Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

dumbstixlars

Established Member

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
if you really want the coil overs then why not go with Griggs

^ this, biggest regret do far is not seeing the Griggs kit sooner. Don't get me wrong the full UPR rear with pro kit springs and dspecs is great... It's just not as good as a damned watts link with a torque arm and coilovers

kingnut

Established Member
been researching this topic for a while. i like the coilover setup simply because you can adjust the ride height to exactly where you want it. where as springs take a "one size fits all" approach. really when it comes down to it a set of BC racing coilovers isnt that much more that a complete springs, shocks, and CC package.

i was thinking about the fortune auto setup. but since its no longer available its gonna be BC racing coilovers for $995. heres a few links to threads of people installing them on 2011+ mustangs

BC Racing Coilovers Installed on 2011 Mustang GT :pics - Ford Mustang Forums

Slammed 2011 GT - YouTube

IMAG0346.jpg

Last edited:

five0three

big deal
Established Member
BC=crap. i would go with good spring/shock setup or a good coilover setup. dont cheap out on either. look for a coilover that is made out of stainless steel (kw for instance). they last longer and are easier to use when they are 5 years old...

Griever423

Established Member
BC racing along with Megan, Stance, and every other chinese made shock is crap. There is a reason they are so cheap.'

Unless you plan on road racing or autoxing extensively I think your and your wallet would be perfectly happy with a good set of shocks, springs, and camber plates.

Koni makes very good single adjustable shocks, or Koni "yellows" as they are commonly referred to. You can pick up a set of 4 for about $600. Swift makes some excellent springs, not sure about what is available for the newer mustangs. All you'll need then is a set of camber plates and you'll be set.

A good shock and spring combo will blow any "budget" coil over out of the water any day of the week. Your ride quality will be better and the handling of your car will be much better. If you want height adjust-ability ground control makes a coil over conversion setup you can purchase for the koni shocks here: Ground Control - 2005-up Mustang GT Coilover Conversion Kit

If you want a conventional coil over setup you're looking at spending at least $1400 and thats for a very basic entry level setup like a KW variant 1 or something similar. The prices might vary a little bit but in this case you really are getting what you pay for. Also, keep in mind unless specified a coil over setup is not going to come with camber plates, so thats an additional $300-$450 right there too. Thats gonna put you close to $2000.

Seriously, get the Koni's and a good set of camber plates and springs. You'll be blown away at how much better the car feels and your wallet will be happy too. There are people who win national events on Koni yellows with ground control springs.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
What about STR's? I haven't found the yellows yet. I'll do quality springs and dampeners over BC coilovers, I spend time on the import side as well so I am aware of their rep.

Last edited:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Just haven't had great experiences with H&R coilovers in the past, they had a very harsh ride. BC and all the S.E Asia coilovers are cheap and are obviously not made to the tight tolerances and with the same materials as some of the higher end brands. However, their performance is pretty damn good especially for the price. I had BC's on my STI and originally was not expecting much from them because they were cheap. But their performance was quite good and the damping adjustment actually worked. Although there are 30 settings I'd say there are really about 15 because a single click of the valve knob was not noticable. I routinely out performed people with higher dollar setups at track events, and even got comments from instructors and better drivers that their performance was suprising. I was originally completely against them but after using them especially on a daily driver I'd use them again. If my car was only a track car I'd go with a better setup. But for a daily driver the budget setups work fine, ride better than springs because you haven't reduced suspension travel, and also provide you with the ability to adjust damping if they are too firm or soft for you, plus you get adjustable camber plates. Just be sure the setup you are buying has the correct spring rates because that alone will make or break the performance of the setup.

Last edited:

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Just haven't had great experiences with H&R coilovers in the past, they had a very harsh ride. BC and all the S.E Asia coilovers are cheap and are obviously not made to the tight tolerances and with the same materials as some of the higher end brands. However, their performance is pretty damn good especially for the price. I had BC's on my STI and originally was not expecting much from them because they were cheap. But their performance was quite good and the damping adjustment actually worked. Although there are 30 settings I'd say there are really about 15 because a single click of the valve knob was not noticable. I routinely out performed people with higher dollar setups at track events, and even got comments from instructors and better drivers that their performance was suprising. I was originally completely against them but after using them especially on a daily driver I'd use them again. If my car was only a track car I'd go with a better setup. But for a daily driver the budget setups work fine, ride better than springs because you haven't reduced suspension travel, and also provide you with the ability to adjust damping if they are too firm or soft for you, plus you get adjustable camber plates. Just be sure the setup you are buying has the correct spring rates because that alone will make or break the performance of the setup.

Hmmm... You make a good case for them. I went looking, where can I buy them?

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Don't know haven't looked for the 5.0 yet. I'd contact BC and get a part number then go through their vendor list b/c you won't be paying MSRP and can probably get deeper discounts with a coupon code found on the net. I'd also check on spring rates with Vorshlag before purchasing anything and get the spring rates for any of the budget setups you'd be considering and compare.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
So many options. My big thing is I don't want CC plates that use any part of the original factory parts. It is a weak design, so using any part of it doesn't seem like a good idea.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
FYI TireRack has a $250 rebate on KW suspension parts going on...

Strano has them cheaper. They are only offering $50 off the Variant 1's unfortunately.

So I'm thinking about going with these parts:

Koni STR Shocks/struts
H&R super sport springs
GT500 mounts

I figure I can flip the mounts to make up for the lost camber.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
anyone know what spring rates to pick for a coilover setup used only for the street? i know alot of them come 7k front and 5k rear. looking for the best ride quality street setup.

jonp

Established Member
Kingnut mentioned something that has been a little neglected in this thread so far.

We aren't comparing ultra low end coilovers with top end stock style here are we?

I plan on owning this car for a LONG time daily driving it, and upgrading low quality parts in a few years makes me sad. A good coilover setup is far more expensive than springs/plates/struts.

You're also going to swap out control arms and other items that will eventually make a good coilover setup cost you more than $3k without even going all out.

Users who are viewing this thread