True Ram-air

IMXCITD

Established Member
Who sells a true ram-air that is enclosed and feeds in from the bottom of the truck? I want this type system for now as I don't plan on changing the hood anytime soon.
thanks for your help!

Bill

ViciousJay

Established Member
how much of a gain is there really cuz id rather make a homemade version for half the cost

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
Achilles said:
how much of a gain is there really cuz id rather make a homemade version for half the cost
I just bought the box from JLP and im going to make my own "ram air" kit this summer

smilinjack

Established Member
By definition, "ram air" is a closed system that "builds" pressure in the intake air duct(s) by scooping air while the vehicle is in motion. With our L's this is generally around 45 mph. There are some technicalities involved with this particular system. First, in order to supply enough air just to feed the motor as is, the inlet or pressure pick up tube must be AT LEAST as large (preferably larger) as the smallest air inlet to the S/C. It should NOT be a rippled tube, it should be smooth. The scoop(s) should be 1.5 to 2times larger than the inlet tube to create static pressure in the tube. There cannot be an escape for this pressure at any point other than the engine intake (S/C). These calculations can be made by figuring the area in sq. inches of each component (area= 3.14x radius squared) for circles and (length x width) for rectangles. I usually use the inside diameter of the mass air meter to figure the smallest diameter in this system. I have never seen a TRUE ram air on a Lightning (Gen 2) except when I look under my hood. Cold air is NOT ram air. Unless you employ these functions you ain't got RAM! Hope this helps. It's not meant to slam anybody.... Later

Last edited:

TXSVT1

Established Member
yeah but it so expensive!!! since I already have their cai setup all I needed is the scoop and the pipes and guess what the price was???? it was 110 for some pipes and a scoop........seems like alot for so little.

Users who are viewing this thread