Viper or GT????

Dpres1

Every Man's Rival
Established Member
My little sister drives a Ram w/ a V10 and exhaust. it sounds like a......crap. I'd rather have the 5.4l DOHC V8 w/ twin superchargers for some reason.:shrug: That's a sound I would instantly become insanely in love w/ instead of one I would eventually learn to love. But, I'm completely biased and can not be trusted in a comparison like this.:p

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
I would go with the GT anyday! Any chance they'll put this bad boy up against the C5-R in the racing circuit? That would be bad ass!!!!!
I have to agree, the sound of the V-10 from the Viper is anything but muscle car like.
Since it was asked...the last I heard from Motor Trend (yeah I know they're not perfect) was the GT is going to be about $130,000 and produce 1,000 a year starting '04.

Snakester

Established Member
Despite the common myth, the V10 in the Ram trucks shares NO parts with the Viper motor, and certainly a truck exhaust is nothing to write home about, so I wouldn't judge the Viper from listening to a truck (unless it's the SRT-RAM).

Listen to the Corsa for the current Vipers. #3 and#4 samples do sound like mine does.
http://www.corsaperformance.com/ccflashviper.html
The SRT-10 has gone back to side exhausts. It definitely sounds different from a V8, but still sounds good. You can always bolt on a supercharger if you like the whine and boost noise added. ;)

I would be surprised if the GT(44) is NOT raced.
Although the journalists will compare it with the Corvette and Viper, the GT(44) needs to be run against some of the best cars that Europe has to offer at the track. The upcoming 420 Modena, the 500HP Lamborghini Gallardo, and the Porsche GT2.

Dpres1

Every Man's Rival
Established Member
I'm admittedly biased. I'll never like the sound of the viper more than the sweet sound of a V8. I'm sure I'm not alone on this. I'm not undermining the performance of the Viper, I just think it sounds like an import. Fast, flashy, farty.

Snakester

Established Member
Well, I've owned a Mustang and a Corvette, and I'll admit that I also love the sound of a V8. It's great!

A V10 (and V12) is definitely a different sound and feel compared to a V8. But the V10 can sound pretty menacing as well, and once I got the aftermaket exhaust, I have been very pleased with the Viper's roar.

Still, I do understand wanting that familiar V8 sound.

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by LLoverCrazyJay
Whoa whoa ****in whoa, what kind of damn sources you got saying the GT is 130K?? C mon? Waiting! :sleeping: :nonono:

Look it up on the net all sources are saying prices between $125k-$150k. $150K is on the high side but after markup it's quite possible.

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by LLoverCrazyJay
Are those "sources" The Ford Motor Company?

To quote the President of the Ford division. "The MSRP will "substantially less than $150,000." Looks like those sources are pretty accurate. If he is using $150k as a reference then those estimates sound pretty right on don't you think?

03CobraBro

Established Member
Substantially makes it sound like its going to hit a good deal under the 150 mark... He may have been refering to 150k as the popular rumor.

2000-S6

Established Member
just my opinion, but the GT is awful looking. i really admire ford for their aggressive product development, etc. however, it can't hold a candle to a viper as far as looks go. it's a nice car, don't get me wrong, but for the price and exclusivity, it should be as handsome as a lambo murcielago (pardon spelling)
jmo

Paul Vincent

Established Member
2000-S6, the Ford GT is app. a 40 year old design. It won LeMans repeatedly (the whole thing, not some lesser class). It is still the only American car to have done so. That you don't like its appearance doesn't matter. All that matters is that Ford is making it. By the way, I don't think that the (Honda), sorry my mistake, T.A. you drive looks like much compared to the third generation RX7 or many other cars. But that isn't the point; is it?

Last edited:

Evilcartman

Established Member
If it's anything like my car, a pulley swap and custom chip will make this thing blow away a Viper for less than $500. Of course, then we are talking about modded VS stock vehicle. But, what does it matter if you find a Viper on the street and you are modded.

