Trans Issues.....

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
I am worried about oil flow, not quality materials or construction.

System1 oil filters!! They screw on in place of you stock filter. you can take the bottom off, and slip the screen cartridge out for inspection and cleaning. You buy it once(around $125), and never again. It's one of the best parts I've ever purchased for my race car.

What does "race car" spell backwards?:rockon:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
System1 oil filters!! They screw on in place of you stock filter. you can take the bottom off, and slip the screen cartridge out for inspection and cleaning. You buy it once(around $125), and never again. It's one of the best parts I've ever purchased for my race car.

What does "race car" spell backwards?:rockon:

They are only rated down to 30 microns. Do you have a detailed spec sheet for these filters?

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
As this car is so inherent to trans issues, my dealer has advised me that they will change the fluid..... 2 weeks and they still do not have the fluid in..... REALLY! 5th gear grinds and pops out upon normal driving. It sounds like the syncros are junk...... If just the fluid is my fix, then Ford's R&D / testing teams need new jobs!

I am leery to do anything to this car, as Ford has stated in several TSB's that even oil changes with a non-approved viscosity will void your warranty.....

Why would Ford put a Chinese Transmission in this car! To me it is like selling your SOUL!

Love the car hate the transmission! If Ford does recommend a replacement transmission, then my car becomes a non-numbers matching car, and I will be PISSED!

Mike

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
As this car is so inherent to trans issues, my dealer has advised me that they will change the fluid..... 2 weeks and they still do not have the fluid in..... REALLY! 5th gear grinds and pops out upon normal driving. It sounds like the syncros are junk...... If just the fluid is my fix, then Ford's R&D / testing teams need new jobs!

I'm still puzzled by Ford's lack of service when it comes to the grind issues of the MT82. New Orleans had faster service from FEMA after Katrina. :dw:

I am leery to do anything to this car, as Ford has stated in several TSB's that even oil changes with a non-approved viscosity will void your warranty.....

Hogwash, re-read post #13 in this thread. The fluid I have recommended will protect your transmission far better than the fluid Ford is pouring into your gear box stated by the TSB. *protects better than the factory fill and TSB fill*

Why would Ford put a Chinese Transmission in this car! To me it is like selling your SOUL!

Love the car hate the transmission! If Ford does recommend a replacement transmission, then my car becomes a non-numbers matching car, and I will be PISSED!

Mike

I have more than one person (local) that took my advice and used the fluid I recommended, and a couple other mods to make high rpm shifting easy. They are happy and all shifting issues have been eliminated. I understand your fear of warranty issues, and agree that this should have worked perfect from the manufacturer, but this issue has already been tackled and solved by the consumer. We didn't need Ford for this one.

Don't worry about matching numbers. I have never seen a VIN number stamped in the case of a Mustang transmission, ever.

Last edited:

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Don't worry about matching numbers. I have never seen a VIN number stamped in the case of a Mustang transmission, ever.

I have seen several vin#s on transmissions through the years. All the '95R's had vin#s on the tailhousing. I've seen '67 390GT Must 4-speed trans with vin#. Even a '70 Mach1 factory 4-speed. Maybe I've seen them because I've repaired a bunch through the years.

$.02 again,

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks for your knowledge on transmissions on older Mustang. My fault is that I only have experience with the S197 body style T3650 and T6060 Tremec, and I've never noticed a VIN on either of those.

Does anyone know if there is one?

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Had the TSB done with the fluid change...... The car does seem to shift better, BUT fifth gear grinds what seems like worse than before. The dealer would like me to drive the car more to see if this fixes the issue....... Have 30 miles on it so far from the fluid change..... Looks like a rebuild to me.....

Mike

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Cheap fluid is CHEAP....lol

probably has the wrong levels of friction modifiers, anti-wear additives, etc....

Does it grind from the 4-5 shift while driving easy, or only aggressive driving?

Does it grind in any other gears while aggressive driving?

Last edited:

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Cheap fluid is CHEAP....lol

probably has the wrong levels of friction modifiers, anti-wear additives, etc....

Does it grind from the 4-5 shift while driving easy, or only aggressive driving?

Does it grind in any other gears while aggressive driving?

As of now only fifth gear. WOT, or at idle rpm at speed, down shifting and upshifting, all the time. Even when at a stop and idling a going from neutral to fifth gear.....

And yes, your sig is addicting.....

Mike

RSKtakR

Established Member
As of now only fifth gear. WOT, or at idle rpm at speed, down shifting and upshifting, all the time. Even when at a stop and idling a going from neutral to fifth gear.....

And yes, your sig is addicting.....

Mike

You are going to have a whole slew of parts that need to be replaced in your trans.. I KNEW this same POS trans was going to be exactly the same in the BOSS's as what was in the 2011 gt's.. My trans was doing the EXACT same shit your trans is doing and Ford had to replace a bunch of internals. .Im trying to find my post of all the parts that I listed on one of these websites so that you can take the list of parts to your service dept and tell them to shove thier fluid swap up thier ass.. all the fluid swap will do is make your trans whine loudER then it does w/ the thicker stuff.. ask me how I know..

EDIT.. found it.. here is my post

I just picked my car up.. here is a list of everything that was replaced:
-br3z*7m000*b cone ring sunchronizer
-br3z*7107*f ring synchronizer
-br3z*7124*c hub synchronizer
-br3z*7m000*a cone and gear asy 5th speed
-br3z*7107*f ring synchronizer
-br3z*7a010*a plug blanking
-br3z*7048*a seal input shaft
-br3z*7017*a shaft input
-br3z*7102*a gear mainshaft 2nd speed
-br3z*7107*c ring synchronizer
-br3z*7124*a hub synchronizer
-br3z*7107*a ring synchronizer
-br3z*7052*a seal asy oil
-br3z*7107*d ring synchronizer
-br3z*7107*b ring synchronizer
-br3z*7144*a gear 5th speed cluster
-br3z*7c031*c pin
-xt*m5*qs fluid
-adhesive
notes: test drive to confirm grinds going into 5th gear, removed trans and inspect found 2nd gear gear badly worn and5th gear badly worn, replaced 1-2 synchro and 5-6 synchro input shaft teeth worn replaced input shaft test drive confirm shift pattern.

The car shifts good, no grinds or whining right now, still feels a BIT notchy but I dont mind it really.. goes into all gears good as of now.

and here is a link to the main thread everyone was getting on.. look how many views and posts to THIS thread!!

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...anual-transmission-rough-shifting-thread.html

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If the cars would have changed the heavy fluid from day 1, all of those parts would not have been worn. The reason why the transmission needs to be rebuilt is due to the wrong spec'd fluid in the gear box and sloppy factory shifter. Constant grinding wears it out, then the fluid swap is worthless.

Too many local Getrac 5.0 cars local are running great on the factory build transmission with nothing more than a proper fluid in the gear box, and other mods to improves the sloppy factory shifter. Yes, there transmission were exactly like yours before the changes were made.

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Thanks for this info! I have seen the thread on AFM, 101 pages deep!

I am making an assumption to the build date to my car as being no earlier than 03.01.2011, and I wonder why from the dealer that the transmission would not have had the corrected viscosity and fluid type already filled in...... Based on Grappone Ford's service department stating for me to drive the car to "see if it get's better and goes away", I am certain that this 5th gear will be gone in less than 500 miles. Previously I would not use 5th gear with the grinding, but now I am using it and it is getting awful.....

Again, KEEP THE CHINEESE $HIT out of our AMERICAN MADE CARS! HELLO FORD! Have this MFG's in our COUNTRY! Keep outsourcing, and we will all be driving KIA's eventually!

Mike

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Will a good American MANUFACTURED T 5-6 fit in my car? Looking at D&D's website..... Nothing here yet......

This would enable the car to be driven and Ford to rebuild the Original unit..... To then sit on a shelf until my kids sell the car!

Mike

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

Federal law mandates that certain parts be stamped with the vehicles VIN and I believe the transmission is among them. The Tremec 6060, as used on our beloved GT500's, has the last 8 digits of your vin marked on the case - driver side.

Trannyoriginal047.jpg

Trannyoriginal043.jpg

Trannyoriginal046.jpg

Note that if you buy a 6060 via the aftermarket, it won't have this mark (obviously).

Again, KEEP THE CHINEESE $HIT out of our AMERICAN MADE CARS! HELLO FORD! Have this MFG's in our COUNTRY! Keep outsourcing, and we will all be driving KIA's eventually!

On it's face, your argument would seem to hold water - I agree. In the global economy that is calendar year 2011, it simply won't work that way. Competitiveness, is being driven by labor costs as of late. The arguments on all sides begs for a separate thread in order for thorough, detailed explanation to be laid out and clearly understood. As Ford puts it

Ford said:
Our foreign competitors are leaner and stronger, accounting for a significant percentage of the vehicles built and sold in the U.S. Globalization is accelerating, and the world’s best automakers are all continually innovating to satisfy the customer, reducing costs and increasing productivity. To continue to compete globally, Ford must always aim to be world class in every measure. We will provide more jobs and greater job security if we can compete with automakers around the world. If not, we will be forced to move jobs to more competitive labor markets.
http://www.fordahead.com/home/global-strategy/

Will a good American MANUFACTURED T 5-6 fit in my car? Looking at D&D's website..... Nothing here yet......

The T56 isn't manufactured in the United States. Here is where they are manufactured. Our 6060 is also made in Mexico. For a little more information, peruse TTC's shitty site.

RSKtakR

Established Member
Thanks for this info! I have seen the thread on AFM, 101 pages deep!

I am making an assumption to the build date to my car as being no earlier than 03.01.2011, and I wonder why from the dealer that the transmission would not have had the corrected viscosity and fluid type already filled in...... Based on Grappone Ford's service department stating for me to drive the car to "see if it get's better and goes away", I am certain that this 5th gear will be gone in less than 500 miles. Previously I would not use 5th gear with the grinding, but now I am using it and it is getting awful.....

Mike

If I were you I would just hurry up and get the 5th gear to the point that they will change the parts. the long that you drive that car w/ that metal filled fluid in that trans the more worn the rest of the parts are going to get that WONT get changed out. Actually you should just print out all the parts I had replaced and take to them and leave them the car, and say "Fix my F'n $42k car!!"

As far as a trans swap.. your better off doing a T56 Magnum swap.. it seems to the cheapest route that will handle good torque/power. As soon as thie trans shoots craps again (after my warranty is done) that is the conversion kit I will be running.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks for the update Tob, I must have missed this when I changed the fluid in my transmission. I looked for a VIN# too....

I also agree, Tremec's website SUCKS!

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
My transmission is $hit and the parts are all back ordered.... Dealer said 4-8 weeks.... Nope, i'm driving it until the parts are commercially available then they can have it all winter!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread