Trans Issues.....

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
With 105 miles on the clock, I have successfully missed 3 4 times WOT and gone into fifth gear. What could I have bent that will keep 5th gear from staying in when shifted to?

What is more odd is that the 5th gear pop out is not consistent..... The harder I drive the more prevalent the pop-out is, casual driving it is fine. Is this anything to do with the "skip shift" feature??

Insane car, weird transmission!~

Mike

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
With 105 miles on the clock, I have successfully missed 3rd 4 times WOT and gone into fifth gear. What could I have bent that will keep 5th gear from staying in when shifted to?

What is more odd is that the 5th gear pop out is not consistent..... The harder I drive the more prevalent the pop-out is, casual driving it is fine. Is this anything to do with the "skip shift" feature??

Insane car, weird transmission!~

Mike

Today the trans acts fine.... Still miss 3rd gear! Will a Steeda Triax fix this?

Mike

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The first step of repairing the MT-82 transmission quirks is a top tier synchromesh fluid. The factory fill is all wrong for that transmission. Success has been reported with Pennzoil Synchromech, but I prefer a true synthetic base stock.

Amsoil Synchromesh

To further reduce shifting issues at WOT (transmission shifter torque binding), install these.

Barton Shifter bracket

Che Torque limiters

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
The first step of repairing the MT-82 transmission quirks is a top tier synchromesh fluid. The factory fill is all wrong for that transmission. Success has been reported with Pennzoil Synchromech, but I prefer a true synthetic base stock.

Amsoil Synchromesh

To further reduce shifting issues at WOT (transmission shifter torque binding), install these.

Barton Shifter bracket

Same problem here, we are trying both of those In that order!

Barton- Shifter Bracket
0_0_0_0_372_306_csupload_27336387.jpg

Stock- Shifter Bracket
0_0_0_0_317_261_csupload_27336481.jpg

Last edited:

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Thanks for the great INFO! I will get some new fluids and the brackets to see how they help.

200 all smile miles so far! This 5.0 is the best engine EVER!

Mike

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Last edited:

Entrenched

Established Member
There is also the choice of Royal Purple Synchromax as an excellent fluid replacement.:p:-D

http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/synchromax-ps.pdf

I am running Royal Purple Synchromax in my trans and have for the last 3K miles with zero issues. The trans is much easier to shift. I'm still using the stock shifter and mount, with a Mcleod RXT, GT500 SS clutch line, and upgraded fluid (Super Blue). Lots of 7500 rpm shifts and zero missed gears!

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
I now have 320 miles on the car, and 5th gear is grinding on up shifts and down shifts with the clutch depressed for several seconds before going into gear..... It has to go to the dealer next week, something is not right...... mechanically.

Mike

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I now have 320 miles on the car, and 5th gear is grinding on up shifts and down shifts with the clutch depressed for several seconds before going into gear..... It has to go to the dealer next week, something is not right...... mechanically.

Mike

A TSB was released on your transmission requiring a fluid change. This horse has been beat to death in more than one thread, and synchromesh was the first solution.

Here are some posts you must read.

Amsoil MT-82 post #1

Amsoil MT-82 post #2

Pennzoil MT-82 post #1

Here is a good link, and contains a VOA and UOA of the different OEM fluids used in the MT-82.

Post #900

MT-82 factory fill is a heavy 30 grade/ almost a light 40 grade lubricant (cSt 12.5 - used)
XT-11-QDC is a light 20 grade lubricant (cSt 6.28 - virgin) <---- same viscosity of the newer lighter viscosity ATF
Amsoil Synchromesh is a light 30 grade lubricant (cSt 9.6 - virgin) <---- best compromise for noise, anti-wear, and shifting performance.

This is a big difference in viscosity, shifts will be easier, noise will increase.

IMO, the whine noise is from using a fluid with decreased viscosity. It naturally allows for more gear noise. Ford may have attempted to use a heavier lubricant to reduce gear noise, and had bad results with shift grinding.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I also think that a large number of these cars are still not getting full clutch disengagement, maybe not as many as the 2011-2012 GTs, but I think it is still not completely eliminated across the Boss build spectrum.

This is most unfortunate given the absolute mind blowing performance envelope and content that comes with every version of the Boss Mustang.

I still hope to own one of these someday.:rockon:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
What does that stuff usually run?
my local Napa carries both Amsoil and Royal Purple, he said he ran out of the syncromesh but would have more on Tues, not sure if had trans fluid in the Royal P either, said the Amsoil stuff was like $10.00 + tax

Low teens.

These guys do a great job with our whole Automotive product line and seem to consistently have very competitive pricing. http://www.lucky7trucks.com/

We are not likely to ever be the lowest price when selecting premium automotive fluids.

Synchromax - > Transmission Fluid, Royal purple synthetic oil, Max products

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I only consider pricing when comparing top tier products from the big 3 " rp, ams, red line " you know what I mean.

Like for our race car, we get free amsoil dominator from a sponsor that's hard to beat
but If I were having to shell out the cash $130 a case is better than the $180-$190 that Joe Gibbs driven costs. at that level of the game the performance is close.... But the pricing, that's another story.

Oh and Jimmy, does RP have any "Racing oil Filters"? we are happy using the Wix ones , but if there is a better one out there wouldn't mind trying it.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I only consider pricing when comparing top tier products from the big 3 " rp, ams, red line " you know what I mean.

Like for our race car, we get free amsoil dominator from a sponsor that's hard to beat
but If I were having to shell out the cash $130 a case is better than the $180-$190 that Joe Gibbs driven costs. at that level of the game the performance is close.... But the pricing, that's another story.

Oh and Jimmy, does RP have any "Racing oil Filters"? we are happy using the Wix ones , but if there is a better one out there wouldn't mind trying it.

Our Extended Life Synthetic oil filter is suitable for racing, I can't think of any racing filter upgrades that our filter does not have.

I'm pretty sure it's the top filter currently is all the testing that is being done.
Royal Purple State-of-the-art Oil Filter

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I am worried about oil flow, not quality materials or construction.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Mike

You may possibly have a clutch issue!?!?!?! :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread