urgent! steeda adjustable upper control arm and competition mount install

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
Yes, i set it to the stock length also, i dont have any vibration, just the noise. I really do think it is the washers. I will re-check the length also when I pull it all out.

And I apologize to you for not sticking to my guns on what I knew to be right. I'm pretty passive usually and am the first to admit that I do not know everything. So I just had to be sure by calling steeda this am.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
And I apologize to you for not sticking to my guns on what I knew to be right. I'm pretty passive usually and am the first to admit that I do not know everything. So I just had to be sure by calling steeda this am.

Yea we both got the same answers. So thats what im going with. Wish I had listened last nite tho.. woulda saved me some time.

86merc

Established Member
I think there may be some confusion here. The kit comes with two different size spacers. The small spacers are used on the outside of the stock body mount to sleeve the hole that is 16mm to the bolts 14mm. With the aftermarket body mount you do not used the small spacers.

From Steeda's website
"Steeda Stepped Spacers: 555-4105 upper 3rd links come with spacers designed to fix the problem with the OEM upper chassis mount. At the attachment point for the upper link to the chassis mount Ford uses a 14mm bolt, but the opening in the mount is 16mm. This is not typically a problem with the OEM 3rd link as it uses a soft hydra mount bushing to soften this. But once an aftermarket upper is installed with a urethane bushing you get a noticeable clunk from the smaller bolt walking in the larger hole it installs into. Our spacers can be installed with all aftermarket upper arms that use the factory 14mm bolt in the factory chassis mount. The stepped spacers take up the slop and eliminate the noise from the upper 3rd links associated with the mismatched bolt/bolt hole combination.

Note: Our 555-4107 and 4108 upgrades do not require these spacers with their all new chassis mounts. All Steeda 555-4105 Upper Third Links produced on or after February 2007 include the Stepped Spacers."

But the large spacers are used to make up the difference in the bushing width to the mount width. They are slightly tight to install. But not bad at all. Especially once you lube every thing up with the lubricant included with the arm. This way you are not bending and collapsing the body mount. You can see them install the large bushings in their own video. Although it is in a stock mount you can measure both mounts and see they are the same width. When I install the arm into the mount on the bench I tighten the bolt and nut to the recommended torque and the arm still goes through the full range of motion with out any issue or binding. Video here.

VIPERED91GT

Ford Technician
Established Member
So no spacers on the chassis mount side where the bushing is? I thought it was supposed to fit tight I there? Without them it has gaps on both sides of the bushing on the chassis side where it connects to the new mount. It can move from side to side is that right?

if your talking this mount with this arm the spacers go on the outside of the arm inside the bracket.. flat spot of the spacers are flush with the arm bushing..
IMG_20130221_173228_1_zps870c4306.jpg

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
Nowhere in that video do they show the steeda bracket attached to the steeda arm. Every shot is with the stock bracket.

And the steeda bracket with two holes is not the same bracket as the one we are referring to with 4 holes.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
All arguements are invalid at this point as we have spoken to steeda directly and have the proper answer.

Washers are not necessary or required. /thread

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Nowhere in that video do they show the steeda bracket attached to the steeda arm. Every shot is with the stock bracket.

And the steeda bracket with two holes is not the same bracket as the one we are referring to with 4 holes.

My bracket is the 4 hole bracket. My arm doesnt look like the photo either. It doesnt have the damper on it where that one is on the bushing end.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member

To clarify, I am not jerry rigging my car what-so-ever. I was told a specific way to assemble the parts that I bought by the manufacturer. It did not work out for my purposes so i removed it and went back to the factory upper mount and arm. Im sure any one that reads this can decipher all the crap that's in here and actually get something useful out of it. That's supposed to be the whole purpose of these forums, not get on here and kick a man when he's down to try and make others look bad.

End of story.

Last edited:

Mr.Solis

Established Member
I installed my Steeda UCA and Steeda bracket w/ the large spacers (Flat side against bushing and smaller stepped side out against bracket).
Works and fit perfectly! I did experience some diff wine and drive shaft clunk, but that was attributed to a severe pinion angle (-8).

I did attempt to install with out the spacers. However this required over tourqing the bracket in order to squeeze the bracket against the bushing to achieve a secure snug fit. The lateral space just didnt make any sense to me.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I installed my Steeda UCA and Steeda bracket w/ the large spacers (Flat side against bushing and smaller stepped side out against bracket).
Works and fit perfectly! I did experience some diff wine and drive shaft clunk, but that was attributed to a severe pinion angle (-8).

I did attempt to install with out the spacers. However this required over tourqing the bracket in order to squeeze the bracket against the bushing to achieve a secure snug fit. The lateral space just didnt make any sense to me.

Yep. That's what I did, I removed it because the whine 60-80 and hollowish sound on decel was just too much. No sense in paying 30k for a nice car then be ashamed to let anyone ride because it's so noisy. The radio wouldnt even dround it out.

Users who are viewing this thread