Traveling to Europe (Rome)

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
Me and my girlfriend are planning a trip to Europe at the beginning of June. We are more than likely going to Rome. Anyone thats been, what are some must do's? Are things expensive? We are trying to do this on as much of a budget as possible because it is a very last minute trip. We are not stuck on Rome, or even Europe, but that's where I strongly prefer to go because I am a history buff. Any tips? We are going for 7 days. My girlfriend says thats too long for one city, and wants to visit another city or country while we are there.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Been to Rome a couple times but it's been a while. Great city, the Vatican and the Colosseum are the highlights. I don't know if I'd spend a week there and you don't want to go in August. It's about 3 hours to Pompeii from Rome so you could slide down there and maybe check out the Amalfi Coast. Maybe take a train up to Venice and stay there a couple days.

Blown 89

Established Member
I haven't been to Rome as a tourist so I don't have any vacation ideas but I will say this....bundle. Look up bundling (or bundle packing) on youtube, it will change the way you pack a suitcase.

Last edited:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Andate a' Lecce (go to Lecce). You'll deal with less tourists.

Unfortunately, you picked the worst time to visit. Prepare for hordes of tourists. Colosseum, Pantheon, and the Baths of Caracalla are must sees. Do take a tour of the catacombe also. Your gf is dead wrong though. I've been to Roma six times and am just barely scratching the surface. You don't have time for another country with only 7 days. You lose one flying over so it's only six.

It's more expensive than other cities but not too bad. Stay at a highly rated guest house to save money.

Last edited:

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
I am on the island of Crete working. Historic places here mostly Tavernas (restaurants) beaches every where but getting crowded pretty big time.The island is mostly rocks red dirt olive trees stone houses or concrete. weather is incredible now. A lot of people come to Athens then fly down here on Ryan Air rent a car drive around a bit. Most of these places are historical lot of old stuff and history. And yes compact packing is a must it can get costly flying baggage about.

oldmodman

Established Member
Beware pickpockets and other low level thieves.

Especially two guys on a motor scooter. The guy in the back grabs your girlfriend's purse and they are GONE.

Users who are viewing this thread