Votes: 188 46.2%
  • GT500

Votes: 219 53.8%

• Total voters

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
gonein60 said:
GT500 hands down. The Viper just doesn't seem that attractive to me. It has to have ten cylinders just to get 500HP, and it's overpriced. The V8 motor is authentic American Muscle, and the GT500 looks way more 60's muscle and aggressive than the V10 Viper. The Viper is for rich businessmen who are trying to re-live their youth, it's to corporate for me. The GT500 is an affordable car that has about the same power as a Viper at a fraction of the cost.

There's no arguement, V8 cars are the best, and the GT500 has soul, the Viper just has a lopy V10 and is way out of the price range for most people.

Later :pepper:

I love the Viper, the engine sounds like a truck motor.
GT500 hands down, but the Viper is still nice.

ndfrspd03cobra

R1Lello said:
:lol:

Some of the above comments made me laugh. Yes, I'll admit, the Viper def'ly has the 'wow' factor and I love them so not bashing, and I'll tell you up front I do have a deposit on the 07 Gt500 but:

Some of you would pay $52-$55 u.s. for a 96-97 Viper?? Doubt it...........they can ask all they want in their ads but do they get that much??? A car is only worth what people are willing to pay and that's fact. C'mon folks, it's so overpriced for a 8-9 year old car with (compared to todays cars, little technology) and no warranty but.....it's a Viper right?

You also have to consider what your plans are with the car, if you plan to mod, the aftermarket has taken so strongly to the Mustang for years and years now, even stronger with this new body style so if you need parts or mods to go fast it is cheaper by a long shot. You will be able to do so much for so much less $$ with this stang to do circles around a Viper and out accelerate a Viper with ease. But is it a Viper??? No.........so you decide

Mid 11's new Viper?? I'm not so sure, high 11's with good drivers more real but for $125,000 canadian, it better. By the way, the 96-97 to 2002 with 450 hp.........low 12's at best with a great driver. Now start modding and see who is king for little money. (hint........not the Viper)

I said it before, and I'll say it again.........wait 'til people start modding that 07 Shelby........then we'll see. Geez, the mags are already running mid 12's with little mods on the 05 GT, and easy 11's with a blower kit on stock 05's with just over 400 hp.

Again, I'm not bashing the Viper, actually like them but sit back and think and take a financial course 101 and decide.

The fact the vipers have lower production numbers and the fact that someone else ate all the depreciation for the car.Coupled with the fact that the wonderful new mustang gt500 will have higher productions numbers and will likley devalue.I'm going to jam my 50k into a yucky old viper gts.I'm sick of losing money on cars.Cars that depreciate ,I have no time for anymore.I have about 14-15 working years left and I'm going to start hanging on to my money.It's tough finding something that isn't going south.

mrGT

Established Member
Vipers are pretty sharp, but I know nothing about them as I've spent all my time in Mustangland. But I'm curious as to what Viper you can get for $50K today? I did a little surfing and found that the base MSRP for a 2006 is in the $85-87 range, according to Kelly and they gave the retail on a 2002 Viper in excellent condition to be $52K (that probably had an MSRP of in the $72-75K range) and a 2000 Viper in excellent condition was gien at $41.5K.....which would indicate that the Viper is depreciating around $6+K/yr.

Since the Shelby is just coming out, there is no data, but I expect it will depreciate in a similar manner.

The Viper looks sharp, so enjoy the ride!!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
mrGT said:
Vipers are pretty sharp, but I know nothing about them as I've spent all my time in Mustangland. But I'm curious as to what Viper you can get for $50K today? I did a little surfing and found that the base MSRP for a 2006 is in the $85-87 range, according to Kelly and they gave the retail on a 2002 Viper in excellent condition to be $52K (that probably had an MSRP of in the $72-75K range) and a 2000 Viper in excellent condition was gien at $41.5K.....which would indicate that the Viper is depreciating around $6+K/yr.

Since the Shelby is just coming out, there is no data, but I expect it will depreciate in a similar manner.

The Viper looks sharp, so enjoy the ride!!

Do NOT use Kelly BB as a reference. It's completely off for any kind of sports car. GTS vipers vary greatly in terms of price. A '97-'98 Red GTS can be found for low-mid 40's, depending on mileage. These are sometimes thought of as the "less" desirable of the GTS models, mainly becasue of the color. A '96-'97 B/W GTS on the other hand, can easily go for 55k+, depending on mileage. Those are to many, the most collectable of the GTS years. The even sell for more than some 2000+ model year ones.

The GTS prices have really leveled off, and in some instances gone up a bit, espeacially after the Gen III came out and alienated some of the viper faithful. A mint viper will always fetch a good price.

