upgraded phb brace worth it?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
has anyone who replaced his phb brace noticed any performance improvement afterwards? I know the stocker is whimpy but is this $100 upgrade worth it?

Onelfastlride

Established Member
I did mine just for more exhaust clearance on my lowered car. The replacement bar was much beefier too.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I did one on my car and its one of those parts that you ask yourself "why the hell did I buy this?"

01bluesnake

Established Member
I installed a BMR upgraded brace when I did their phb.
Reason I chose to upgrade: factory added a brace due to knowledge of flex at that point. The stock brace is a joke, but again. All the factory stuff works around a factory car and might not be suitable once something is modified.

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
If you have $100 extra laying around then "why not". All of my mods are typically planned out and budgeted weeks or months ahead. This would definitely not make anywhere near the top of my list...

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
It will guarantee 9 second 1/4's on stock tune. Best kept secret other than foglight delete race mod. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon::D

Muffler bearings next???

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
Just a piece of mind mod. You know that it isnt stock. So you can pull 2g off the onramp if you want to.......

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I've done everything else in the rear once I put on the relo brackets this weekend so this is like getting that last Star Wars / He Man figure. I noticed steeda uses a pipe instead of a box design. it's a little bit cheaper too.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
If you don't track the car then i doubt you will ever benefit from it.

Not true. The point of it is to eliminate deflection.

I didn't replace mine because of the exhaust. I figured a beefier brace would interfere.

Not at all.

I will always recommend swapping it out. STEEDA, BMR, and Whiteline all make a good one. I used the whiteline in mine and did a thread a few weeks ago showing the difference and explaining why.

Nuar

Established Member
Now.... Does the BMR or the Steeda brace give you more clearance for the exhaust piping?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I know the box styles (bmr, whiteline) are bent on the passenger side for clearance. dunno about steeda but it looks less girthy.

Nuar

Established Member
Yup, thays exactly why i was wondering which one had better clearance.
Bmr is designed with that slight bend, but its a lot wider. Steeda one is round and not nearly as wide so it might have more clearance...

13RaceRed5.0

Established Member
I need to get one that has better exhaust clearance. I can't remember which side but mine sits pretty close. Anyone know which one gives the most clearance? Bmr or steeda?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm usually a sucker for buying anything that's better than stock but I can't imagine this improving the phb deflection that much to notice. A skid pad comparo would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread