Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Coilovers

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • other *please post what and why

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

dumbstixlars

Established Member
anyone know what spring rates to pick for a coilover setup used only for the street? i know alot of them come 7k front and 5k rear. looking for the best ride quality street setup.

7K is close to stock for the front I think, and 5K is a little stiff. I could be wrong on those numbers though.

Kingnut mentioned something that has been a little neglected in this thread so far.

We aren't comparing ultra low end coilovers with top end stock style here are we?

I plan on owning this car for a LONG time daily driving it, and upgrading low quality parts in a few years makes me sad. A good coilover setup is far more expensive than springs/plates/struts.

You're also going to swap out control arms and other items that will eventually make a good coilover setup cost you more than $3k without even going all out.

Yeah I am hesitant to put really cheap CO's on the car. I'm leaning towards good quality dampeners and springs as of right now. I like the look of the Steeda 11+ plates, but they severely limit shock choices at this point.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Just scored a lightly used set of Steeda plates with the lower factory spring perch for about half of what it would have cost me to buy them new. That takes care of my potential negative camber problem. Probably going to order my springs and STR's before the weekend is out.

kingnut

Established Member
7K is close to stock for the front I think, and 5K is a little stiff. I could be wrong on those numbers though.

thanks for the input. looking for some more answers maybe sam strano will chime in. i see alot of coilover setups are 7k front and 5k rear. but i am guessing they a track ready setups. im wondering what the spring rates would be for just a street car that will not see the track.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
thanks for the input. looking for some more answers maybe sam strano will chime in. i see alot of coilover setups are 7k front and 5k rear. but i am guessing they a track ready setups. im wondering what the spring rates would be for just a street car that will not see the track.

where are you guys getting the 7k and 5k? where I come from 7k means 7,000. so I assume you are talking about 700lb and 500lb spring rates .. if you are .. then that is about right. if not then would someone please explain what the hell 7k and 5k is.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
^ most manufacturers of coilovers and replacements spings for coilovers use metric. If only the US would come around to the units that actually are easy to use and understand.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
My vote is for air ride :beer:

Too rich for my blood. My SS springs are low enough anyhow.

34qmp87.jpg

kingnut

Established Member
Same kit except they offer swift springs for the muller. Apparently swift springs are the shit. I think the kit is $1300 with regular springs and $1700 with the swift springs.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
I'm on the fence about who to go with. I've been looking at Fortune Auto for some time. Also was giving Eibach alot of thought. So many choices....

kingnut

Established Member
I'm on the fence about who to go with. I've been looking at Fortune Auto for some time. Also was giving Eibach alot of thought. So many choices....

Yeah i will be in the same boat when i get another GT. Muller seems pretty sweet considering the swift springs have the best ride for going low (fewer coils). BC seems to be the best bang for the buck right at $1000. I was just about to make another thread yesterday asking all the guys that have installed BC's on their 11-13's are holding up.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Yeah i will be in the same boat when i get another GT. Muller seems pretty sweet considering the swift springs have the best ride for going low (fewer coils). BC seems to be the best bang for the buck right at $1000. I was just about to make another thread yesterday asking all the guys that have installed BC's on their 11-13's are holding up.

I'll probably wind up going with the Eibach Multi-Pro R1 or R2 kit.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
why... they cost a shit ton. i would go with the muller with the swift springs for that price.

No way. Both kits are about the same price when all is said and done. The R1 kit is double-adjustable (rebound and compression) as well as height-adjustable. Plus I have a wide range of Eibach ERS springs I can use to get the right spring rate I want/need. More options for a little bit more money. Not a big deal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread