Vehicle in shop incomplete, owner took his life. What now?

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
Howdy,

So I evidently have the worst luck dealing with shops. One of them had someone (who didn't even work at the shop, and off company time) take my former Cobra out for a joyride, another one closed up shop and held onto a vehicle (the giant ironhand racing thread) and now I've got another vehicle in a shop and just got contacted by the estate of the owner.

This was a "3 week to 2 month" job that has been going on for a year and a half. I'm not really sure what happened behind the scenes, but obviously this guy was battling some demons. I never really got him to be "on the level" with the build, but I had other priorities in my life. Had our second kid, business to tend to etc etc. I always just figured it was free storage while they dragged their feet. They were well known locally so this is really the last thing I ever thought would happen. I was there maybe a month or two ago and it was about 80% there. Really just needed a couple things buttoned up, put back together and sorted out. But I figured whatever, when they finish it they finish it. I had gotten so busy in my life that I couldn't devote the energy to trying to motivate them to finish it. Shops dragging their feet are nothing new.

So today I get a frantic call to call "them" back. I call back and basically "they" were asking for payment which caught me off guard because I was pretty clear I wasn't paying for anything till they got it done, they had lost my trust a long time ago. It didn't really make much sense to me at that moment because that was the one thing that was clear to both parties. You'll be paid when you finish this and I get a perfectly running truck back. I refused to pay for an incomplete project that was going to require me to put money back into the truck to get it where it should be. After that he dropped the bomb on me that the owner took his life. He seemed like a good guy that maybe was just overwhelmed, but I guess in retrospect he was likely battling issues much greater and darker than a shop behind schedule or even underwater. I refuse to believe his motivations were financial in nature.

On the one hand it makes me feel like a jerk that I don't want to pay this bill, but on the other hand, I expected to get a fully working and complete truck back. Not pay a bill and get back a potential nightmare.

Here is where I have to figure out quick what to do.

* The warehouse storing the vehicles has given them 1 week to notify the owners and move the vehicles
* A family friend right now is running the business, but I don't know at what legal capacity. I think he's just helping, but the business is probably more or less bank owned. This person has talked about being from "the estate" but really I don't think he's in that legal capacity yet.
* They are attempting to collect outstanding debts from customers for vendors.
* My truck is incomplete and sitting at this location
* I believe this company will be put into bankruptcy by one or more of their vendors, at the very least by their landlord.

This makes things somewhat problematic for two reasons

* I am unsure my truck is even in still running condition. It is a GMC Syclone, so the engine\running gear are expensive. I have concerns that the truck isn't in the same running condition. I've been told to "send a check, then you can come pick it up."
* The project is in an unfinished state and it was agree'd upon that it would be finished
* There is now obviously no guarantee to the craftsmanship of the work

So I expected to be picking up a perfectly running, immaculately transformed truck for roughly what I'm being billed for, and instead am expected to pick up a truck of unknown running condition, incomplete and pay the bill and never look back. With literally "parts in the bed."

I'm wondering what the legalities are here if this company gets put into bankruptcy, if they even have an ability to enforce a mechanic's lien without first completing the project etc. Or if I can just show up with a police officer and demand my vehicle back. I honestly just want my truck back and don't want to deal with the situation anymore. It couldn't possibly be more messed up than it is right now.

It is my understanding a mechanic's lien would only apply if I had signed a written estimate and they had completed my vehicle. They have neither. I dropped of my truck with the expectation that this was a shop that was capable enough to "just get it done." That proved not to be the case, but for reasons outside of everyone's control.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a tough one.

I'd learn how to work on them myself if I had your luck lol

Sub'd.

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
This all sounds sorta fishy.

I was a little concerned at first, but confirmed with a posted funeral and family facebooks. I mean I guess it's certainly possible it's some elaborate ruse and this will be on forensic files some day, but until then I can only assume he is very dead and there is right now an attempt to save this business, which I don't believe will be successful.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What shop is it? I live in Wisconsin and might be able to ask around with some people I know to see what is really going on...

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
What shop is it? I live in Wisconsin and might be able to ask around with some people I know to see what is really going on...

I don't want to mention the shop. I am in no position to be announcing news like this for the family, they've kept it pretty low key from what I've seen. It would be a travesty to see this result in Google associated with the owner's name or shop. Which will in short order be a distant memory.

