Used Vehicle Insights

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Having faith in people is commendable but the past two years have taught us many are not responsible with money. What looks good on paper and what actually happens is another story and there sure as hell is never a sure bet in terms of investing at least not in my opinion and I also don't think a one size fits all approach works.

The stock market has returned about 10% annually since 1926...nearly 100 years.

Seems like a pretty sure thing to me but you're right... theoretically, nothing is forever I suppose.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Having faith in people is commendable but the past two years have taught us many are not responsible with money. What looks good on paper and what actually happens is another story and there sure as hell is never a sure bet in terms of investing at least not in my opinion and I also don't think a one size fits all approach works.

Are we talking about other people or YOU?

Anyone not "responsibile enough" likely doesn't have $60k cash in the first place.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Are we talking about other people or YOU?

Anyone not "responsibile enough" likely doesn't have $60k cash in the first place.
The dollar amount is irrelevant. Not every vehicle costs $60k. People obtain $$$$ in all sorts of ways (cash out 401k, inheritance, gambling, etc..,) but what they do with it is what counts. You need to be pragmatic. Many factors come into play when deciding to pay out right for a car or take a note out on it.

Me? I don't squander money on crap to the level of other people. I prefer to make my money grow and I like having something of actual intrinsic value but that's just me. Recall the uproar and demand from two years ago about how the government needed to give people stimulus checks, halt evictions, etc.., If such a small amount of money changed one's survival odds (and it did) something was wrong.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Just paid cash for a 2020 F150 XLT 4X4 with 18K miles. You can figure out roughly what we paid from the description of the truck. We must be broke and not have any investments according to some of you on here lol. You can invest AND save up for a new vehicle.

Sure my wife and I could invest every cent we make and borrow our way through life, but that's not what we choose to do. Nothing sucks worse than stroking an $800 car note check every month for 5 years...

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
In a few years we will look back on the idea of flipping used cars for a profit as a sign of the retarded times.

Eventually the game of musical chairs stops and a lot of people will be stuck financing their negative equity. If they are rational they will default.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Look at the list. Those are cars people WANT, not need.

If you want a Bronco or G63 and don't want to wait 6-12 months and likely pay more anyway because of skyrocketing MSRP and dealer markups... You pay over used.

911 Turbos people are paying $50k+ over used because unless you are ok the list, you didn't get one new in 2021 and won't get one in 2022.

I think Lamborghini announced they are sold out on the Aventador untill it stops production now - in so like 5 years out.

This is what happens when you let government control production.

And yet Mach Es cannot even bring MSRP.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Just paid cash for a 2020 F150 XLT 4X4 with 18K miles. You can figure out roughly what we paid from the description of the truck. We must be broke and not have any investments according to some of you on here lol. You can invest AND save up for a new vehicle.

Sure my wife and I could invest every cent we make and borrow our way through life, but that's not what we choose to do. Nothing sucks worse than stroking an $800 car note check every month for 5 years...

Used XLT? Go be poor elsewhere, peasant.

jk

I get it. I had a note for a few years on my wifes expedition. Ended up paying it off early just get rid of the note. Could of put that more into investments but at the same time those were/are doing well and I just wanted to have no payments for a bit.

To me, there's no wrong or right way to do it. As long as you don't have 400 in savings and are buying a 50k truck praying for no issues
Pay it off right away? Cool.
Put some down, finance the rest, to invest the remaining? Cool.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
1645105832286.png

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
To me, there's no wrong or right way to do it. As long as you don't have 400 in savings and are buying a 50k truck praying for no issues
Pay it off right away? Cool.
Put some down, finance the rest, to invest the remaining? Cool.
Pros and cons exist for every option but who knows best for your position than you?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you bought new or near new lately you can definitely keep riding the wave.

I fell behind the value 8ball when I kept my truck past 100k it seems. If it was a 4x4 it might be a little different story. At this point seems like I might just ride it into the ground.

edit: @13COBRA - outside of bugging someone like you what's the best way to see what your used vehicle is actually work? Carvana or someone would offer me 12.5 for my truck, glancing at cars.com I see similar trucks and mileage listed by dealers more in the 19-20 range.

Users who are viewing this thread