Venison Recipes

tdschst

Established Member
So I'm finally getting the meat from my first deer and was interested in what recipes you guys use. I've cooked deer once before (neck roast) and basically did it the same way as a corned beef roast. I'm getting steaks, butterflied chops, roasts, hamburger, summer sausage mixed with cheddar cheese, and snack sticks with pepperjack.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Try making some stew and chili with it. Hell maybe go for some kebobs as well.

-Eric

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You can prepare and cook it like you would any lean beef in my experience.

Salt and pepper then sear on the grill for some amazing steaks. You can throw some in a chili or a stew and turn out awesome. Or cut it up and bread it to fry steak finger like pieces.

Pretty hard to screw up venison! It always tastes amazing!!

mustanginky

Established Member
i'm in my first year cooking with venison, i've eaten it before when i was younger but always my step-mom cooking the deer i killed.

i shot a nice little button buck earlier this year (thought it was a doe) and came home that night and had butterfly cut backstrap steak.

to make the steak, i made a marinade with garlic, salt, little bit of pepper, mustard, worscestisire (sp?) sauce, soy, etc...basically to make the steak do whatever you'd usually do.

to make a roast, get a crock pot, your roast, garlic, onion, cream of mushroom/chicken, potato's, carrots, etc...

i also ground up about 4 lbs of scrap for burger/chili and may make some jerky as i got a dehydrator for christmas. this was my first year doing it all myself instead of having someone process it.

the steaks were delicious. i have deer meet on the menu 4x this week :)

tdschst

Established Member
Yeah I've eaten quite a few times before but have only cooked it once. I've read recipes online that talk about putting it in milk overnight to tenderize it, anyone ever do this?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Yeah I've eaten quite a few times before but have only cooked it once. I've read recipes online that talk about putting it in milk overnight to tenderize it, anyone ever do this?

I heard to do that to make it taste less gamey. We got some venison as a Christmas present this year, so I'm curious to the same...I made a kick ass chili out of the ground meat, but still have to figure out what to do with the rump roast and the steak we got.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
We use ground venison a lot in place of beef, I have a venison meat loaf in the fridge now. I also like to wrap a piece of backstrap with bacon and toss it on the charcoal grill. Woooooo weeee

Driver500

Established Member
Cut it into strips about 1.5" wide and 4" long. Mix up cream cheese with green onion and place a dollop of the cream cheese mixture in each strip. Wrap each one with 1/2 a strip of thin bacon. Pin it with toothpicks soaked in water and fire up the grill.

Enjoy

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I heard to do that to make it taste less gamey. We got some venison as a Christmas present this year, so I'm curious to the same...I made a kick ass chili out of the ground meat, but still have to figure out what to do with the rump roast and the steak we got.

I've had guys bring in pulled deer meat to work and pass it off as pork, then brag about how great it tastes.

To ME, that is the absolute wrong approach. If you cant stand the "gamey" taste then dont bother with venison at all. I understand taking the edge off, but dont try to completely season it out. I've heard of soaking it in milk as well just to tenderize as well.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
We have deer all the time, any recipe that calls for meat of any kind, gets venison. Had veison meatloaf for dinner tonight. :beer:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
my family has always prepared our own meat.. (butchering venison) so the way we cook it is probably different than a butcher shop prepared venison..

ham/shoulder steaks are sliced very thin, about 3/8", so just pan fry it.. etc

try03venom

Established Member
if you want perfect steaks everytime get a cast iron skillet medium/high heat get it hot then table spoon of oil for 30 sec put steak on for 4min flip it 3min for med rare!

bright blue

Established Member
With the back straps, you can do two things, both are good, depending on what you like.

First thing, fry it in flour. No way to go wrong, just don't over cook it.

Second and my personal favorite, cut the backstrap into butterfly chops, about 3/4" thick each side. Then take and open the butterfly up, and wrap it in bacon, keep the bacon in place with toothpicks. Next, salt and pepper it, along with putting some of your favorite seasoning on it, I use grill mates montreal steak. Place it in a container and fill with olive oil, place in refrigerator and let soak for 12 hours or more. Take out of olive oil, add a dash of salt, pepper and seasoning, then place on grill and cook to medium well, don't over cook it, but I'm not one that wants to eat a medium rare deer steak (even though I do with beef... weird.). Anywho, after desired cooking is reached, take out toothpicks, add some steak sauce and enjoy!

For roasts and shoulder meats, two words: DEER JERKY!!!!! Best recipe that I have created, I'm sure others do this too, but I am the first that I know of. LOL

Go to Kroger, get you a bottle of Allegro's Game Tame in the marinade isle. Mix that with some fresh cut jalapeno peppers, some black pepper and some hot sauce, seasoned to taste of course, some people like more fire than others. Cut your roast into THIN strips, and place in your marinade. Place in fridge for 24 hours MINIMUM!!!! Stirring occasionally. Then place in dehydrator, flipping pieces as needed, rotating trays and removing from dehydrator as pieces get done, don't over dehydrate, but if you do, you can place it in a plastic bag and seal it and the heat it generates will bring some moistness back.

Last edited:

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
A buddy of mine, when he grinds his venison, he adds in a pound of bacon per 4 pounds of deer. Brown a pound or 2, put it in a crockpot with a velveeta cheese brick and some salsa. Feast with some tostito scoops.
FFS, now I need some more of that shiot. /drool.

tdschst

Established Member
I definitely plan on making chili, that 2nd one you posted bright blue sounds delicious, gonna make that.Driver500 that sounds really good too, gonna try that also. Thanks for the help

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Cut it into strips about 1.5" wide and 4" long. Mix up cream cheese with green onion and place a dollop of the cream cheese mixture in each strip. Wrap each one with 1/2 a strip of thin bacon. Pin it with toothpicks soaked in water and fire up the grill.

Enjoy

We do the same but no green onion. Instead do it with jalapeno peppers cut the same size as the venison and put cream cheese on top of that then wrap in bacon. I make them with all kinds of different stuff in venison isnt around such as shrimp, steak, or even just with the cream cheese and jalapeno pepper wrapped in bacon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread