TRUETRAC vs POSI vs WAVETRAC

slowbra1

Established Member
OK GT500 guys which Differential would you use in your Shelby if you were going to upgrade or rebuild your 8.8 rear end ???

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
Love my trutrac no noise. Spins 2 every time. I assume by posi you mean the factory traction lock. The factory traction lock is not a bad diff depending on your intentions but to be honest the trutrac is pretty affordable. The wavetrac I've read is a great diff unless you have c-clips and is much more expensive than the trutrac. Someone with experience should chime in on the wavetrac. I believe bj from vmp had some bad experience.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I have C-Clips and a Wavetrac in my 03 cobra. I have no complaints. It is strong, quiet, spins two, maintenance free, and a lifetime warranty (even in racing applications). Expensive little booger though.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Been there, done that...done that....done that. Tru-Trac. Feel free to email me and ask me why. I don't want to hammer on a product publicly, but that should give you the info you need. I broke 2 (yes, TWO) of something other than Tru-Trac.

bj@vmptuning.

slowbra1

Established Member
Been there, done that...done that....done that. Tru-Trac. Feel free to email me and ask me why. I don't want to hammer on a product publicly, but that should give you the info you need. I broke 2 (yes, TWO) of something other than Tru-Trac.

bj@vmptuning.

I remember your un-named not a Truetrac not a Ford stock Posi diff almost killed you and your car by rear steering.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a locker on one of my Broncos. It had some pretty scary driving characteristics with large tires and a short wheelbase. If you let off the gas in a big sweeping turn it was like it wanted to change directions on you. My wife refused to drive it.

I just got through installing a TrueTrac this weekend. I haven't driven the car much yet since I just got it back on the road and needed to get it aligned, but I don't have any weird noises or other issues. Seems to drive the same as the Ford unit.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Truetrac here for 3 years/10k miles. Quiet and works flawlessly. With stiffer upper and lower control arms, the car usually tracks really straight off the line. It really gives you confidence to stay in it if the rear does moves a little.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Has anyone used a locker? I know noisy but other than that any opinions?

It's like asking if anyone's tried a carburetor on their GT500. 20 years ago, sure, a locker was to go to. Not these days. The Truetrac just does it all better. It's quiet, strong, perfectly driveable, and relatively inexpensive. It's a win-win.

Of the three gear diffs listed, the Truetrac is my top pick. It's very proven. Second would be the Torsen, but only the Boss/GT500 Torsen. And a distant last would be the Wavetrac. I would run that one if it was given to me for free (from personal experience).

Last edited:

heatsoaked12

Established Member
It's like asking if anyone's tried a carburetor on their GT500. 20 years ago, sure, a locker was to go to. Not these days. The Truetrac just does it all better. It's quiet, strong, perfectly driveable, and relatively inexpensive. It's a win-win.

Of the three gear diffs listed, the Truetrac is my top pick. It's very proven. Second would be the Torsen, but only the Boss/GT500 Torsen. And a distant last would be the Wavetrac. I would run that one if it was given to me for free (from personal experience).

I just put the Boss torsen in my 12. It looks like the true trac but more than double the price! Should i have just gone with the true trac?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I just put the Boss torsen in my 12. It looks like the true trac but more than double the price! Should i have just gone with the true trac?

For the money, yeah. But for functionality, they're about equal IMO.

anybody broken a 13 GT500 Torsen?

I haven't seen one break yet, but I also haven't seen any 9 second cars running one yet, like I have seen with the Truetrac. I think only time will tell if the GT500/Boss Torsen will take the abuse the Truetrac has.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
For the money, yeah. But for functionality, they're about equal IMO.

I haven't seen one break yet, but I also haven't seen any 9 second cars running one yet, like I have seen with the Truetrac. I think only time will tell if the GT500/Boss Torsen will take the abuse the Truetrac has.

I would like to see what the difference is between the two. In all the pictures they look pretty much identical. My torsen is very quiet and smooth and would hate to break it. Im thinking I should work on eliminating my wheel hop problem.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I remember your un-named not a Truetrac not a Ford stock Posi diff almost killed you and your car by rear steering.
Yeah, nothing quite like one side letting go at 100+ mph during a shift and pointing you toward the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread