urgent! steeda adjustable upper control arm and competition mount install

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Help! I am trying to install my suspension setup which consists of steeda adjustable upper control arm p/n 555-4112 and 555-4027. Question is, does the two big spacers go on the bushing end that fits into the mount? I tried getting them in there but it is too tight. But without them therd is maybe a 1/4 gap on each side of the bushing end. Also on the axle end, does the brace go up or down? Thanks for your help I only have 1 car and need to get this back together asap.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Large bushings are used in conjunction with an aftermarket upper arm and stock mount. The small end of the bushings presses into, the inside of the mount where the attaching bolt goes through.

Not sure what you are asking on the second question. If it is the upper control arm mount, it will replace the stock piece the same way it came out.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Large bushings are used in conjunction with an aftermarket upper arm and stock mount. The small end of the bushings presses into, the inside of the mount where the attaching bolt goes through.

Not sure what you are asking on the second question. If it is the upper control arm mount, it will replace the stock piece the same way it came out.

So no spacers on the chassis mount side where the bushing is? I thought it was supposed to fit tight I there? Without them it has gaps on both sides of the bushing on the chassis side where it connects to the new mount. It can move from side to side is that right?

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
So the spacers are not used with the steeda mount, correct? Its supposed to have a gap between the rod end and the mount on the chassis side?

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Did it come with install instructions? If there is a gap in there, most likely the spacers are supposed to be used. That area that you are talking about are where the spacers would go. It is going to be a tight fit, getting the spacers into the bracket.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Did it come with install instructions? If there is a gap in there, most likely the spacers are supposed to be used. That area that you are talking about are where the spacers would go. It is going to be a tight fit, getting the spacers into the bracket.

That's what I was thinking. the spacers are stepped to go inside the bolt hole on the stock mount. The instructions state to use the spacers when installing the adjustable control arm with the stock chassis mount. The new mount already has the smaller holes for the 14mm supplied bolt. I read somewhere that all upper control arms now come with the spacers as standard. I cant understand why they would include a stepped spacer for a mount that the hole size is already reduced for. :shrug:

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
No washers!!! And the brace goes up!!!

Washers are for stock mount only. When you tighten the bolt it will take up the slack.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
whew, thanks. No washers and torque to 129 ft/lbs on axle end and chassis end, correct?

Thanks Blackdragon, again lol.

Yes. Your welcome.

Also, should I preload the suspension before torquing the bolts? The instructions do not say to do so but i have heard that you should.

Yes. It greatly reduces the chance of a binding condition.

Shoulda just pmed me again I would have answered a whole lot sooner...

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
It comes with two small washers and two big ones, u need to use the two big washers. Small side towards mount and big end towards bushing.

They don't fit in the steeda mounting bracket, those are meant for the stock mounting bracket.

Last edited:

momstmg

Established Member
^ I just installed the Steeda mount and uca. It says to use bigger washers in the instructions, the smaller washers are for the factory mount. It is a tight fit but it works. Put the uca and one washer in the mount then push second washer in place.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
The thick washers are for the stock mount to take out the slop in the bracket.

I installed mine with no washers and have been fine for months.

Users who are viewing this thread