Put a Kenny Bell on it and if it stays together, 700 HP should be easy.

Snakester

Established Member
I agree that like the SVT Cobra and Lightning, the Ford GT(44) will be easy to mod. But with it already tweaked to produce 500HP, it may be tougher to extract more power without sacrificing reliability.

But as far as practical mods, you could also spend $1000 and add a 200 shot of N20 to the Viper and put it into the 10s on street tires, of you could have Doug Levin add a supercharger and put out 1000HP for MUCH less than the cost of the Ford GT(44) so modding can apply there as well.

The Ford's biggest advantage will be it's lighter weight, if they can hit their 3000lb goal, combined with the 3.55 rear gears, it would be faster than the SRT-10 Viper with both cars bone stock.

But with dealer price gouging and speculators driving the price up for the first couple years, it's likey to cost as much as twice what the Viper does.

It's interesting that I think that the Murcielago and Enzo are awkward looking, and the Ford GT(44) looks beautiful to me.
But that's just personal preference. :coolman:

2000-S6

Established Member
paul vincent-
easy champ...don't get bent out of shape...
i admire the heritage of the gt-40, and that ford is going forward and being progressive with the gt. i just stated my opinion that the look of the gt sucks, that's all.
i'm sorry you don't like my ta..i do., and i love cobra's too. (i owned my 98 cobra until i got the ta)

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by 2000-S6
just my opinion, but the GT is awful looking. i really admire ford for their aggressive product development, etc. however, it can't hold a candle to a viper as far as looks go. it's a nice car, don't get me wrong, but for the price and exclusivity, it should be as handsome as a lambo murcielago (pardon spelling)
jmo

Amen to that! I wouldn't go as far as saying it looks awful but it doesn't look as good to me as the Viper (or anything in it's price range).

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by Evilcartman
If it's anything like my car, a pulley swap and custom chip will make this thing blow away a Viper for less than $500. Of course, then we are talking about modded VS stock vehicle. But, what does it matter if you find a Viper on the street and you are modded.

Put a Kenny Bell on it and if it stays together, 700 HP should be easy.

Not to sound like an ass but you would still be driving a Mustang. There was an argument in the kill section with this guy and a 350-400HP Sentra! You see what i'm getting at. Sentra - Mustang (so what if it's faster it's still a Sentra). Mustang - Viper (Modded faster but still a Mustang although not nearly as bad as a Sentra).

love bandit2

Established Member
In my opinion Dodge ruined the look of the viper with the new model. I really liked the looks of the earlier models, but the new one just doesn't look right to me. Besides, theres many 'o' rich guys that live around me that have vipers, and I've gotten used to seeing them. The GT would definitely turn heads no matter where you drove it. Thats real important to me... its why I bought an SVT Cobra over a Camaro Z28... You see hundreds of Camaro Z28's, Trans-Ams and Mustang GT's every week and never think twice until you see a Cobra. Everybody and their dad has a corvette these days; do you look in your rear view mirror when one passes from the opposite direction? I know vipers aren't that common, but I'd like to have a special car that people can't help but observe and admire when they see it. Thats why I'd choose the GT.

I just picked up my unit ,a S-281 Cobra,2003 from saleen,Red-Fire,also autographed By Steve Saleen,& John Coletti. Its a fablous car.I would consider sellig it, but on to purchase a Ford GT.That will be an awsome car from my perspective view.I spoke tp Ciener/Woods in North-Carolina,to Mr. Ed Woods,& he told me he allready has 8 sold & has 3 left he will beable to sell.I would love to get one,but like i said i would have to sell my S-281 Cobra.It has under a 1000 miles.so if any-one would be interested you can E-Mail me at.SVTISTRYKEA @aol.com or phone me at]337-988-0799\day or night,oh also Mr. John Coletti autographed it also.I also have official documents from Steve Saleen & John Coletti stipulating that they autographed it with Vin.#s on both Documents. Lets talk! Randy Fontenot

Users who are viewing this thread