Used GT500 dealer/ private prices are outrageous

nickf2005

Established Member
Ok- so what determines market value?

What actual buyers are buying cars for, or what realistic sellers are selling cars for. Supply and Demand also plays a role.

Dealerships will always want more money for the same car as a private party.

I believe car gurus.com has market value lusted for the vehicle you are searching for. Then, it tells you foreach sale add if it is above or below .

Posted via Topify using Android

Sick03Vert

Banned
:nonono: jesus, svtp can give out a lot of bad info when they have no idea what they are talking about

Not sure where or who you are pointing that at, but my info I shared, as I sit here at my job in one of a chain of six different dealerships my job requires me to work at, is very, very good.:shrug:

Robert Francis

Established Member
There's no such thing as price "justification" for just about anything. The desire and willingness or lack of, and the ability of the consumer to pay, and how quickly the seller wants to move the product, is what determines the "selling "price" of pretty much anything.

And if it's higher than what you want to pay - well either save up more or move onto something else.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Not only does the lender look at NADA but the dealership uses it to determine the value of your trade. And regardless of how much you spent on aftermarket mods your vehicle is only worth blue book value- unfortunately! For example I recently read a members post and he said he received $28,500 trade in value for his 09 GT500 which just happens to be the same amount as what NADA value is. So, it is used and it is a real value. The NADA lists retail for a 2009 GT500 for $33,000, but the average prices posted are between $36-39,000. So back to my original question- are people actually paying $36-39,000 for the car the dealership just grabbed for $28,500??

Dealerships are in the business of making money, they aren't going to sell the car for the same price they bought it for.

Cobra's and GT500's are expensive toys, and are priced that way. If they were priced too high they wouldn't sell. KBB and NADA aren't buying cars, so their numbers don't mean jack shit. KBB could tell me my car is worth $100,000 but that certainly doesn't make it worth that much.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Just a thought:

Buyers POV: You are exposed to these on a daily basis and see many people with them, modding them ect. You hear stories all the time and see it in their signature, Instagram pics, wallpaper. You see specials for mods on websites advertised all the time and holiday deals. You are exposed to the car and see it as just a nice engineering marvel.

Sellers POV: Its not a 3.2l, its not a 4 cylinder honda, a 1 gear tranny, its not a 40mpg car. Its not a turbo truck or a work truck. It doesnt appeal to a teen or the average consumer profile. Its a 5.4 - 5.8l supercharged mustang bearing the GT500 badge and has 550-650hp at the wheel. Its a high performance vehicle and often the pride of their dealership and a showpiece in their room. Its a image "LOOK HOW FAR WE COME!! WE HAVE AN EXOTIC!" Sex sells, so does high end sportcars. The average dealer isnt going to see it as a GT compared to a V6 . They will see it as a rare xxxx out of xxxx built car and will gimmick it as much as possible.

The age of the car and the time we are in, the car hasn't tipped over that depreciation mound yet so your going to be paying a good $ for it. In this market they are selling for those prices so the chances of you talking down one even 3k is unlikely never the less 10k. Id say save or wait

Last edited:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
like mentioned...... the KBB/NADA factor in to about 1% of the money a dealership will put into a trade. They go right to manheim/auction prices. If KBB says car X with 50k miles is worth $25k...yet every single identical car going through auction with the exact same year and similar mileage only bring $21-22k....can you really expect them to put all that money into it?

Teal Terminator

Established Member
A car is worth what someone will pay for it, end of story. KBB/NADA are rough guides for your "average" car with your "average" owner. Typically specialty or limited production models are under-valued per "blue book." If all others on the market are priced similarly high then you don't really have any option... pay the "inflated" price or buy something else.

Good luck.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Just like the 03/04 Cobra's, the GT500's will continue to hold their value. They're awesome cars and people want them.

Keep on looking, deals are out there.. Just don't expect someone to give it away!

oldmodman

Established Member
If a seller believes he can get $XX.XX for a GT-500, he will ask $XX.XX. If enough potential buyers walk away, the price might drop or the seller may accept a fair lower offer. Most of the time it's all about the negotiation. But not all sellers will negotiate if they're not in a rush to sell, or if they really believe it is worth $XX.XX.

Exactly correct.

If "all" the owners fell that their car is worth 10 thousand more than the banks do then they will just not sell. It's their choice.

But if you are able to find someone that is willing to sell their car for thousands less than the other guy on the next block jump on the deal.
Stuff is always only worth what the going price is.
If NOBODY was paying more than, say, 38K for a pristine 2013 GT500 then they will either gather dust in peoples garages or showroom floors until someone says "shit, I really need some money, I'll come down".

boduke0220

Established Member
i saw a 38k mile 08 shelby on the lot for 28k. also saw an 09 with 7k miles and a few mods for 33k on craigslist. but that was a few months ago.

like everyone else said its what someones willing to pay. ive noticed more in the mid 30's that i thought, i figured by now there would be more 07-09s in the high twenties.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
i saw a 38k mile 08 shelby on the lot for 28k. also saw an 09 with 7k miles and a few mods for 33k on craigslist. but that was a few months ago.

like everyone else said its what someones willing to pay. ive noticed more in the mid 30's that i thought, i figured by now there would be more 07-09s in the high twenties.

those are listing prices I am sure the actual selling price will be 28-30k

LS2GTO

Established Member
Banks like to use NADA values because the less money they have to lend, the better.

Really? Don't banks make money on the interest paid, thus the more money they lend the more they make?

Users who are viewing this thread