Twin or SBTB? Performance route suggestions

Lunchbox02HD

SVT noob
Established Member
So I have searched around and cannot find a definitive answer. I have a 2008 GT500 that I am starting to mod. I have no intentions of upgrading the blower. Maybe port the case but I don't know yet. My intentions are to go with 2.6 upper pulley, tensioner and 10% lower pulley. Where I am torn is the throttle body. I have the BBK cold air, and was thinking of going with their twin bore 65mm twin blade throttle body. Will it provide sufficient flow or do I need to go with the Ford Racing SBTB? I want to make sure I have sufficient flow but do not want more than I need since there is obviously a significant price difference between the two.

Current mods are: BBK cold air, Lethal performance off road H pipe, MRBP 3" race cat back, Bama tuning.

Future upgrades: Throttle body, spark plugs, upper pulley, lower pulley, tensioner pulley

Any other recommendations? Is a port worth it? Should I upgrade the heat exchanger and fans?

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I have not read to much on BBK's TB's...I know the CJ 65.3,63.5, or mono are good choices. You also have the VMP 67, and the the big daddy BPS 73. Going with a 65' TB though is good. Depending on the size of of your current CAI, results will vary. But either way, you cannot go wrong doing the upgrade.

The H/E is a worthy upgrade. lower temps are always good. As for the port.....IMO if your going to remove the blower to port, its worth it to just go with a Trinity blower take off, (13/14) or buy a VMP TVS (They have the new GEN II hitting soon) to really get the most out of the setup. A port is decent but up against a TVS or upgraded blower, you will see how lacking it is in comparison.

Last edited:

Lunchbox02HD

SVT noob
Established Member
I really don't see me doing the port and a blower upgrade is way more than I am looking for. Just really looking to up the boost and figured getting that stock TB out of there is the first step. I just wanted to see what those with experience recommend. I didn't know if the BBK would be fine for pulley upgrades and the SBTB would be more for a blower upgrade, or if I should still do the SBTB even for just pulley upgrade.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
So I have searched around and cannot find a definitive answer. I have a 2008 GT500 that I am starting to mod. I have no intentions of upgrading the blower. Maybe port the case but I don't know yet. My intentions are to go with 2.6 upper pulley, tensioner and 10% lower pulley. Where I am torn is the throttle body. I have the BBK cold air, and was thinking of going with their twin bore 65mm twin blade throttle body. Will it provide sufficient flow or do I need to go with the Ford Racing SBTB? I want to make sure I have sufficient flow but do not want more than I need since there is obviously a significant price difference between the two.

Current mods are: BBK cold air, Lethal performance off road H pipe, MRBP 3" race cat back, Bama tuning.

Future upgrades: Throttle body, spark plugs, upper pulley, lower pulley, tensioner pulley

Any other recommendations? Is a port worth it? Should I upgrade the heat exchanger and fans?

Several years back I had a ported stock blower. It seemed to lower the case temps by a good amount. I maybe netted 10-15 hp. You will need all the temp reduction you can get with the upper and lower pulley combination. An upgraded heat exchanger will be needed. You might want to think about a one-piece driveshaft once the pulley's are installed.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Go with the Ford Racing twin 65 TB and swap to a JLT 123 or 127 intake. I made 600 RWHP/605 RWTQ w/ the set up you are talking about + long tube headers.

Users who are viewing this thread