What's "really" going on is very clear, the owner of the shop took his life. I just need to know what my legal standings are here before I get this all handled.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't want to mention the shop. I am in no position to be announcing news like this for the family, they've kept it pretty low key from what I've seen. It would be a travesty to see this result in Google associated with the owner's name or shop. Which will in short order be a distant memory.

What's "really" going on is very clear, the owner of the shop took his life. I just need to know what my legal standings are here before I get this all handled.

PM the name of the shop. You asked for help, he's trying to help.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Contact an attorney that specializes in property law right away.

It sounds like whoever is running the show now doesn't know what they are doing and is just trying to get out of a bad situation as quickly as possible.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

sounds like you need to consult with an attorney. its a pretty unusual situation that probably no one here has encountered before. and can get sticky. it definitely sucks and id hate to be in your shoes

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

No problem, I understand you hesitation to announce the name of the shop. Sounds like a bad situation all the way around.

As others have said, I would get the truck back, one way or another, ASAP.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Contact an attorney that specializes in property law right away.

It sounds like whoever is running the show now doesn't know what they are doing and is just trying to get out of a bad situation as quickly as possible.

This is the only LEGAL advice. If you want to do the illegal thing just go over with ten big guys and a flatbed and TAKE your truck back. By force.

I actually did do exactly this when a Korean media firm rented some video gear (about 100K worth) and refused to pay the rent AND refused to return it.

They said go ahead and take us to court. Not my style. Went over to their edit suites late at night when I knew a show was being edited.

When they answered the door we all pushed our way in, ejected tapes from my gear, unhooked everything and loaded it into a van and drove away.

I also grabbed a piece of their gear that would cover the rental costs.

We drove a few blocks away to where all our cars were parked, emptied the van into the cars, and drove home. Never heard anything from them ever again.

Except I notified every other rental agent in town to NEVER do business with them.

Good luck getting your truck back legally. But it may require a more "creative" method of asset recovery. Maybe you should hire a Repo agent to recover the asset.

cj428mach

Established Member
I think I'd offer to pay some sort of discounted rate because the truck isn't being delivered per your agreement (completely finished). Then get a receipt saying its paid for and clear then consider yourself lucky to be out. If you get a lawyer involved it'll probably cost less than getting your vehicle back in less than the condition you were hoping for.

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
This is the only LEGAL advice. If you want to do the illegal thing just go over with ten big guys and a flatbed and TAKE your truck back. By force.

I actually did do exactly this when a Korean media firm rented some video gear (about 100K worth) and refused to pay the rent AND refused to return it.

They said go ahead and take us to court. Not my style. Went over to their edit suites late at night when I knew a show was being edited.

When they answered the door we all pushed our way in, ejected tapes from my gear, unhooked everything and loaded it into a van and drove away.

We drove a few blocks away to where all our cars were parked, emptied the van into the cars, and drove home. Never heard anything from them ever again.

Except I notified every other rental agent in town to NEVER do business with them.

Good luck getting your truck back legally. But it may require a more "creative" method of asset recovery. Maybe you should hire a Repo agent to recover the asset.

The truck is insured so I'm not worried about "losing" it. But I understand the concern. I just want to make the right decision given the circumstances and a lawyer is probably the best bet. I just thought maybe some people in here did have some experience or insight into the issue.

Last edited:

Formula93

Established Member
I'm curious, what could be done with your insurance if you didn't get it back? Serious question. You couldn't really report it stolen I don't think.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member

Again not the legal way, but this would be my method like today!

I'd contact a lawyer...as I arranged for a flatbed and a couple friends to help carry parts (if it's in pieces). Sucks that it happened, but it's not your problem the owner off'd himself and the estate wants all their money for unfinished work. Tell them to send you a bill for the work they actually completed, nothing more.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
Pretty simple the family is going to post a legal notice for all debts to be paid and all claims be made against the estate and any one missing the notice in the whatever paper will lose. Get your car out with the local law enforcement assistance prove you won it take it. If they have documentation as to your debt you are obligated to pay at some point if not you don't. If you don't then you can lose your stuff legally and insurance will tell you to pound sand. simple been there done this move quick or loose big. Get your stuff now!

Users who are viewing this thread