Using fully synthetic oil on an engine from 1996

MMR

Established Member
How likely is it to cause oil leaks on modern engines?

On older engines, going from regular motor oil to fully synthetic oil could cause oil leaks, because the fully synthetic oil would free up dirt and stuff in the engine that would have formed a seal for the regular oil. So is this likely to happen on my 1994?

My engine is actually out of a 1996, with about 80*** miles on it.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I can only talk about the V6 in my 1992 ford Explorer.

I've been using Mobil 1 in it since it's second oil change. No oil leaks, no burning oil. I am down about 1/4 quart after three thousand miles, at which point I change it.

Had a valve cover off a few thousand mile ago and all the surfaces were absolutely clean. No crud build up at all. Looked like it had only run a couple of thousand miles it was so clean.

Maybe someone else can talk about suddenly changing to a synthetic after using dinosaur oil for most of it's life.

MMR

Established Member
I can only talk about the V6 in my 1992 ford Explorer.

I've been using Mobil 1 in it since it's second oil change. No oil leaks, no burning oil. I am down about 1/4 quart after three thousand miles, at which point I change it.

Had a valve cover off a few thousand mile ago and all the surfaces were absolutely clean. No crud build up at all. Looked like it had only run a couple of thousand miles it was so clean.

Maybe someone else can talk about suddenly changing to a synthetic after using dinosaur oil for most of it's life.

Fully synthetic oil is the best for an engine and is fine to switch to when the engine is new or just after a rebuild when all gaskets and seals are new, but my question was about switching to fully synthetic oil on an engine that has been running on regular oil all of its life.;-)

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I did my oil change yesterday, and my engine is directly from 1996. I'm the second owner and about 80% of its life it ran full synthetic. I recently just used Amsoil sig series 5w30 and I noticed through my valve cover oil opening I could read lettering on the head clear as day. Never noticed it that clear until now. The car has around 99k on it as well. Only oil leak I have is from the rear main seal, and thats getting changed this year.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I switched to Amsoil AZO 0W-30 in a 1994 Chevy Corsica that I bought used with 90,000 miles on it. The car never leaked a drop, and only had cheap oil its entire life. Only change the oil in the car once a year as well.

I'd say go for it.

MMR

Established Member
I switched to Amsoil AZO 0W-30 in a 1994 Chevy Corsica that I bought used with 90,000 miles on it. The car never leaked a drop, and only had cheap oil its entire life. Only change the oil in the car once a year as well.

I'd say go for it.

That was the answer I was looking for. Thank you :thumbsup:

And what a nice looking GT500 you have there :beer:

1hot281

Established Member
I had a 100k+ mile Honda Civic... ran synthetic blend changed at the Honda dealership it's whole life until I purchased it. I switched it to 0w-30 full synthetic, and not only did it run great, without leaking, it stopped consuming 1/2 quart of oil between changes and picked up a couple MPG.

MMR

Established Member
I had a 100k+ mile Honda Civic... ran synthetic blend changed at the Honda dealership it's whole life until I purchased it. I switched it to 0w-30 full synthetic, and not only did it run great, without leaking, it stopped consuming 1/2 quart of oil between changes and picked up a couple MPG.

Sounds good, I am going to to with a K&N Gold oil filter as well. They are "supposed" to be best with fully synthetic oil (at least thats what I have been told, I am going to try and see for my self)

And I like your avatar! :beer:

1hot281

Established Member
Sounds good, I am going to to with a K&N Gold oil filter as well. They are "supposed" to be best with fully synthetic oil (at least thats what I have been told, I am going to try and see for my self)

And I like your avatar! :beer:

K&N makes a decent filter at a premium price. Amsoil and Royal Purple make some of the best filters available. Mobil1 is also a good choice.

If Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil1, Ford Racing, or WIX weren't available, I'd probably use an OEM Ford Motorcraft oil filter over a K&N Gold.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/Oil_Filter_Cutaway_Comparison.pdf

AMSOIL EAO oil filter cut away comparison of the other oil filters on the market

MMR

Established Member
K&N makes a decent filter at a premium price. Amsoil and Royal Purple make some of the best filters available. Mobil1 is also a good choice.

If Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil1, Ford Racing, or WIX weren't available, I'd probably use an OEM Ford Motorcraft oil filter over a K&N Gold.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/Oil_Filter_Cutaway_Comparison.pdf

AMSOIL EAO oil filter cut away comparison of the other oil filters on the market

Good info right there, thanks man! :beer:

I already bought a K&N gold filter, but I guess I will just go for Motorcraft from now on.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
here is inside my 2000 v6 mustang, with 200,000 on it. BEAST has me hooked on the Amsoil as well...

47f9d100.jpg

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Good info right there, thanks man! :beer:

I already bought a K&N gold filter, but I guess I will just go for Motorcraft from now on.

Aren't K&N filters simply relabeled Mobil 1 filters?

I do not know if the K&N gold is different?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Aren't K&N filters simply relabeled Mobil 1 filters?

I do not know if the K&N gold is different?

K&N and Mobil 1 oil filters are built to nearly the same specifications by the same company, Champion Labs. I think there is a minor difference in filter media pleat count, nothing more.

Last edited:

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I on the other hand had a 1992 z28 and I switch from regular conventional oil to RP and a couple thousand miles later I noticed it developed a small oil leak... I wasn't overly concerned, but it did show me that synthetic oils do work.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I on the other hand had a 1992 z28 and I switch from regular conventional oil to RP and a couple thousand miles later I noticed it developed a small oil leak... I wasn't overly concerned, but it did show me that synthetic oils do work.

That's right. True synthetics will show you what seals are bad really quick. Sometimes, adding a seal sweller additive can reduce leaks greatly, assuming they are not to bad.

Shreddingrubber

Established Member
Wix makes a great filter and just happen to make napa's house brand as well as amsoils filters too. And believe it or not fram has really stepped up their game too. Their tough guard is a good filter as is their extended guard for longer drain intervals.
My days of paying big bucks for filters are over.

Users who are viewing this thread