Used Vehicle Insights

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't quote me on this, but I think that the GM engines were having issues on the Silverados, Sierras and even the Escalades.
There are a bunch of videos on Youtube about this. Make sure you check that out before buying.
AFM (Active Fuel Management) or DOD (Displacement on Demand) These systems are a real problem for GM. So much so that they are dropping the use on the 5.3 and 6.2 in 2022 and beyond until they can get something to last longer than the first oil change interval. (slight exaggeration)
There are ways to work around this, such as installing conventional hyd roller lifters and different pushrods, or the easier solution is to install a Disabler Device in the Data Link connector such as those made by Range Technologies. I have used that on the wife's Suburban with the 5.3. It will drop your average mpg by about 1 mpg but it is worth it to prevent a really costly repair when it goes bad.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Speaking of used vehicles, I sold the wife's 06' Equinox this weekend for $6K. One owner, never wreaked, 70K miles.
The couple that bought it said that they sold the Electric Car that they had because they were tired of the hassle of trying to keep it charged all the time.
I can hardly wait for the pissing and moaning about that when millions of those piles of crap are in the public's hands...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
AFM (Active Fuel Management) or DOD (Displacement on Demand) These systems are a real problem for GM. So much so that they are dropping the use on the 5.3 and 6.2 in 2022 and beyond until they can get something to last longer than the first oil change interval. (slight exaggeration)
There are ways to work around this, such as installing conventional hyd roller lifters and different pushrods, or the easier solution is to install a Disabler Device in the Data Link connector such as those made by Range Technologies. I have used that on the wife's Suburban with the 5.3. It will drop your average mpg by about 1 mpg but it is worth it to prevent a really costly repair when it goes bad.
Nice to see the 2022 5.3/6.2 are dropping it. So is the complete system removed on the 2022+ vehicles?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the only downside to using one of the Range devices is that it prevents the vehicle from receiving updates when those things are plugged in. I seen a Youtube video where one of the Silverado owners had this issue.
(Yes, I watch a lot of Youtube. LOL)

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think the only downside to using one of the Range devices is that it prevents the vehicle from receiving updates when those things are plugged in. I seen a Youtube video where one of the Silverado owners had this issue.
(Yes, I watch a lot of Youtube. LOL)
I have no problem with not getting updates. On our Suburban (2019) all of the nannies that can be turned off are turned off. No OnStar, no active Cruise Control ect. I don't need GM (OnStar) tracking my whereabouts or telling me that my car is due for a service or that the CEL is on, ect ect.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice to see the 2022 5.3/6.2 are dropping it. So is the complete system removed on the 2022+ vehicles?
I will check to see if it is removed or just disabled.
If your vehicle is out of warranty, you are looking at a $2k repair or so if it fails. Some of the older GM vehicles that have this system only deactivated 4 of the 8 cylinders. The newer vehicles had the ability to deactivate any of the 8 cylinders depending on load.
At the Dealership I have seen a $120K Escalade with less than 4,000 miles have a failure that required pulling both cylinder heads and replacing all of the lifters and pushrods and get a new "controller" which is the plate that covers the lifter valley, it has a solenoid and electronics in it that controls the oil flow to the lifters that "deactivate".
I have also seen vehicles with over 100k miles that have had no issues at all. Kind of hit and miss. Although our Dealership has done dozens and dozens of the repairs. 2-3 every week.
Obviously being at the Dealership we only see the failures, not the hundreds (or thousands) of vehicles that have had no issues.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no problem with not getting updates. On our Suburban (2019) all of the nannies that can be turned off are turned off. No OnStar, no active Cruise Control ect. I don't need GM (OnStar) tracking my whereabouts or telling me that my car is due for a service or that the CEL is on, ect ect.
I'm with you 100% brother!

I always turn off the MDS in my '16 Ram Sport 4X4 every single time I drive it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I will check to see if it is removed or just disabled.
If your vehicle is out of warranty, you are looking at a $2k repair or so if it fails. Some of the older GM vehicles that have this system only deactivated 4 of the 8 cylinders. The newer vehicles had the ability to deactivate any of the 8 cylinders depending on load.
At the Dealership I have seen a $120K Escalade with less than 4,000 miles have a failure that required pulling both cylinder heads and replacing all of the lifters and pushrods and get a new "controller" which is the plate that covers the lifter valley, it has a solenoid and electronics in it that controls the oil flow to the lifters that "deactivate".
I have also seen vehicles with over 100k miles that have had no issues at all. Kind of hit and miss. Although our Dealership has done dozens and dozens of the repairs. 2-3 every week.
Obviously being at the Dealership we only see the failures, not the hundreds (or thousands) of vehicles that have had no issues.
Ill be interested what they actually did. Hopefully completely removed it.

beau t

Established Member
speaking of the DOD issue could they have not just dropped out spark and fuel and let the cylinder act as a air pump? I have worked on a couple replacing cam, lifters, and doing a retune to remove this issue - - these motors hold up well after this, i can't believe they still use it after all of the issues they had from the first gen of it, all for 1 more MPG.

Zemedici

Established Member
I'm with you 100% brother!

I always turn off the MDS in my '16 Ram Sport 4X4 every single time I drive it.

I’m not sure if it can be deactivated with a Witech, or only if you have to tune it to get rid of it, Tony.

I could get it tuned for you no problem at all but the 15+ require the PCM unlocking bullshit

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m not sure if it can be deactivated with a Witech, or only if you have to tune it to get rid of it, Tony.

I could get it tuned for you no problem at all but the 15+ require the PCM unlocking bullshit
Thanks brother.
Yeah,.....it needs a new PCM, something I'm not looking to do since I "may" buy a new daily next year.

She does sit and sound nasty though,............(y)
103136.jpg

Zemedici

Established Member
Thanks brother.
Yeah,.....it needs a new PCM, something I'm not looking to do since I "may" buy a new daily next year.

She does sit and sound nasty though,............(y)
View attachment 1748722

you can unlock yours, or get a separate to try and keep warranty intact, but Dodge getting smart about it. I'm not sure if the taser can turn it off, lemme check.

Truck looks great too, Tony. Needs moar winder tints!

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

Thank you for the info(and others like @tones_RS3 )

I figured there could of been issues with the DOD as I remember reading issues on the 5.7/6.4 about lifter failures due to that.

Also noticed some new 2022 that did have 1mpg less than 2021's which makes sense if it does have the DOD disabled from the get go.

Looked into the Pulsar/range device. $500 ain't bad cost when it comes to making sure it stays a V8 lol.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
PRINGFIELD, Ill. (WTVO) — The state of Illinois has suspended the license of online auto dealer Carvana after the company failed to properly transfer titles on vehicles it sold.

The company is also accused of misusing out-of-state temporary registration permits, according to Automotive News.

The Illinois Secretary of State opened an investigation into over 90 consumer complaints in February and said Carvana will have to “resolve the issues at hand” before the suspension can be lifted.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you for the info(and others like @tones_RS3 )

I figured there could of been issues with the DOD as I remember reading issues on the 5.7/6.4 about lifter failures due to that.

Also noticed some new 2022 that did have 1mpg less than 2021's which makes sense if it does have the DOD disabled from the get go.

Looked into the Pulsar/range device. $500 ain't bad cost when it comes to making sure it stays a V8 lol.
If go Ram truck, you can easily put into the non MDS, (multi displacement system).

As soon as you put the truck into gear, without moving, just press your (-) button once on the steering wheel and then cycle through the (+) button till you hit 8th gear and you're good to go. Only issue is, you have to do this EVERY SINGLE TIME you put the truck into park. Pain in the ass. lol I do this every single time I drive the truck.

The Range device sounds like a good idea, just do your homework first on the Chevy or Ram forums.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
PRINGFIELD, Ill. (WTVO) — The state of Illinois has suspended the license of online auto dealer Carvana after the company failed to properly transfer titles on vehicles it sold.

The company is also accused of misusing out-of-state temporary registration permits, according to Automotive News.

The Illinois Secretary of State opened an investigation into over 90 consumer complaints in February and said Carvana will have to “resolve the issues at hand” before the suspension can be lifted.

Gf bought her car from carvana

It took months and months and months to get a plate

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
If go Ram truck, you can easily put into the non MDS, (multi displacement system).

As soon as you put the truck into gear, without moving, just press your (-) button once on the steering wheel and then cycle through the (+) button till you hit 8th gear and you're good to go. Only issue is, you have to do this EVERY SINGLE TIME you put the truck into park. Pain in the ass. lol I do this every single time I drive the truck.

The Range device sounds like a good idea, just do your homework first on the Chevy or Ram forums.

Yea I try to get my wife to do that in her wagoneer but I doubt she does it religiously like turning off the auto stop.

Been reading up on the forums, too many damn chevy forums but yea seems like a hit or miss even with range.

Going to look at a new rst ltd with the 6.2 tomorrow. The refreshed silverado is nice but it's 8k more for same options.

At worst I'll keep it stock under warranty then replace the cams/lifters after powertrain expires.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
house down my street a week ago went up for 815k (first house near us to go for that much) and went pending for 855k in 4 days. I bought for 330k 5 years ago to give you an idea.. crazy shit.

Users who are viewing this thread