Transmission fluid you use that IMPROVED shifting over stock

Which transmission fluid have you used in your T56 with better shifting noticeable

• GM SynchroMesh

Votes: 160 30.7%
  • Amsoil ATF

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Votes: 74 14.2%
  • Royal Purple SynchroMax

Votes: 100 19.2%
  • Castrol Syntorq

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 158 30.3%

• Total voters

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I had the exact opposite experience. RP Syncromax didn't help at all. I now have GM Syncromesh, and though still not as smooth as I like the tranny does shift better than it did with the stock fluid and the RP.

My experience.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
has anyone used the stock fluid with a friction modifier added? I am going to change mine this coming week while it is on the lift for the solid axle swap.

redstaf426

Established Member
Has anyone tried B&M synthetic trick shift automatic transmission fluid??It says on the back label it may be used for Manual transmission that requires automatic transmission fluid.I bought 4 quarts,trying it out tomorrow.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
redstaf426 said:
Has anyone tried B&M synthetic trick shift automatic transmission fluid??It says on the back label it may be used for Manual transmission that requires automatic transmission fluid.I bought 4 quarts,trying it out tomorrow.
Cool, let us know please :thumbsup:

jamngamn

NVENM8U
Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
has anyone used the stock fluid with a friction modifier added? I am going to change mine this coming week while it is on the lift for the solid axle swap.
I don't know if it will make any difference by itself. The main thing it does is quiet down the gear noise from the aftermarket shifter installed at fluid change. But it wouldn't hurt.

jamngamn

NVENM8U
Established Member
Wings65288 said:
will it hurt anything by going with the GM syncromesh over RP syncromax?
Not at all. The GM is what is actually the main one said to use. But the RB is full synthetic that people have tried and found to work as good or better. Either is better than the factory.

2003 Silver

Banned
So it's either the GM product or Royal Purple...that's the general opinion and either is better than stock. My 03 Cobra has 3,800 miles on it....is it too soon to switch it out or personal preference??

juiced

Established Member
Well I broke down and made my decision. I went with the Royal Purple. I seeked out a local dealer here in Socal and went ahead and got the engine oil, tranny oil, gear oil. I had them all changed today. As far as I can tell, the tranny oil worked like a champ. The noise is almost all gone, and the notchiness has been reduced a significant amount. It feels alot smoother. The engine seems quietier as well as the rear end. I'll keep an eye out for leaks, as I do drag race most weekends. Now make sure you get the Synchomax tranny fluid. There is another fluid the Max ATF, which you dont want. The tranny and gear oil bottles look the same.I recommend these products to all.lol :coolman:

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
any updates on this thread? GM synchromesh vrs. Royal Purple Synchromax? i'm doin a few maitenance updates to my Cobra this next weekend like getting a new filter for my STEEDA, installing my new bassani catted X, and also while i'm under there i'm going to put new tranny fluid in and i need to order it tomorrow so it will get here on time.

pharmin2006

Established Member
I changed mine yesterday for the first time. I used the GM Synchromesh and man it shifts slick as as snot on a brass door knob! I went ahead and installed the Cobra Bob shifter gasket set also and now there is ZERO roll over noise from the tranny. Both are great products!!!

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Yep...that GM Synchro is awesome...Nitrous Pete had told me to use that back in 2002 on my first 03 Cobra

Users who are viewing this thread