of the lubricant in question, and it's clearly a 20 grade lubricant.

Let's use a lubricant that is similar in viscosity, Amsoil Low Viscosity ATF

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) ATF = 6.0 | DTC = 6.28

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) ATF = 29.8 | DTC = 32.0

My 100*C number, and the 40*C number that explains the MSDS sheet falls in place, and proves my point.

Last edited:

wbt

Banned
Please allow me to help you understand where you are not looking at things on an equal plane.

The MSDS sheet you posted was the lubricant tested at 40*C, not 100*C.

Besides, I already have an exact VOA of the lubricant in question, and it's clearly a 20 grade lubricant.

Let's use a lubricant that is similar in viscosity, Amsoil Low Viscosity ATF

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) ATF = 6.0 | DTC = 6.28

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) ATF = 29.8 | DTC = 32.0

My 100*C number, and the 40*C number that explains the MSDS sheet falls in place, and proves my point.

I will need to eat some crow on this one. I believe you are correct on the DCT. My apologies. That doesn't mean I have any plans to jump to a lighter fluid. :beer:

Back to the 75w-90....I have had nothing but success and will continue to recommend/use it. My trans shifts better after the change and have been to the strip many times since on slicks.

Anywho, my fail on the DCT misread. :kaboom:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
It's all good wbt, no harm no foul. You are having great results with Royal Purple gear lube because it does have a superior base stock containing uniform molecules. This coupled with the additional friction modifiers, and you have one slippery lubricant. This is far superior to the OEM fill within the MT-82 Getrag transmission, although in the coldest months of the year, you will begin to see the negative effects of such a heavy lubricant.

If this problem presents itself, consider changing out RP 75W-90 with a top tier synchromesh.

Last edited:

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Another good thread here and I read the three suggestions earlier. My issue is grinding into second and occasionally fourth gear. It happens most frequently when cold but can happen at any time. It seems to happen more in low and medium rpm's and shifts fine at high rpm WOT shifts from first to second, second to third, and third to fourth. Yesterday I took my car to the dealer for my first oil change at 1,200 miles. I complained about the grinding in second gear and they test drove the car (it was warmed up) and stated that it was normal. The service manager also stated there was a TSB but did nothing. My car is a June 2011 build.

So the question I have is does my car have the TSB fluid in it already or is Ford only installing the other oil when they receive complaints?

Also I have been reading UB's posts about the 5W50 motor oil and am still undecided. I usually change the oil in my new cars at around 1,000 miles and decided for the first change to use Motorcraft. I have my first track day in a few weeks and will change it again after that to either Amsoil or Redline. BTW when I got home I noticed on my invoice they installed 5W20 oil! Obviously I'll have them correct that before I go to the track. The SM asked me if mine took full synthetic and I stated yes it's 5W50. It also states 5W50 on the oil fill cap! :uh oh:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have my first track day in a few weeks and will change it again after that to either Amsoil or Redline.

Whichever brand you choose, I wouldn't exceed a 10W-40 grade lubricant for 20-30 minute road racing sessions in the Boss Roadrunner engine. For daily use, and aggressive street driving, 10W-30 is more than sufficient.

Watch the video below and everyone will understand where some of the grinding issues are coming from in the MT-82.

[youtube_browser]NSOTbkTLC-s[/youtube_browser]

fake

Established Member
I can't believe Red Line MTL is not really being discussed here. The Red Line MTL falls right in the middle of the factory toxic junk ford fills the trannies with at factory and the TSB junk ford is putting in. My recommendation: Red Line MTL or RP, JHR shift bracket; or get the MGW when it comes out. He is my review as well as many others on the MTL.

"Thanks to Sam Strano and his company. Ordered 3 qts from sam and got it in this afternoon. Took the GT out for a quick ride to warm up the tranny fluid. Hardest part of the entire thing was breaking lose the drain and fill plug.

There was some guy who wrote that the stock fluid gave him the creeps. I have to agree 100%. What is this sh*t Ford put in the MT82???? The first thing I noticed was the strong chemical smell it had. The next thing I noticed was that the fluid started burning my eyes and burning my nose. The wife walked into the garage and asked what that horrible smell was? Again, what is this sh*t Ford put in the MT82?????? I got some of this toxic crap on my hands. I'm expecting to wake up in the morning with an extra finger that has grown on my hand in the morning.

The MTL has a nice transmission oil smell. I welcomed that smell over the toxic ford crap.

I had an old car wash bucket that I cleaned and drained the toxic ford oil into. I then marked with a sharpie the level it was at. Dumped the toxic ford crap, washed the bucket and filled the MTL to the line where the Ford oil was at. Had a two way pump and had the new MTL in the tranny case within 5 minutes.

Right off the bat, putting the car in reveres was smooth. Drove around for about 8 miles and I could shift every gear with one finger. My tranny was pretty smooth to begin with but I did have the notchy 1-2. The notchy 1-2 is gone. Every gear is silky smooth. I've also got the JHR transmission bracket, so this transmission is shifting nice now. I highly recommend the MTL fluid swap as opposed to keeping the swamp toxic crap ford had in there.

I've also read that the more miles I put on and get the MTL worked into the syncro's the shifting will become even better."

My turn on the Redline MTL review. - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Last edited:

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
So in my infinite wisdom.....

I decided to see what the Boss puts down for power....

And yes, in 5th gear.....

Only made one pull, the car laid down 395 WHP and 351 ft/tq..... The clutch crapped out somewhere at 5500 RPM.

The grinding that I have "felt" while driving on the street is SO much more violent from outside the car going into 5th gear...... It made the car move like it hit a speed bump.

With one pull the car reeked of slipping clutch......

Thankfully the car made it home.....

Looks like the summer is over for driving the BOSS.... 2+ months at the dealer here we go! I will be ordering the new transmission and clutch upgrade once the car is "fixed" by Ford.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread