Trinity article about motors blowing up

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
ML put a new video up. Nothing catastrophic. Intercooler bolts. I think he is going turbo now.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Yea, seen the video earlier. Good for him (ML)! Glad to see and hear its nothing catastrophic. As others have noted looks like he is going turbo's, his supercharger and cams have allready been sold and he is parting out with a few other parts.

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
ML put a new video up. Nothing catastrophic. Intercooler bolts. I think he is going turbo now.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I just saw it,i wonder why he is going turbo?Well maybe just to change it up.I remember a while back someone put turbos on a 13-14 GT500,and he lost every roll race he was in.So,who knows.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
Twin turbos, setup correctly, will be wildly fast! And the anti-lag and TC in the MOTEC will be perfect. Hard to beat properly setup turbo system on a long geared GT500. Plus he can make 1500+whp on a stock crank and generally have a safer engine combination. These big blowers are hard on components

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Twin turbos, setup correctly, will be wildly fast! And the anti-lag and TC in the MOTEC will be perfect. Hard to beat properly setup turbo system on a long geared GT500. Plus he can make 1500+whp on a stock crank and generally have a safer engine combination. These big blowers are hard on components
Your right on spot about that comment @Turbo98GT !! Watch this video @Cobra Therapy starting at 8:20. Twin turbo set-up is no joke!!!

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
Your right on spot about that comment @Turbo98GT !! Watch this video @Cobra Therapy starting at 8:20. Twin turbo set-up is no joke!!!

Yes i have seen that green car do its thing.It has like 2000hp and is a 6 speed.I do not down twin turbos ,he wants to have the best of bothe worlds and like some have said,maybe he should have a race car,and another car be his street car.The worlds fastest street car in the 1 mile run is a twin turbo FORD GT!!!You know the one with the proper motor in it,05-06.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
With the widebody SS Im thinking set of RTS S77 welds for my fun time set of rims, 15x11 REAR & 20x9 Front. W/Mickey ET Street R P325/50/R15 Rear & 275/35R/20 Street Comp for the front. Checking to see if those rear 15x11 will clear my rear brakes. After my upgrades this fall I should see 840-870 RWHP. Most of the upgrades will be in suspension/subframe, tunnel brace support and complete drive train upgrade from front to rear. Motor just getting Cams and LTH's and a custom tune for now. Im almost ready to pull the trigger on the Motec 150 ECU install at the same time. The car should be pretty much all set for a major motor upgrade/ lighter K Member when and if I choose to do so. Atleast I'll have some comfort knowing I have everything upgraded to support a built motor and beable to launch as hard as I desire without having to worry about breaking something in the drivetrain or twerking the frame.
I doubt you’ll be able to do the 15” but if you have the same Wildwood’s brakes like I do it’ll clear 15”.
I have some 17x10 and 17x11 and 18x10.5s in addition to the 15x10.5 Welds. You’re more than welcome to test fit them and even test them out before you commit. I’m assuming 3.73 gears? If so you’ll be happier with a 28” like the 325/50/15 or 305/45/17 or 315/40/18. If you’re SAI upgrade is the 9” I’d personally recommend the 4.11/4.00/3.89 range and forget the 15” and go with the taller 30” 315/50/17 ET Street R.
It is by far the best setup for big power (or tall 315/60/15). Taller sidewall greatly improves traction.
20” front 15” rear tends to look funky.
I run an 18” front and either 15” rear (bias ply 28x-2’u?,strip only) and 17” rear (315/50/17).
I’m sure we’ll get together in spring
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yessir twin 72s and 11:1 5.8 on good fuel and some 3.27s and a sequential aftermarket gear set Tremec sounds about right. I’ll keep my 315/50/17s too :)
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I doubt you’ll be able to do the 15” but if you have the same Wildwood’s brakes like I do it’ll clear 15”.
I have some 17x10 and 17x11 and 18x10.5s in addition to the 15x10.5 Welds. You’re more than welcome to test fit them and even test them out before you commit. I’m assuming 3.73 gears? If so you’ll be happier with a 28” like the 325/50/15 or 305/45/17 or 315/40/18. If you’re SAI upgrade is the 9” I’d personally recommend the 4.11/4.00/3.89 range and forget the 15” and go with the taller 30” 315/50/17 ET Street R.
It is by far the best setup for big power (or tall 315/60/15). Taller sidewall greatly improves traction.
20” front 15” rear tends to look funky.
I run an 18” front and either 15” rear (bias ply 28x-2’u?,strip only) and 17” rear (315/50/17).
I’m sure we’ll get together in spring
-J
Yea i have the 4 piston big Brake wilwood's J. 15x11"s with 325/50/15 ET Street R'S I think would fit perfect with that widebody kit and fill the wheel well. I believe my SS rim and tire O.D is 28.1 so it be perfect fit IMO as long as it clears the brake. 18's upfront are a good choice as well it would work. Im staying with 3.73 and the 8.8. Gonna weld the tubes and upgrade to Torsen posi traction diff, 33" spline moser shafts and 3 inch race wheel studs. I want to keep this as a street car J but when I track it I want it to be safe and capable of launching down the track properly. Im pretty mind set on the RTS S77 3 piece forged W/ black facing if thats what you have. Let me know. SAI is super busy right now so hopefully they get me in this winter to do all the upgrades. If they bend me over im going to watson racing to have everything done. The only thing im concerned about is how well the fiber glass over lay body panels are gonna hold up before stress cracks come up. IDK but we shall see how well it was installed. It's really the only real draw back and concern cause it would cost big $$$ to fix. It shoulnt be an issue...... but you know how that works in the realm of just having alittle fun racing.

20171022_162949_resized.jpg

s77.jpg

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
You're going to be picking up pieces of 8.8. Bite the bullet and go 9".

Tom
Yea @tomshep its crossed my mind that a 8.8 wont last long and a 9 inch will be a more sensible approach from a longer term investment . I was pricing a currie 9" and the cost is not much more than trying to build a 8.8. A new thread for 9" rearends and recommendations is coming. Thanks!

Full Build Options (6-week lead time)

Select Axle Spline * 35-Spline Axles Select Gear Case * HD-Pro Aluminum Case [+$414.00] Select Gear Ratio * 3.70 Gears Polished [+$150.00] or 3.89 Gears Polished [+$150.00]
Select Differential * Eaton Truetrac [+$650.00]
Select Pinion Yoke * 1350 Chromoly Yoke (CE-4044BK) [+$30.00] Select Wheel Stud Size * 1/2 x 3 in. Press in studs [+$20.00] Powder Coat * Satin Black Powder Coat (CE-0091H1) [+$200.00]
$5,720.00

Even as it sits now my current 8.8 sure does look inadequate with those 20" 345's

2013-ford-shelby-mustang-gt500-super-snake-underside carriage-2.jpg

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a Strange 9” based on the Cobra Jet 9” Ford developed with Strange for the S197.
Currie makes good stuff but Strange gets my money.
-J

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
As far as best street able drag radials go, I found 800-850rwhp will be the most ‘fun’ on the street. North of that you really only want ET Street Rs and Hoosier DR2s. At around 1100rwhp I’ll lay stripes thru 100mph+ but it’s controlled on tall 315/50/17 MTs with 4.00 gears in the 9”. Starting in 3rd around 60mph it’ll actually hook and it’s a damn rocket til the top of 4th close to 160mph
Again, more isn’t always better and with the torque we have I’d target 800-850rwhp and some 315/40/18 or 315/35/20 DRs
-J

I agree with this. >1000 really is not that much fun in a shelby. You are way past the limits of brakes and chassis at this point. You can't really do half mile runs on the on ramp so straight line capability is a waste. Balance beats power and ~800 whp is perfect IMO.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a Strange 9” based on the Cobra Jet 9” Ford developed with Strange for the S197.
Currie makes good stuff but Strange gets my money.
-J
Can't go wrong with a strange 9" that's for sure J. Gonna do some more in depth research and gonna go with the strongest, lightest 9" that makes the most sense. The less unsprung weight the better for my setup. My reasoning behind Currie is that's what SAI used in the shelby 2013-14 1000 build. SAI had a 1000hp package which is 1100rwhp to the rear tires. My goal is to duplicate the package w/ the help of a Motec 150 ECU to adjust power levels as needed for a balanced mostly street/ occasionally trip to the track car. Yes...its expensive as hell !! We all work and play for some reason in life!! There are some things that you just cant put a price tag on....if it makes you happy.....life is short my friends...live your life!

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with this. >1000 really is not that much fun in a shelby. You are way past the limits of brakes and chassis at this point. You can't really do half mile runs on the on ramp so straight line capability is a waste. Balance beats power and ~800 whp is perfect IMO.
Agreed although I live just on the outside of town and all I need to do Irma head west and I have corn fields and straight roads in every direction. The roads thankfully are really good for high speed runs. I rarely go over 150 but when datalogging for the track I occasionally have to top out 4th gear at 7200rpm :)
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Can't go wrong with a strange 9" that's for sure J. Gonna do some more in depth research and gonna go with the strongest, lightest 9" that makes the most sense. The less unsprung weight the better for my setup. My reasoning behind Currie is that's what SAI used in the shelby 2013-14 1000 build. SAI had a 1000hp package which is 1100rwhp to the rear tires. My goal is to duplicate the package w/ the help of a Motec 150 ECU to adjust power levels as needed for a balanced mostly street/ occasionally trip to the track car. Yes...its expensive as hell !! We all work and play for some reason in life!! There are some things that you just cant put a price tag on....if it makes you happy.....life is short my friends...live you life!
I didn’t know that about the S1000. I still have a pic my wife took on our first trip Vegas sitting in a Kona blue S1000. At that point she was pregnant with our son and my ‘14 was on order (he and my ‘14 were both born same week) but she wouldn’t let me do a deposit on the S1000 conversion. Women :)

In your case Vinnie I’d definitely keep
It to SAI specs. Talk to you soon on the ‘22!
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I didn’t know that about the S1000. I still have a pic my wife took on our first trip Vegas sitting in a Kona blue S1000. At that point she was pregnant with our son and my ‘14 was on order (he and my ‘14 were both born same week) but she wouldn’t let me do a deposit on the S1000 conversion. Women :)

In your case Vinnie I’d definitely keep
It to SAI specs. Talk to you soon on the ‘22!
-J
That's the plan to keep it to SAI Specs of the S1000.....except for the motec ecu which is 10x better. I'm already knee deep....my as well go all the way!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
That's the plan to keep it to SAI Specs of the S1000.....except for the motec ecu which is 10x better. I'm already knee deep....my as well go all the way!
I approve of this plan. If I’m your shoes I’d do the same and the Motec will protect the investment and can easily be hidden/unnoticeable.
I’m about to schedule the Holley EFI conversion on my ‘14 and I feel like we should talk.
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I approve of this plan. If I’m your shoes I’d do the same and the Motec will protect the investment and can easily be hidden/unnoticeable.
I’m about to schedule the Holley EFI conversion on my ‘14 and I feel like we should talk.
-J
Yea for sure it's the right thing to do J, with less than 200 of these SS produced for 2013 I would be doing a disservice to the car and not keeping it to it's TRUE making. The 1000 hp pkg was a option to SS owners who wanted to upgrade to shelby 1000 performance level. The Motec 150 ECU will harness the hp to any desire at anytime and keep the car more manageable and still fun to drive but yet unleash it's full potential at the press of a button. Pretty bada$$ IMO!! I'm sure shelby would of went this route if they could of got the right price point and squeezed into 250k S1000 build...lmao. Although they are going this route (Motec 150) with a new twin turbo build that has yet been disclosed to the public.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread