Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Coilovers

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • other *please post what and why

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I'm trying to decide here what I want to do. Since my driver side strut mount started making noise (and then stopped), and I'm not happy with my ride height I know I'll be pulling the suspension apart on my 12 GT again soon. I am trying to decide between Koni STR.T struts, H&R SS springs, and MM CC plates. Or Eibach/H&R coilover kits and MM CC plates.

Cost will be aprox. <$1000 for the factory style setup vs. ~$1500 for the coilovers. I like the idea of being able to tune the height of the car instead of installing the springs and hoping for the best.

I was going to try and be a cheapass and just do plates/springs, but I imagine cutting corners like that will not yield acceptable results. Car is 95% street with probably a trip to the strip later this year. I don't have time unfortunately to do any autocross or HDPE events.

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
coil overs because they are stiffer and have better bearings to make the steering smooth as butter without any stiction, also make sure to get a top quality top mount that is fully adjustable.

alex12gt

Established Member
ive got just eibach pro kit springs with camber bolts if you dont track the car why put all that money into coilovers......your factory shocks/struts will last for a while so why not just leave them in, with the pro kit springs my ride isnt harsh and the body roll was cut down and it dropped the rear 1.5 and the front prolly around 1.25 (roush sc weights the front down a bit

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Coilovers, and they will not kill the ride quality of your car if they have the proper spring rates and damping settings for how you intend to use the car most. Don't buy H&R, If you're looking for the best go AST or KW. With coilovers you will get benefit of being able to lower your car without losing suspension travel. That is why almost every lowering spring rides like crap and you are constantly testing the limits of the bump stops. There is a guy on here running Fortune Auto, they look ok and what one would expect out of a budget coilover made somewhere in S.E Asia. Haven't seen any shock dynos for them so can't comment on their performance or actual response to damping adjustment. Talk to Vorshlag about your suspension needs they are super knowledgable and will send you down the right path.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If your not tracking or autoX regularly, coilovers are a waste of money and will kill the ride quality of your car.
I take it you don't have any experience or done any research on them. seeing as how this statement is so far off the mark and all

don't listen to these suckers; all or nothing, go coilovers!!! :D
THIS

I have coil overs on my 04. I liked them so much I had them put on my 95 as well. no killing of the ride quality at all. Plus they give you a chance to change the ride height of your car to suit your wants / needs without having to change springs or take out ISOs

Maximum Motorsports Coil Overs FTW

dumbstixlars

Established Member
There is a guy on here running Fortune Auto, they look ok and what one would expect out of a budget coilover made somewhere in S.E Asia. Haven't seen any shock dynos for them so can't comment on their performance or actual response to damping adjustment.

I contacted FA and they no longer make those CO's unfortunately.

If I go with CO's it would be nice if I could get a set with plates and perches already. I'm not 100% comfortable with MM's use of the stock mounts.

Last edited:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
BC Racing also makes good budget coilovers, had them on my STI and for $900 they were pretty damn impressive and come with adjustable camber plates. Don't think they have a 2011+ direct part number but I believe I've seen people using the 2010 versions. Did Fortune Auto say why they are no longer?

dumbstixlars

Established Member
BC Racing also makes good budget coilovers, had them on my STI and for $900 they were pretty damn impressive and come with adjustable camber plates. Don't think they have a 2011+ direct part number but I believe I've seen people using the 2010 versions. Did Fortune Auto say why they are no longer?

They didn't. They just stated they no longer made them. They have a version out now under the Muller line, but they start at $1700 with springs.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i would suggest calling up vorshlag motorsports. they're a dealer for AST shocks(they aren't cheap, but they are quality!) and they make some DAMN nice caster/camber plates. they have an '11 GT right now running ASTs and their plates, and they've been pounding the shit out of it in some autocross, road course action, and street use.
ground control also offers nice coilovers and C/C plates(that i know nothing about). might want to check them out as well.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
They didn't. They just stated they no longer made them. They have a version out now under the Muller line, but they start at $1700 with springs.

I believe those are the same ones they just reboxed them, probably to distance themselves from the import crowd. Did you get that price from them? If so call some vendors. You were probably given MSRP and will find much better pricing from a vendor. In the end Vorshlag will answer everything you need to know and provide you with the best stuff available.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I believe those are the same ones they just reboxed them, probably to distance themselves from the import crowd. Did you get that price from them? If so call some vendors. You were probably given MSRP and will find much better pricing from a vendor. In the end Vorshlag will answer everything you need to know and provide you with the best stuff available.

Yeah that was MSRP. Haven't found them at any vendors yet. The Muller line ones don't look the same though. The Vorshlag stuff looks nice, but is more then I'm willing to spend. I could blow $3K on a CO setup, but I'm not going to.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
for a 95% street car save the money an go with the Springs shocks an CC plates. if you really want the coil overs then why not go with Griggs

Users who are viewing this thread