Tuning with Meth

J's98Snake

Established Member
So, I've been in the game for about 10 yrs with the same car and have been to a couple of different tuners as my set-up changed.

I moved and now have a new tuner. When he was tuning my motor, he tuned it with pump gas all the way out. My a/f is a safe 11.5ish, when we started spraying the meth m,y a/f dropped to 10.3ish. He left it there?? Should we have pulled some fuel to get back to 11.5ish?

He said he left the a/f where it was incase my meth ever quit working, I understand that safety measure.

That being said, I almost positive all of my previous tuners tuned it to 11.5ish with the meth.

Thoughts?

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
you can set the car to pull timing if the IAT's ever rise above a certain number...he sounds uncomfertable tuning with meth

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Yes he should have pulled some fuel but leaving it where it is won't hurt. You'll still get the benefits of lower iats and the resistance to detonation but he could have made more power.

MichaelPlummer

Established Member
One of the biggest issue with tuning a water/methanol setup is finding a tuner who actually knows how to do it or who is willing to work with someone that knows how to do it.

Depending on your ratio of water to methanol your A/F drop should be 1/2 to 1 full point drop.
50/50 mix: tune for 1/2 drop in A/F ratio.
75/25 methanol to water: tune for 1 point drop in A/F ratio.

* You NEED to tune without water/methanol first.
* Set your timing to something that is very CONSERVATIVE.
* An A/F ratio between 11.75 to 12.5:1 is ideal......THIS IS IMPORTANT. This is where your true A/F ratio is at.

Activate Water/Methanol mix.
* If your drop in A/F ratio is greater than what's listed above than you must either decrease pump pressure or use a smaller nozzle.
* Once desired drop in A/F ratio is achieved then you can start adding more timing, boost or both.

Once HP increases stops just set total timing to the timing that gave you the most HP. Or you could back it down a degree or two for added safety.

Safe Injection (Failsafe):The ultimate safeguard for your engine. Safe Injection is a watchdog that always monitors the system output flow. Designed as an add on to the Boost Cooler water/methanol injection system, Safe Injection provides for a safe tune in those instances where no injection is present and an aggressive tune is utilized. This system can reduce boost and/or timing anytime injection quantity goes below the set point regardless of the reason (ran out of fluid, clogged line, etc.). It does this with the upgrades listed below. This sets your vehicle into a "safe mode" making your tune instantly conservative for the ultimate in safe water/methanol injection.

stangbanger856

Established Member
One of the biggest issue with tuning a water/methanol setup is finding a tuner who actually knows how to do it or who is willing to work with someone that knows how to do it.

Depending on your ratio of water to methanol your A/F drop should be 1/2 to 1 full point drop.
50/50 mix: tune for 1/2 drop in A/F ratio.
75/25 methanol to water: tune for 1 point drop in A/F ratio.

* You NEED to tune without water/methanol first.
* Set your timing to something that is very CONSERVATIVE.
* An A/F ratio between 11.75 to 12.5:1 is ideal......THIS IS IMPORTANT. This is where your true A/F ratio is at.

Activate Water/Methanol mix.
* If your drop in A/F ratio is greater than what's listed above than you must either decrease pump pressure or use a smaller nozzle.
* Once desired drop in A/F ratio is achieved then you can start adding more timing, boost or both.

Once HP increases stops just set total timing to the timing that gave you the most HP. Or you could back it down a degree or two for added safety.

Safe Injection (Failsafe):The ultimate safeguard for your engine. Safe Injection is a watchdog that always monitors the system output flow. Designed as an add on to the Boost Cooler water/methanol injection system, Safe Injection provides for a safe tune in those instances where no injection is present and an aggressive tune is utilized. This system can reduce boost and/or timing anytime injection quantity goes below the set point regardless of the reason (ran out of fluid, clogged line, etc.). It does this with the upgrades listed below. This sets your vehicle into a "safe mode" making your tune instantly conservative for the ultimate in safe water/methanol injection.

Good info. Michael is the go to guy with Water/Meth questions.

J's98Snake

Established Member
Thanks Michael and everyone else for their input! The tuner did tell me prior to tuning that he did not like meth but that was just him.

Anyway, my mix is the Boost Juice Summit sells, 51% H2o, 49% meth.

stangbanger856

Established Member
After looking at your before and after A/F. I think you might be spraying to much water/meth as well.

With a starting A/F ratio of 11.5 and boost juice with a proper nozzle your A/F should be 11.00 with the meth on. If its going to 10.30 then that's WAY to much meth. Change to a smaller nozzle. Or turn the pressure down on the pump.

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
Yeah I would have to agree, dropping 1.2 points on boost juice is terrible. Might as well just run a garden hose from the tank to the inlet. That is waaaay too much meth being sprayed into the motor.

J's98Snake

Established Member
Thanks guys! I'm running the Snow Perf kit, I had the pump set to go 100% at 7psi. Maybe I'll turn the 100% start point to 20psi which I don't see and see what 50% pump does.

Thanks again!

J's98Snake

Established Member
How much of an octane increase do ya'll think I'm seeing. All we have in Vegas is shit ass 91 octane. Just want to make sure I'm safe.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Thanks guys! I'm running the Snow Perf kit, I had the pump set to go 100% at 7psi. Maybe I'll turn the 100% start point to 20psi which I don't see and see what 50% pump does.

Thanks again!

Before you mess with the settings Go down 1 size on the nozzle. Set your start point at 4 psi and maxx at you max psi.

Users who are viewing this thread