tvs numbers not happy

Rodeheavers

Established Member
That's fine bro. I gave you the option when we were on the dyno to turn the timing up but after seeing the car loose power at 16 degrees I knew something was up ie: bad gas or something to that affect.

ttk53

Established Member
bottom line I still feel my car can make more power

That's fine bro. I gave you the option when we were on the dyno to turn the timing up but after seeing the car loose power at 16 degrees I knew something was up ie: bad gas or something to that affect.

So he bumped your timing and the car didn't pick up power, how do you think you will make more power? Have you ever done a compression check or leak down of your motor

What plugs are you running, what are they gaped at?
Is the TB opening all the way?
Is you inner cooler pump running?
What where intake temps?

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
are people paying attention here? A smoothed out graph is posted and all is ok? So now smoothing is a better representation of the tune? cmon...the guy just said it himself "I on the other hand turn the filters down so I can see more "raw" data to make better corrections". Smoothing makes the "appearance" better people....

To the tuner....It goes leaner towards higher rpm and its clearly over 12:1 near the peak in raw data. You saw that bump at 6k+ and said "ok its good"?

Last edited:

Rodeheavers

Established Member
are people paying attention here? A smoothed out graph is posted and all is ok? So now smoothing is a better representation of the tune? cmon...the guy just said it himself "I on the other hand turn the filters down so I can see more "raw" data to make better corrections". Smoothing makes the "appearance" better people....

To the tuner....It goes leaner towards higher rpm and its clearly over 12:1 near the peak in raw data. You saw that bump at 6k+ and said "ok its good"?

Look at the tiny spikes in the boost, they pretty much go hand in had with the a/f spikes... When I smooth them out they go away. These are the tiny bumps in the path that good equipment will see. Most a/f gauges have built in smoothing and you will never see this. The livelink log did not show this spike and the maf xfer function was right on par with the air flow, so I determined it to be ok.

Rodeheavers

Established Member
Here is an 1% filtered graph from a Lund tune that he did on my dyno.

lundunfiltered_zps9e8a75de.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Also don't forget that those numbers are on a loaded dyno!!! There is no telling how much that dyno is "off" so to speak compared to a dynojet.

streetsweeperz

Established Member
took it to a dynojet with the tune on it it made 595hp after a few tweaks it made 629hp and 597tq put vhe on the tires and then it put down 601Tq

Rodeheavers

Established Member
I told you the car would make 600 on a dynojet! Sorry if you think my dyno reads low, I think it reads correct! I have seen to many 600hp 03-04 cobras go 12s at the track to believe dynojet numbers. We can argue for days and nights about dyno numbers, but at the end of the day its just a tool to measure your power gains and loses, to find out if your testing and attempts to make power are good or bad. I have to day this in my defense, I did not feel very comfortable tuning a stock bottom end car on pump gas with 20lbs of boost!!! I would have no problem on a built bottom end car that used only known good fuel. I build some nasty combos at my shop and some very fast cars and when we tear the motors down for refreshening the internals look like the day they were put in. One of my personal cars goes 8.50s @169mph and when I tore it down this past winter the pistons all looked brand new! Oh, and sorry for the same posts over and over, THis site would not put my posts up so I kept of trying and now they are all up...
I will say that Justin's (VMP) tune was a mail order and extremely safe tune as a mail order tune should be. I am not knocking him one bit here. I deal with him a good bit and he is a ultra knowledgeable tuner and a good guy that knows a ton more than I do! So please dont mistake what I was saying in prior posts.

Last edited:

sethahoward

Established Member
I can vouch for Tim. He tuned my vortech 2v for me. I was initially a little disappointed with the numbers that I got(355/399 through a stock automatic trans) but like he says the dyno numbers are only for tuning purposes. I have gone a best of 12.14 @ 113 and If you look at the Time slip database on this site, nearly every car around my time is over 400 horsepower. Like he said, he is not in business to run people's cars on the edge and risk blowing a motor with stock internals. At the end of the day dyno numbers don't mean anything, if you wan't to know where your car stands, go to the track and race it!

MattACK

Established Member
Notice how much the power and torque is changed by rises and dips in the A/F. It makes abrupt drops and rises of almost an entire A/F point! Get that into some capable hands. Absolutely no reason the A/F should be fluctuating that much by a professional tuner unless he isn't tuning the MAF and is only manipulating the fuel table... or the car has vacuum/boost leaks.

EDIT: Finally read where you took it somewhere else. Hope it runs better.

Last edited:

crystal_SVT

Established Member
I told you the car would make 600 on a dynojet! Sorry if you think my dyno reads low, I think it reads correct! I have seen to many 600hp 03-04 cobras go 12s at the track to believe dynojet numbers. We can argue for days and nights about dyno numbers, but at the end of the day its just a tool to measure your power gains and loses, to find out if your testing and attempts to make power are good or bad. I have to day this in my defense, I did not feel very comfortable tuning a stock bottom end car on pump gas with 20lbs of boost!!! I would have no problem on a built bottom end car that used only known good fuel. I build some nasty combos at my shop and some very fast cars and when we tear the motors down for refreshening the internals look like the day they were put in. One of my personal cars goes 8.50s @169mph and when I tore it down this past winter the pistons all looked brand new! Oh, and sorry for the same posts over and over, THis site would not put my posts up so I kept of trying and now they are all up...
I will say that Justin's (VMP) tune was a mail order and extremely safe tune as a mail order tune should be. I am not knocking him one bit here. I deal with him a good bit and he is a ultra knowledgeable tuner and a good guy that knows a ton more than I do! So please dont mistake what I was saying in prior posts.

I wouldn't be taking any advice from vmp, I know a handful of cars that have grenaded not long after leaving his dyno. Apparently peak powers numbers mean more to some tuners than the safety of ones vehicle. Props to you for keeping the guys car safe.

To the OP, hope that 30 extra hp is worth the risk.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Mind telling who retuned it, and mainly what all did he change to pick up that extra 30whp?

Evo2SVT

Established Member
I can vouch for Tim. He tuned my vortech 2v for me. I was initially a little disappointed with the numbers that I got(355/399 through a stock automatic trans) but like he says the dyno numbers are only for tuning purposes. I have gone a best of 12.14 @ 113 and If you look at the Time slip database on this site, nearly every car around my time is over 400 horsepower. Like he said, he is not in business to run people's cars on the edge and risk blowing a motor with stock internals. At the end of the day dyno numbers don't mean anything, if you wan't to know where your car stands, go to the track and race it!

I also could care less about Dyno #'s. My car makes 377hp but runs 11.0@122. Take it to the track and see what it runs

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I can't vouch for this specific dyno itself but I was recently tuned on a md and they read...waaaaaaaaay low. Like 10-15% low....I built a tvs powered 03 recently and he layed down 601/556 on the same md I was tuned on...now mind you the tuner asked how far do you want to push it..I told him 18* on the pump gas tune and 20* on race gas...its all about preference and customer/tuner communication...my customer was extremely happy and impressed with his car as was i.

Smoothing makes the lines pretty but that af is well into the 12's. My car tails up from 11:6-11:9 @6000-6180. My injectors are the culprit not the tune...I'm guessing this car by the looks of the mod list was well fueled?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread