Trying to end BOV debate

SilverSteed

Established Member
There's so much discussion on whether a turbo BOV can be used on a blower car. Everyone has an opinion and always tries to sound like an expert but since dis izz da interwebz I figured I would do my own research. Here is what I have found.

The basic issue that people take with putting a turbo BOV on a blower car is that the valve will not vent at idle.

Who's building boost at idle? The real issue is how many pounds of vacuum it takes to open the valve. I will use the greddy type S and Vortech Maxflow for this comparison.

Greddy starts to open at 17 in and is fully open at about 25.

Vortech comes set to open at 3 inches but can be adjusted up to 6.

These are facts not opinions. Now how much vacuum does a 2V GT with a Vortech run?

SilverSteed

Established Member
On the left are engine vacuum measurements at idle (warm), on the right-spring recommendations.This as per Tial and is sourced from their site

Between:
- 22 and -23 in/Hg -12 Psi (-24 in/Hg )
- 20 and -21 in/Hg Pink -11 Psi (-22 in/Hg )
- 16 and -19 in/Hg Un-painted -10 Psi (-20 in/Hg )
- 12 and -15 in/Hg White -8 Psi (-16 in/Hg )
- 8 and -11 in/Hg Black -6 Psi (-12 in/Hg )

Given all the numbers I've posted I believe the type S should do just fine. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong.

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
i didnt think there was a debate about this, there is a thread already on the front page of this section that talks about the differences. :dw:

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
Lets just use this to end it...

My car runs at 14inches of vacuum at idle (heads/cams 2V)

When I first finished my motor build I used a Tial Q turbo spring bov (one of the best at evacuating boost quickly). I believe a 10inch spring was used which is still pretty soft for a turbo spring. Whenever I would let out of high boost (17psi) I would get a bit of surging, during daily driving I noticed a bit higher IAT temps just cruising around, and I could here the valve flutter between shifts in town.

Now we move to the current bov. I switched to a Tial Alpha Q with the "3psi" supercharger spring. This valve now vents much more air at idle and when letting out the same 17lbs of boost there was ZERO surging whatsoever. Cruising around the street the IAT's are back to near ambient temps and when shifting through the gears during regular driving there is ZERO flutter.

Some people continue to use the turbo spring bov's since they do still evacuate air but I strongly believe with the supercharger to get the most efficient setup you should run at least a spring that is meant for a supercharger. I always chime in on these threads and may post like I am trying to know it all but I simply go off of my experience with the two. Also, some people seem to remain hard headed no matter how much information you beat into their heads because they HAVE to have a turbo bov that is really loud. People need to realize, you couldn't afford the turbo so stop trying to make your car sound identical to one with a turbo bov and stiff spring.

On another note regarding the Greddy valve, I almost ran a Type R and I am not sure how different the springs are between that and the Type S. My tuner has setup a few cars with superchargers and has found that even the softest spring in those can be too stiff, many times he has been forced to pull the spring and cut them to work without surging issues. The Tal Alpha Q is made to be recirculated and now they offer an adapter that goes onto the alpha Q which turns it into a recirculating valve as well.

Last edited:

SilverSteed

Established Member
i didnt think there was a debate about this, there is a thread already on the front page of this section that talks about the differences. :dw:

Thanks for chiming in. You are an asset to this thread and the mustang community as a whole. Please feel free to keep contributing to any future discussions as your input is invaluable. Good picture of you there.

As for BADD281 - I see your point and understand how the IATs would go up due to the blower working harder. I already own a Type S but will probably move to a Maxflow. I don't want to misrepresent my car or damage my blower for a certain sound

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
I know my Turbo XS RFL on my vortech works great.... It opens easy, evacuates the air and opens normally Im deff happy.

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
Thanks for chiming in. You are an asset to this thread and the mustang community as a whole. Please feel free to keep contributing to any future discussions as your input is invaluable. Good picture of you there.

He has helped quite a lot with bov versus bpv discussions and all of the sort. A lot of people on this site would just tell you to do a search since this topic has come up and been fully discussed several times before. I suggest you respect the fact that he pointed you in a direction rather than just being a douchebag and saying smartass comments like you just did. Research goes a long way and every point I made exists in probably 5 other different discussions about this already....might wanna go through those before shitting on the guy for pointing out something that you were too blind to see.

Last edited:

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member

:nono: What crawled up your ass broski? You come in here asking a question, and if you took the time to scroll down the forum you would have seen there is this same thread already with all your answers.

I don't know if you are just dumb, a wanna be internet tough guy or what, but you can take your non-sense elsewhere. I've answered more questions here than 90% of people and maybe you could learn a few things if you learned how to use google and shut your mouth before you say anything else stupid.

Hey Mike, you finish up that t-56 swap yet?

SilverSteed

Established Member
:nono: What crawled up your ass broski? You come in here asking a question, and if you took the time to scroll down the forum you would have seen there is this same thread already with all your answers.

I don't know if you are just dumb, a wanna be internet tough guy or what, but you can take your non-sense elsewhere. I've answered more questions here than 90% of people and maybe you could learn a few things if you learned how to use google and shut your mouth before you say anything else stupid.

Hey Mike, you finish up that t-56 swap yet?

Thanks champ.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Ran a Tial Q BOV on my cobra making 16psi on a T trim. I bought it and used their 'vacuum chart' to figure out what spring I needed. Wrong. Emailed the dude at Tial and told him my setup and said it didn't sound like it was working correctly. He said they had a certain spring for supercharged applications. He mailed me the new spring, I shipped him back the old one, free of charge.

Thing worked great and got a LOT of attention haha. It is not quiet at all running that much boost. Even at idle it would push out a lot of air, but if you were crusing at high rpm, like 3-4k and not in boost, it was deafening for anyone driving around you. Superchargers push a ton of air all the time, not just when under load like a turbo. All that air has to go somewhere.

Go look at any high end turbo setup (Underground Racing, Heffner Performance, Hennessey, etc.) and they are all using the Tial Q (usually 2 of them).

Underground_Racing-Lamborghini_Lp640_Tw_mp952_pic_69625.jpg

gallardo4.jpg

Last edited:

02blownGT

Established Member
Greddys have two springs inside you have to use the smaller one or it will surge all to hell.As stated in previous threads on the topic this is just my experience.Im running 8.5/1 comp and have some head work done so im only at about 15hg at idle.Even with the lightest spring in the greddy it still surged a little had a type R for about three days and chucked it for a big red.I was only running 10psi at the time and wouldnt even consider a small bov at anything more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread