Umm...

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
"After all, when you shell out $13,000 for a 30K service, you need to have a good sense of humor. It keeps you from screaming."

From Treynor back in 06.

I wonder if Ben is talking about his race car(s). I have no idea what service pricing is for cars in a racing class.

I do know this... all new Ferrari street cars come with 7 years of maintenance which is included in your purchase. So, brand new street cars should cost you zero additional dollars for service for the first 7 years you own it.

Also, as you can see in the link I posted, "vintage" cars (7 years old or more) are no where near $13k. Some of them are over $7k though. But with 3 to 5 years advanced notice... if you can afford the car, you should be able to put a little cash away over the years to pay for the service.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It was for his 355 I believe. Again this is not a regular service interval it was 30k service which most likely included everything drop motor, brakes rotors, tranny and the like.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I said this in the other thread, but $92k.........damn! I hope the dealer at least include a gallon of KY. I never new a crankshaft could make people so crazy.
You can get a non-R GT350 for that beautiful crankshaft. It's basically an extra $40,000 for some carbon fiber parts LOL I don't get it at all.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I said this in the other thread, but $92k.........damn! I hope the dealer at least include a gallon of KY. I never new a crankshaft could make people so crazy.

It's not about the crankshaft for me. Yes, it is asinine to pay that kind of price for one of these things, but I stated my reasons why I eventually did.

...if you can afford the car, you should be able to put a little cash away over the years to pay for the service.

If you can't throw the keys to the shop for routine maintenance and say "Call me when it's ready" and walk away, you've overreached your purchase power. You shouldn't have to put away money just for maintenance. If your engine or transmission has unexpectedly exploded, that's a different story. I don't think anybody prepares for something like that, unless they're really into modding and/or racing. That's when you need to have some contingency funds.

Zemedici

Established Member
If you can't throw the keys to the shop for routine maintenance and say "Call me when it's ready" and walk away, you've overreached your purchase power. You shouldn't have to put away money just for maintenance. If your engine or transmission has unexpectedly exploded, that's a different story. I don't think anybody prepares for something like that, unless they're really into modding and/or racing. That's when you need to have some contingency funds.

Excellent post - agree 100%

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member

I agree, but I think you are missing my point. I specifically said that...

A.) the $13k services are simply a falsehood for the street cars. For 7 years its included in the purchase price, and out of that 7 years is about $1k for a scheduled service.

B.) if you can afford a $90k car... you should be able to afford the $7k major maintenance. Especially with 3 to 5 years notice.

BTW, the 45k and 75k major maintenance on a 2007 Mustang GT could be as expensive as $6,000, depending on what inspected items need to be replaced. That was a $28k car. How many Mustang GT owners do you think can afford that with zero planning? Better question... how many people you thing just skip it all together and just wait for shit to break, because they can't afford to do all the maintenance?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

A.) the $13k services are simply a falsehood for the street cars. For 7 years its included in the purchase price, and out of that 7 years is about $1k for a scheduled service.

Not a falsehood. The suggested 3 year cambelt change is about $4k on a F430, ask how I know. The F1 transmission clutch are extremely finicky and are extremely expensive to replace. I think parts alone are $5k, with labor ranging from $3k-4,500.

B.) if you can afford a $90k car... you should be able to afford the $7k major maintenance. Especially with 3 to 5 years notice.

"Should" is very subjective.

BTW, the 45k and 75k major maintenance on a 2007 Mustang GT could be as expensive as $6,000, depending on what inspected items need to be replaced. That was a $28k car. How many Mustang GT owners do you think can afford that with zero planning? Better question... how many people you thing just skip it all together and just wait for shit to break, because they can't afford to do all the maintenance?

I think you're missing the difference between higher likelihood and lower likelihood of needing the service done.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Not a falsehood. The suggested 3 year cambelt change is about $4k on a F430, ask how I know.

Wow... okay, so tell me again how $4k equals $13k? I actually said that the major service on the 360 is $3,200. I even posted the link to the website from a dealer with all of the prices.

Ah, forget it.... I'm wasting my time.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I didn't say $4k = $13k. I was merely pointing out one service that is a suggested maintenance item that already totals $4k. Following the maintenance and service guide in a F430, you'd be spending more than $13k.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

"Should be able to afford" is the operative phrase. I totally believe there are people buying Mustang GTs that can't afford to maintain them. That's why we always see so many "Getting Married/Having a Baby/Rent Went Up/etc. Gotta Sell The Mustang" threads. The mags are always proclaiming how "affordable" the Mustang GT is, but they don't tell the whole story. It's a affordable to financially stable and established people. $30K+ is a lot of money to put on a car. Too many [young] people are coughing up for it without even thinking about the costs of ownership.

I'm at a good place in life right now, so I "hire out" routine maintenance on our cars. Whenever I take my GT500 in just for an oil change, it seems I can never come away without having to pay at least $200. With the S4, the minimum bill tended to be around $400. With the old Forester, the bills were racking up to $800+ per visit. That's why I traded it. A few hundred dollars here and there start to add up real quick.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Wow... okay, so tell me again how $4k equals $13k? I actually said that the major service on the 360 is $3,200. I even posted the link to the website from a dealer with all of the prices.

Ah, forget it.... I'm wasting my time.

Yes indeed, the major service _by itself_ for a 355 was $5,000. That's for the standard engine-out, change the belts / hoses / ... But that's assuming everything else is perfect. The 355s all tended to burn holes in their exhaust manifold after a couple of years, as a matter of course. Replacement exhaust manifolds from the factory? Several $thousand. During that major service, the clutch needs replacement. Several $thousand. And then, the tires are worn out after 15K miles. A couple more $thousand.

By the time it was done, the bill was $13K for things which had simply worn out over the course of 15K miles.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
It seems you are really supporting my point, Ben. That was my whole point. Stuff wears out on every car... and when you buy high performance cars, you have to assume there is going to be equal cost of ownership.

My chief complaint is, some folks are making it sound like you're speeding $13k for a fluids change, and based on what you just wrote and what the dealers post on their websites, its simply not the case.

Again... cost of ownership is a lot different that cost of an oil change.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It seems you are really supporting my point, Ben. That was my whole point. Stuff wears out on every car... and when you buy high performance cars, you have to assume there is going to be equal cost of ownership.

My chief complaint is, some folks are making it sound like you're speeding $13k for a fluids change, and based on what you just wrote and what the dealers post on their websites, its simply not the case.

I agree woth your point as stated.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member

13,000 dollars or 1,300 dollars?!?!
13,000 dollars for a rear wing seems a little "out there". lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its in the $13k range ...... had our parts dept at the dealership I work at verify it

CO Mack

Established Member
People being expected to defend buying a Mustang on a Mustang forum continues to amaze.

There are lots of great reasons to buy a Mustang over a Ferrari. Including maintenance. I don't want to buy my Ferrari from the guy spending a grand or two a year on maintenance unless that's to change dead batteries from it sitting.

Besides that, it's just a cost. I could afford services on a sportscar much more expensive than my GT350, but it would've kept me from buying. I'd rather buy other stuff, or put more money in the kids' college funds, towards my mortgage etc etc.

zombiekiller

I'm one of the tech owners that has installed coolers. Adding a trans cooler with an electric pump is pretty simple. IMO, if you can install headers on a gt350, installing the coolers is cake. I also installed the factory differential cooler setup, figured out the pinout and put it on a manual switch.

To my knowledge, there isnt a strength difference between the base trans and the track/r trans, just the cooling circuit difference.

if you cost delta between a 2016 tech and a car with the coolers is 15 grand, installing your own will cost you south of 2 grand. save your 13 grand or put it into some nice forgelines and CF parts or something else. You can make your car outperform a stock R with the 13 grand in spare change pretty easily.

While an R is "cool", I'm more interested in the performance per dollar at the track. My car hustles its booty off and I feel like, if I had a 3rd party drive my car, vs a stock R at the track, my car would lap faster. Win!

as for the "but it wont be under warranty" conversation, my tech trans cracked on the tailshaft housing casting, it took the dealer 2.5 months to fix it and ford roadside damaged my car doing serious damage to my kooks midpipes and denting my car. They wouldnt fix it, so I ended up having to foot the repair bill too. It would have been easier, faster and cheaper to buy the pump trans.

the point is, ford sucks at warranty work and keeping you straight anyway. Just assume if you are using the car for what it is good at, you'll be making repairs on your own anyway.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
People being expected to defend buying a Mustang on a Mustang forum continues to amaze.

There are lots of great reasons to buy a Mustang over a Ferrari. Including maintenance. I don't want to buy my Ferrari from the guy spending a grand or two a year on maintenance unless that's to change dead batteries from it sitting.

Besides that, it's just a cost. I could afford services on a sportscar much more expensive than my GT350, but it would've kept me from buying. I'd rather buy other stuff, or put more money in the kids' college funds, towards my mortgage etc etc.

Don't get me wrong... I had owned at least 1 Mustang my entire adult life. I have 2 at the moment. I'm just interested in growing the stable and variety is the spice of life.

There is nothing wrong with what you posted above either. Living within your means is smart, and so is choosing not to buy a car that is not properly maintained.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

My entire point was that you can spend 85k on an R or a 360 and the Ferrari will be a lot more to maintain and service. Most likely 3 times as much when comparing 4k to 13k every 30k miles or so.

Then you called bs. But it's cool. Is there still a beer emoji?

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I'm on my phone, so it's a PITA to do now, but I'll have to go back and look at the posts. There is a big difference between cost of ownership and "scheduled service" or "scheduled maintenance". If we were having 2 different conversations, then my bad... but that isn't the way I took it.

And for what it's worth... I don't care about the dollar per value when comparing a Mustang to a 360. I want to buy one because of what it is. Not because of cost or performance.

CO Mack

Established Member
Don't get me wrong... I had owned at least 1 Mustang my entire adult life. I have 2 at the moment. I'm just interested in growing the stable and variety is the spice of life.

There is nothing wrong with what you posted above either. Living within your means is smart, and so is choosing not to buy a car that is not properly maintained.

Nothing wrong with that of course.

It's not so much living within means, which is a given, as it is to have the discipline to live within priorities. :)

Users who are viewing this thread