If you are going to compare collectability between the GT500 and the GTS, don't. Let's face it,as cool as the GT500 is, it will never even be close in terms of collectability to the viper. They just make too many mustangs compared to vipers and I'm in no way putting down the mustang. It's just they sell 250,000 a year and the GT500 is just a fancy version of the V6's that you see everywhere.

Again, not hating on the stang :thumbsup:

Last edited:

mrGT

Established Member
GTSpartan,

THANKS for your insight. I can rationalize when it comes to collectables, Kelly isn't the the right place to look....but it was available. When it comes to collectables, it's all in what a person is willing to pay. With such a low production number, is the Viper going for MSRP? If it's going to be a collectable, I invision the dealers wanting more than sticker. But I'm not a collector, I'm an enjoyer.....and I'm going to enjoy a GT500 someday.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
mrGT said:
GTSpartan,

THANKS for your insight. I can rationalize when it comes to collectables, Kelly isn't the the right place to look....but it was available. When it comes to collectables, it's all in what a person is willing to pay. With such a low production number, is the Viper going for MSRP? If it's going to be a collectable, I invision the dealers wanting more than sticker. But I'm not a collector, I'm an enjoyer.....and I'm going to enjoy a GT500 someday.

They made too many Gen III SRT10 and they seem to sit on the lots for a while. Most of the Gen II's were sold before they were even built. I can remember when I was a kid and going with my father to order a '93 R/T 10. He had to order it more than a year before it was built. Same thing with the '96 GTS that he ordered (which I own now).

venams03

Established Member
I found some '02 Vipers going for around 40-50K. That's what I'll be considering if I'm not pleased with what's unveiled in Detroit. Even if they hit the mark with the GT500, there's the price gouging by the idiot dealers, so that will also steer me back into something else.

Not that I don't have the money either 'cause it's sitting in the bank: next car, cash only purchase which is the only way I buy cars now. Screw the banks. I completely agree with REDHOT916; I'm going to try and hang onto my hard earned money instead of buying quickly depreciating models.

turfman

Established Member
How many people have ridden in or driven a Viper? I didn't know what was so special about Vipers until I rode in a friend's lightly modded '98GTS. The acceleration was brutal, and the sound was plain wicked. I like my Cobra, but it's a no brainer-Viper.
BTW-was that Venom 550 on ebay?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Machinator said:
Hands down choice is the GT 500, the new viper looks like CRAP. Add a smaller pulley and exhaust on the new GT500 and you'll smoke a viper.

Mod the viper and we all know what would happen :beer: .

chuckstang

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Mod the viper and we all know what would happen :beer: .

yes we do. the viper still loses lol. at least nine times outa 10 they do :banana:
"pound for pound" the 03/04 cobras wooped up on the vipers, sorry dude. I luv the viper but the cobra goes faster for a lot less money.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
chuckstang said:
yes we do. the viper still loses lol. at least nine times outa 10 they do :banana:
"pound for pound" the 03/04 cobras wooped up on the vipers, sorry dude. I luv the viper but the cobra goes faster for a lot less money.

I couldn't care less if you only need to spend 500 bucks to make 500 hp, a equally modded viper will kill a cobra. I've got tons of video of it. Most of the cobra beating viper vids are exhaust/intake with maybe 20 more hp than stock. No surprise :thumbsup: In the modding game, money rules :)

Let's not get started on the $$$$$$$$$ arguement again, it's really lame.

chuckstang

Established Member
well the $$$$$$$$$ argument as much as people hate it is just life, cause lets face how many vipers out there on the street have the money to put a big blower or turbo on it?????
Now compare that to how many 500plus rwhp cobras there are around and well you see my point. Of course there is always someone faster, but there are more faster cobras then there are vipers. if you get what i mean.
I still hold to 9/10 times if any 03/04 cobra pulls up to any year viper, assuming both are modded however they like, the cobra will win because there are alot more modded cobras then vipers.
its an unfair world out there lol im just messin with ya, vipers are sweet but the 03/04 brought unheard of power to the masses.
yours would prob be that 1 that may win ;-)

Last edited:

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Bone stock (w/ Great Drivers) GTS Coupes ran 11.9's in the Qtr... Bone Stock... with Evan Smith... Cobra's don't run 11's!

Yes... mod away... and the Cobra's are fast cars!!! But, I think it is a bit naive to think 9 out of 10 will go the Cobra's way... you think that many people mod them?? Doubtful...

And since the GTS runs 119-120+ in the quarter (Stock)... most races that continue on... the Cobra will get dusted...

Come on guys... the Viper's were $75K for a reason... they are SMOKING FAST, and do just about everything well...

Just for the record... The '97 GTS Coupe I raced back in '98, w/ just exhaust, and an airbox, and pulley ran 11.5's @ 125 mph... (On BFG R1 D.O.T. Road Race Tires).

The cars are for completely different purposes... and both are great.

(wasn't this thread about GT500 vs. Viper??? Not the '03-'04's?)

Peace!

Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread