Upgrade from the Goodyear GS-D3

MY DREAM

Established Member
Who has had the goodyear GS-D3 and upgraded to a different tire? I am currently in the market for a new set of tires, I currently have the GS-D3's on the car but would like to know if thier is a tire out thier that can grip as good, or better for a lower cost. I think that the GS-D3's are a bit overpriced, a good tire, but overpriced non the less. Just looking for opinions. I have a set of Nittos and I know how those hook, I am looking for a good tire that I can have on all four corners and use on the occasional road course. I am kinda kicking around the idea of Khumo Exta Mx's, they are a close comparison according to Tire Rack.com and a little less expensive, I would rather make an informed choice based on facts from other Cobra owners.

James

Last edited:

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
According to tire rack the Kumho has a dry grip of 8.8 the GS-D3 is 9.2 your giving up grip for $$$. I would say look for race tires for your corner carving. Heard good things about the Toyo Ra1 or the Nitto RII

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Who has had the goodyear GS-D3 and upgraded to a different tire? I am currently in the market for a new set of tires, I currently have the GS-D3's on the car but would like to know if thier is a tire out thier that can grip as good, or better for a lower cost. I think that the GS-D3's are a bit overpriced, a good tire, but overpriced non the less. Just looking for opinions. I have a set of Nittos and I know how those hook, I am looking for a good tire that I can have on all four corners and use on the occasional road course. I am kinda kicking around the idea of Khumo Exta Mx's, they are a close comparison according to Tire Rack.com and a little less expensive, I would rather make an informed choice based on facts from other Cobra owners.

James

I just went through all this too.. I ordered Vredestein Ultrac Sessentas from motorweb.com. I got 2 315/35/17 shipped for 390. They are rated just as good as GS-D3.. My friend runs them on his carrera and says they are the best tire he has ever had

MY DREAM

Established Member
According to tire rack the Kumho has a dry grip of 8.8 the GS-D3 is 9.2 your giving up grip for $$$. I would say look for race tires for your corner carving. Heard good things about the Toyo Ra1 or the Nitto RII

Your right, I don't want to loose any grip, if anything I need some more. Thank you for pointing that out. I will have to look into the Toyo Ra1's. Not to impressed with the Nitto RII.

James

MY DREAM

Established Member
I just went through all this too.. I ordered Vredestein Ultrac Sessentas from motorweb.com. I got 2 315/35/17 shipped for 390. They are rated just as good as GS-D3.. My friend runs them on his carrera and says they are the best tire he has ever had

I'm gonna check them out, never heard of it, but I will still take a look.

James

MY DREAM

Established Member

Well I just looked them up, they look really good but thier is no info on the wear rating, temp, traction, ect... I will have to do more research. They are under $140 each which is pretty nice.

James

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Well I just looked them up, they look really good but thier is no info on the wear rating, temp, traction, ect... I will have to do more research. They are under $140 each which is pretty nice.

James

They are new to the states and designed by the lamborghini folks.. They are great tires

spinscan

Established Member

James

Where did you see them for that price?

MY DREAM

Established Member
Where did you see them for that price?

motorweb.com as listed above, goo price compared to the others I have seen fo $270+ per tire!!!! but I think it was about $43 each for shipping, so more like $183.00ea. I am still looking into them as I would really like to know what the tread wear rating is ie 100 200 300 ect...

James

Last edited:

MY DREAM

Established Member
I actually debated the Nitto NT-01 for a bit then realized they were a tread wear of 100, they would probably stick good but not last long at all.

Jroc

Established Member
I have Falken Azenis RT615's and they are a pretty good handling street tire, just don't expect them to hook like a DR. I've thought about trying the new Toyo R888's but they may be a little extreme for a DD.

http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

Last edited:

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
motorweb.com as listed above, goo price compared to the others I have seen fo $270+ per tire!!!! but I think it was about $43 each for shipping, so more like $183.00ea. I am still looking into them as I would really like to know what the tread wear rating is ie 100 200 300 ect...

James

Mine were 25 bux a piece for shipping...

akula51

Me
Established Member

Holy sheeeee-it, thanks for the info. I was dreading replacing my GS-D3 rears which are shot...happy to have gotten 10k out of them, but damn. That's less than I paid for one of them I think when I had these put on. I was thinking of ditching my big rims and everything to drop back to a Nitto in the 275 range. I see more people staring at those 315s in the rearview than anything else....laugh

Man, next time I'm in Atlanta, I gotta drop off a case of something.

Ack

QWKRN U

1 0f 72 Build #159
Established Member
I like my Nitto 315 drag radials. not afraid to get caught in the rain and they get decent mileage if you dont abuse em non stop.

Not sure what the road racing mileage will be though, but Ive heard of lots of guys running them.

Last edited:

akula51

Me
Established Member
Hmmm...<edit, oh crap, this was for a pair of 315 35 17s...laugh>

Vredestein Ultrac Sessenta
preformanceplustire.com $401.45 shipped to 63303
motorweb.com $414.64 shipped to 63303 but they have bill-me-later

Nitto NT555R D/R
discounttiredirect.com $338 shipped (free) to 63303

GSD3s
Ouch.

DiscountTireDirect has certainly earned my business in the past. Are those the Nittos you have QRU? Dobbs had a BFG D/R for $252 a tire...those guys are great for the install and all at $50 a tire and it's time for a fuel filter while it's on the rack, but man I love Al Gore's internet for the deal.

Decisions, decisions...argh I just need something to get through the summer, and I doubt I'm putting 10k on them between now and then.

Ack

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Just ordered a set of Nitto 555 NON-drag radials in 315/35/17 and should be at the house when I get home. $205 each from american muscle w/free shipping and there is a discount for 6% off. Saved me tax since them and I are from Pa. Cheaper than DTD who is showing none in stock. AM had 20 in stock when I ordered.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
What about the BFG T/A KDW, anyone have good/bad with those?

James

I've had a couple sets. In my opinion,they are almost as good as GS-D3s, but not quite. For more grip for open track, you really need to get "R" compounds (RA-1s, RIIs, etc.).

MY DREAM

Established Member

So, how do you like the Vredestein Ultrac Sessentas compared to the GS-D3's?

James

Users who are viewing this thread