Tremec Magnum t56---smoother shifting?

FIREBALL

Established Member
According to some the Tremec transmissions with a single internal rail-shift smoother. The Magnum has a single rail, so my question is, does it shift smoother than the 3650 or t45 or others and how much more? I am tempted to convert if there is much of a difference.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont regret ditching the 3650 for a second. I was never confident banging gears with that one, the higher you spin it the harder it was to shift. I don’t feel that way about the magnum

The guy with the black 6.0 cobra just put an aftermarket shifter on his magnum but hasn’t got any seat time. You can NOT swap shifters with teams in the car

01yellercobra

Established Member
Everyone I've talked to with a Magnum says it shifts really well. Probably due to the better gears and synchros. And anymore I think when you start looking at the price of a built T-56 it's around the cost of a Magnum. When the time comes to switch transmissions I'll be going to the Magnum.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Everyone I've talked to with a Magnum says it shifts really well. Probably due to the better gears and synchros. And anymore I think when you start looking at the price of a built T-56 it's around the cost of a Magnum. When the time comes to switch transmissions I'll be going to the Magnum.
Pretty much.

Magnum is about $3,400. Buying and building a T56 is going to run you $3k.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Pretty much.

Magnum is about $3,400. Buying and building a T56 is going to run you $3k.

And that's if you find a deal on the T-56. I think the upgrade kit I was looking at from Tick was around $3k by itself.

shurur

Established Member
I don't think the T56 magnum is single rail.

The original T56 is ..but I think the T56 magmum is from the T6060..

https://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-dohc/1354274-trans-s-t-5-t-45-3650-a.html
see post #10
SPeace-ATL on corral is the transmission god; unfortunately, he doesn't post on SVTP.

The T45 is single rail and smoother.. But less precise feeling. It can be built for 700 tq.

The 3650 is stronger and multiple rail design.
So more precise feeling..but clunky.

I heard on another recent thread that both of the transmissions parts are getting scarce.

I think the most supported will be the t56 magnum (T6060) over time.
++±++++++++++++++++
The corral thread above spells out the lineage of these transmissions:
Flow chart?

Borg Warner Design:
T-5 -> T-45 -> T-56

Early Tremec Design:
TR3550 -> TKO

Tremec Design after purchasing the T-Series rights from Borg Warner:
TR3650 -> TR6060 -> T-56 Magnum

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think the T56 magnum is single rail.

The original T56 is ..but I think the T56 magmum is from the T6060..

https://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-dohc/1354274-trans-s-t-5-t-45-3650-a.html
see post #10
SPeace-ATL on corral is the transmission god; unfortunately, he doesn't post on SVTP.

The T45 is single rail and smoother.. But less precise feeling. It can be built for 700 tq.

The 3650 is stronger and multiple rail design.
So more precise feeling..but clunky.

I heard on another recent thread that both of the transmissions parts are getting scarce.

I think the most supported will be the t56 magnum (T6060) over time.
++±++++++++++++++++
The corral thread above spells out the lineage of these transmissions:
Flow chart?

Borg Warner Design:
T-5 -> T-45 -> T-56

Early Tremec Design:
TR3550 -> TKO

Tremec Design after purchasing the T-Series rights from Borg Warner:
TR3650 -> TR6060 -> T-56 Magnum
Magnum is a Tr6060 with universal bell housing and 3 shifter locations.

It has nothing to do with the T56, it's called that just for marketing. Hard to undo almost 20 years of hype.

shurur

Established Member
Many articles to read about the magnum but here is a good one comparing it to the tko, and confirms that the magnum has a single rail shift mechanism.
Should I Upgrade to a TREMEC TKO 5-Speed or Magnum 6-Speed? – TREMEC Blog: Get Connected

I don't buy what that article is selling..
The T56 magnum is related to the T6060.
I believe that it is assuming that the the T56 magnum is related to the T56.

Now if the t6060 or TR6060 is single rail, then I'll buy it..

