Tune (what exactly does it do?)

CobraG

Established Member
Wow! This blew up! Thanks for the replies and assistance. Like I mentioned, I bought the car already modified so it was already tuned. Should I get a tune, sure sounds like it!
To answer some ?'s that were asked:
I have no idea what spark plugs are in the car currently.
I do not know how to datalog, but I'm guessing there are instructions/videos. As far as I know the car is still on the 1st owners tune.
I had a tune through Lund on my previous car (2013 5.0), my handheld is an nGauge, since I still have the nGauge and I like Lund I thought I'd use Lund again.

I'm always trying to learn and make sure I do things the right way. I tackle what's next, right now it's a tune. I'm a car enthusiast but not mechanically inclined so I come here and ask those who are mechanically inclined.

Thanks again for the replies. I sent Lund an email asking what all I need to know (spark plugs, spark plug gap, etc.) before I finalize the order for the tune. Once I know what the requirements are and I verify them then I'll proceed with ordering a tune.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow! This blew up! Thanks for the replies and assistance.

The car owners and hobbyists on this site are always quick to help and look out for someone walking into, what could be, a life and financially altering situation.

I am mechanically inclined and still have a shop or tuner do some stuff.
Tuning is not my thing. I drive 3 hours one way to get my cars tuned.
It's worth it because the guy and the shop know their stuff. (ProDyno, S. Carolina)

Your in Oklahoma. All you need to do is find a decent shop in Oklahoma or Texas that has a dyno and is willing to do a few things for you, spark plugs, compression check etc.

I personally would give BJ a call at Venomous Tuning.

He can find you a shop and he can remotely tune the car while the staff do all the dyno stuff and tune the car with BJ.

Finally, people are always willing to help here, but ultimately its up to the individual as to what course of action they decide to take.

Last edited:

CobraG

Established Member
Got my tune from Lund today. I haven't loaded it yet, I'm studying for a test next week.
Anyway, below is what he said when I asked if I should data log. So if all is good, I'll keep the car as is for a little while before my next mod.

"There is no need to datalog. The JLT is set maf fueling data and the throttle data + our cam timing, timing, fueling etc is all set . You can log if you have a issue but it shouldnt need to be logged unless you have a concern"
"I altered the speedo to be correct for your tires too so you should be good !"

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If you can datalog I would recommend it but they are correct in that with a vetted tune and the dual wideband O2s it should be fine.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread