TVS owners that installed it themselves

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
My stuff arrived today and I am going over the install instructions and it looks like a daunting task lol. anybody with any tips tricks or areas that provided any trouble to watch out for? Im going to start the disassembly process tonight. Im gonna grub and hit up autozone for the misc stuff i dont have, like solder and a soldering iron!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Roush or Edlebrock? The Magnuson kit doesn't require the mods those two do.

Best thing I can tell you is to take you're time and be careful.

87hatchy

Established Member
If you have never soldered before, practice a few times on some spare wire! Its pretty easy for the most part, but if you've never done it before, your first time will probably be a little sloppy.

Best way to do it is heat the wires you are trying to solder together from the bottom and touch the solder to the top, letting the heat from the wires melt the solder and letting the solder "run down" through the wires, rather than touching the solder on the iron, which will create big blobs.

What exactly needs soldered in that kit anyways?

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
My tip would be to inventory all your parts and check to see if anything is broke. I had a broken TPS on the Throttle body. Roush sent a new complete throttle body out next day air, with a prepaid return box for the broken TB.
I went through the directions and labeled all the parts to coincide with the directions,
Read over the directions twice before the install. Make sure you have all the tools and supplies needed before you start.

Turbo900rr

Established Member
That's a good link on how to solder. Myself I never use a gun. Too big, awkward, and heavy. A 25 watt weller soldering pencil will do 98 percent of the work we need to solder. If you really want to get into soldering this guy knows his stuff. R/C guys have to be super picky on their work because of all the vibration and the amperage that the brushless systems can pull.
How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson) - R/C Tech Forums
Do not use lead free solder. It is crap and you will pull your hair out trying to make a good quality joint.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
Its the Roush kit. My buddy is going to be doing the wiring portion since he has more experience with it. I have the new timing cover so the grinding is a little different, anyone have the new timing cover? Ive made it to the modifications section so far and that is were im calling it quits for the night.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
SLVR is your car an 11 or 12?

Depending on year is the grinding necessary?

its a 12 but had the stretchy belt TSB done which replaced the timing cover with a new one. i think i only have two bosses to grind compared to the old style with the ribs.

alex12gt

Established Member
You do have 3 to grind 2 cut off and 1 to cut in half ......just take your time it took me a total of 12 hrs but i took my sweet time torque all the major items that seal up .......if you have any question pm me

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
That's a good link on how to solder. Myself I never use a gun. Too big, awkward, and heavy. A 25 watt weller soldering pencil will do 98 percent of the work we need to solder. If you really want to get into soldering this guy knows his stuff. R/C guys have to be super picky on their work because of all the vibration and the amperage that the brushless systems can pull.
How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson) - R/C Tech Forums
Do not use lead free solder. It is crap and you will pull your hair out trying to make a good quality joint.
I'm sorry but "Pencil" type irons are excatly what you DO NOT want to use. They are designed for small circut boards, (ie. RC Cars), and CAN NOT do the job of a large High Watt gun.

The larger High Watt guns are designed for larger wiring jobs, like automotive wiring.

Your information is incorrect.

alex12gt

Established Member
I'm sorry but "Pencil" type irons are excatly what you DO NOT want to use. They are designed for small circut boards, (ie. RC Cars), and CAN NOT do the job of a large High Watt gun.

The larger High Watt guns are designed for larger wiring jobs, like automotive wiring.

......not sure if you know this but the wire we are talking about is prolly less then 20g......so a pencil type actually works just fine and is a little more handy as it is a slightly tight space

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Also a couple of large tables to lay out all your parts on makes things a lot easier when doing the install.

Last edited:

alex12gt

Established Member
Also a couple of large tables to lay out all your parts on makes thing a lot easier when doing the install.

X100 i used a 4x8 sheet of plywood for all my parts

And some or the stuff like the intercooler brackets,and pump bracket you can build before they go on the car and get hose clamps on the hoses and i also taped all the bolts into the bracket or parts they went to

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
I use a pencil iron for nearly everything I do. And I do an awful lot of soldering on wires and circuits. Yes, pencil isn't very good for large wires, but it'll be fine for what you have to do for this install.

Check the how-to section here (2011+ section) for a write up I did with lots of tips, tricks, and things roush completely forgot to put in the manual.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
heres what ive ground down on the cover so far, i didnt get to work on the car much today. you think this is low enough or should i go a little lower?

e6bb41af.jpg

5b758430.jpg

f8666b73.jpg

Turbo900rr

Established Member

Agree to disagree.You do it your way I'll do it mine. I've soldered 8ga high strand wire with a 25 watt pencil iron with zero issues. Now...if I need to solder wire to a large metal surface, then yes the heat will be sucked out of the iron and a poor solder joint is sure to happen. But soldering wire to wire or wire to a connector a 25 watt weller(not walmart crap) soldering iron will do 98% of the work we will do in an automotive application.

grnenvy

Established Member
When doing the cover/grinding I found that the two best tools were a small hack saw for the top boss and an angle grinder for the rest. They sell a rough cookie/disk for removing alot of material and a smooth cookie/disk for finished work. U will also need a couple cutting disks.
Everything u need is at Home Depot. Hopefully u have a compressure. Also cover the car and motor debris goes everywhere. I would also wear goggles and a breathing mask.

For the soldering go get yourself a small Butane torch and low temp solder it also can be purchased at Depot.

Just take your time and follow the directions in order.

Last edited:

alex12gt

Established Member
Make sue to test fit the bracket for clearance on the boss thats cut in half i had to check and cut 2 more times before it cleared.....idk why that one can just be wacked as well

Users who are viewing this thread