This doesn't necessarily mean the magnum is going to be clunky, because it is not single rail.
what some folks call smooth for the single rails; I consider them to be vague and imprecise shifting.

And If the T56 magnum turns out to be single rail...then know I don't want it in the future.
But to each his own..

Good stuff here either way.

Thanks.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
And that's if you find a deal on the T-56. I think the upgrade kit I was looking at from Tick was around $3k by itself.
Wow! That sounds like too much. I think they were maybe including things that weren't necessary for a Cobra-spec T-56.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Wow! That sounds like too much. I think they were maybe including things that weren't necessary for a Cobra-spec T-56.

It was their top kit for the Cobras. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but it had me looking at the Magnums afterwards.

shurur

Established Member
Many articles to read about the magnum but here is a good one comparing it to the tko, and confirms that the magnum has a single rail shift mechanism.
Should I Upgrade to a TREMEC TKO 5-Speed or Magnum 6-Speed? – TREMEC Blog: Get Connected

yup single rail...my bad.
Thanks Fireball..
Now I have an even better renewed understanding what the T56 magnum is.
This is a great forum

TREMEC Magnum vs. T-56 | RacePages Digital

"Like the T-56, the 6060/Magnum uses a simple yet highly effective single-rail internal shift mechanism. When you push or pull the shift handle in the vehicle, the rail operates these forks—again with the Magnum at left and T-56 at right. A common complaint from those that like to abuse their T-56 was the unit’s propensity to bend aluminum shift forks; making the installation of steel forks a favorite upgrade for many. The problem, however, was not so much with bending the prongs of the forks, but rather an issue found at the shift rail bore. A keyway cut into the bore for placement of the shift plates, or ‘z-links’, had a tendency to wallow out and allow the fork to deflect on the rail, opening the door to a host of secondary shift-related issues. In the 6060/Magnum, these links are cast into the fork, eliminating the concern and negating the need for ‘heavier duty’ materials."

mighty mouse

Established Member
I dont regret ditching the 3650 for a second. I was never confident banging gears with that one, the higher you spin it the harder it was to shift. I don’t feel that way about the magnum

The guy with the black 6.0 cobra just put an aftermarket shifter on his magnum but hasn’t got any seat time. You can NOT swap shifters with teams in the car
Who makes an aftermarket shifter?

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
My TR6060 and Magnum XL both shift great at 7000rpm but I’d give the nod to the XL and integrated direct mount shifter.
Not sure what else you can buy to handle boosted V8 torque and shift this well.
-J

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
you would still need to do something about the reverse lockout solenoid - Ive read numerous times it's not good to just push through it. I wired it up to my brake light switch at first but say you're in 6th and tap the brakes to slow down, if you also go to downshift into 5th it's not a huge stretch to accidentally end up in R. One brain fart is all it takes, or someone else driving the car that's not so great with a manual.

I bought a reverse lockout controller that behaves like a factory 03/04 cobra - you have to have your foot on the brake AND be going under 5mph (might not be the exact right speed).

01yellercobra

Established Member
you would still need to do something about the reverse lockout solenoid - Ive read numerous times it's not good to just push through it. I wired it up to my brake light switch at first but say you're in 6th and tap the brakes to slow down, if you also go to downshift into 5th it's not a huge stretch to accidentally end up in R. One brain fart is all it takes, or someone else driving the car that's not so great with a manual.

I bought a reverse lockout controller that behaves like a factory 03/04 cobra - you have to have your foot on the brake AND be going under 5mph (might not be the exact right speed).

That's how I had mine set up in my 01. Actually, for some reason the solenoid ended up sticking open. Never pulled it apart to figure out why. I never ended up in R while driving down the freeway. I think my buddy grinded it once because I forgot to tell him when he borrowed my car. Beyond that it was never an issue for me.

ZEN357

Established Member
I had a 3650 in my 01 Bullitt and it was smooth, but then I bought my 2016 Challenger and the T-56 was way smoother than the 3650.

Users who are viewing this thread