TS/TVS Blower 600+ RWHP Cobras with 3.27 gears

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
1. Who has a Twin Screw or TVS Blower Cobra setup with 600+ RWHP and 3.27 gears?
2. How do you like the gears compared to stock 3.55s at your power level?
3. Any regrets?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
a 600+rwhp Cobra IMO needs nothing less than 3.73's.. and this is after driving my buddies 630rwhp 2.9L Cobra

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
a 600+rwhp Cobra IMO needs nothing less than 3.73's.. and this is after driving my buddies 630rwhp 2.9L Cobra

I am currently at 720/680.
The 3.55s seem to be a good all around gear.
Would like to get my car deep in the 9s and gears may help get me there.
The gear swap will only happen if I break stuff.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member

You must be talking about for the track? If not. let me know who you know with a 600+ RWHP Supercharged Cobra that's getting traction on the street in 1st and 2nd gear. 3.27s will help with that.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I am currently at 720/680.
The 3.55s seem to be a good all around gear.
Would like to get my car deep in the 9s and gears may help get me there.
The gear swap will only happen if I break stuff.

You car also makes 720rwhp.. I was mainly talking about a 600rwhp Cobra..

You must be talking about for the track? If not. let me know who you know with a 600+ RWHP Supercharged Cobra that's getting traction on the street in 1st and 2nd gear. 3.27s will help with that.

Track/Street whatever.. And it's called Hoosier DR's... I'm talking about cars in the 600ish rwhp range.. Again this is just my opinion.. And this is after driving my Buddies 630rwhp 2.9L Cobra.. That dead hooks in 2nd with R888's

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
Track/Street whatever.. And it's called Hoosier DR's... I'm talking about cars in the 600ish rwhp range.. Again this is just my opinion.. And this is after driving my Buddies 630rwhp 2.9L Cobra.. That dead hooks in 2nd with R888's

I have Hoosier DRs and I dead hook in 2nd as well, but 1st.....I've gotta practice more to figure out where the sweet spot is. I still have 3.55s too and IRS, so mabye with SRA it'll plant the power better and hook better:shrug:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I have Hoosier DRs and I dead hook in 2nd as well, but 1st.....I've gotta practice more to figure out where the sweet spot is. I still have 3.55s too and IRS, so mabye with SRA it'll plant the power better and hook better:shrug:

I can't speak for that, but I know Hoosier Drag radials that hook 700rwhp at the track.. But on the street I can't speak on :)

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Drawing a blank on his username but there's a silver KB mammoth car on here with 3.27's and IIRC, he loves them

SVT_Troy

Established Member
3.27's isnt going to do anything for you with that much power unless you can hook. And hooking enough to take advantage of 3.27's will require a fully built solid rear axle and sticky slicks, not drag radials or street tires.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
3.27's isnt going to do anything for you with that much power unless you can hook. And hooking enough to take advantage of 3.27's will require a fully built solid rear axle and sticky slicks, not drag radials or street tires.

3.27s will make it easier to hook! 4.10s will need all you described. The lower the gear number the less TQ you'll be putting out on the hit which means better traction. You'll also stay in each gear longer which means less shifting too.

Matter of fact, if you don't have enough power your car will bog with the lower gears unless you give it more gas on take off. All these are details that were relayed to me by folks with experience. I've never switched my stock gears out.

Jroc

Established Member
It will be somewhat of a nicer/more comfortable highway cruiser with 3.27's, and you will likely get a little better mileage. It will probably also be a nice highway pulling car with a 3.27 rear gear. I always contemplated doing it on my Terminator but never did. I think it can be a smart mod unless you are trying to maximize an ET. If an ET is priority I would say 4.10's and slicks would be the best way to go.

Even with a M112 Terminators are too much of a spin-fest with street tires so doing things to improve their traction is a good thing IMO.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
3.27s will make it easier to hook! 4.10s will need all you described. The lower the gear number the less TQ you'll be putting out on the hit which means better traction. You'll also stay in each gear longer which means less shifting too.

Matter of fact, if you don't have enough power your car will bog with the lower gears unless you give it more gas on take off. All these are details that were relayed to me by folks with experience. I've never switched my stock gears out.

haha your right and im an idiot for having it backwards!

Users who are viewing this thread