Underhood Refinish!

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Turned out beautiful. The two times I've taken my hood off those little studs scare me.

I developed an unfound anger when this happened that is for sure. They couldn't use larger studs or have nutserts on the hood to pop on a new stud :shrug: Had to be creative for this one considering the hood hinge has to sit flush on the hood or the hood would be offset and raised.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, glad you were clever and wise enough to get around the stud issue.

RDWHINE

Terminator
Established Member
I broke my stud 6 months ago and you come along with this. I thank you, you will receive a pm in the next few days!

T0RCH3D

Established Member
I know, pretty dumb design IMO.

I agree! :nonono:

Well, glad you were clever and wise enough to get around the stud issue.
Thank you sir! :beer:

I broke my stud 6 months ago and you come along with this. I thank you, you will receive a pm in the next few days!

Sounds good glad I can help, I am currently on the phone with another member here who had broke a hood stud today so I can walk him through it. Seems to be a very common occurrence.

Last edited:

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Nice Ive always wanted to do something similar except paint the understand black with VHT or something. I dont like that its miscolored under there

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
The two times I've taken my hood off those little studs scare me.

Same here! I'm not a fan of the type of lock nuts they use on the hood. I've been meaning to go a different route...should occupy very little of my time this winter. lol

OP, nice job on the refinish...looks great! Sucks about the broken stud, but sounds like you came up with a great solution! :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The info contained in this thread is great, and will likely be of value to others in the future who want to paint the underside of the hood. I added it to my Terminator FAQs so it is now available both on my website and here on SVTP in the Terminator FAQs. Painting the Underside of the Terminator Hood

Thanks, Nick, for taking the time to detail the work you did. :thumbsup:

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Same here! I'm not a fan of the type of lock nuts they use on the hood. I've been meaning to go a different route...should occupy very little of my time this winter. lol

OP, nice job on the refinish...looks great! Sucks about the broken stud, but sounds like you came up with a great solution! :beer:

It isn't the flange nut itself that Ford uses from factory, there is one big problem paint on the thread of the stud. This in turn provides a lot of torque of the stud when trying to turn of with a higher drive ratchet. The material of the stud isn't also a strong point in this area. Mix both along with the diameter of the stud and it is almost impossible not to break it lose. My advice to all would be hit it with WD40 and hit the exposed threads with a wire brush before backing out the nut. Then hit with a wire brush again. This will help reduce the chances of a broken or stripped stud/nut.

The info contained in this thread is great, and will likely be of value to others in the future who want to paint the underside of the hood. I added it to my Terminator FAQs so it is now available both on my website and here on SVTP in the Terminator FAQs. Painting the Underside of the Terminator Hood

Thanks, Nick, for taking the time to detail the work you did. :thumbsup:

Thank you CobraBob, I hope this helps others complete this project. I should have further documented the solution for fixing the broken stud. I was fairly flustered as well so with all the brainstorming and fabrication it took I failed to document each step. This seems to be the big problem area but at least the guidelines are there. I may add step by step procedure in the OP and then have people PM/call with further questions.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thank you CobraBob, I hope this helps others complete this project. I should have further documented the solution for fixing the broken stud. I was fairly flustered as well so with all the brainstorming and fabrication it took I failed to document each step. This seems to be the big problem area but at least the guidelines are there. I may add step by step procedure in the OP and then have people PM/call with further questions.

What you've posted will help, for sure. It also should make those removing the hood a bit more careful in trying not to break the studs.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Looks awesome man!! I have been wanting to do my hood

Go ahead and do it already!

Looks like it came out great! Glad to see you get it finished up! :thumbsup:

Thanks 04sleeper and thanks again for your advice!

What you've posted will help, for sure. It also should make those removing the hood a bit more careful in trying not to break the studs.

Yes that will help a lot of people. The solution I came up with works but takes some time, will be much better off if the correct steps are taken prior to removing the hood than rushing through it. Guilty as charged!:p

Users who are viewing this thread