Virtual Dyno by Brad Barnhill

bbarnhill

Established Member
Id be willing to guess here that there is something else causing that 1000+ hp spike. Lower your smoothing and you will see the spike start to show up. You can use smoothing 0 to see a really rough graph and spot spikes.

It doesnt do anything differently over 5000 rpm so if its accurate below it will be accurate above. The Evo guys and Subaru guys have already done this compare and contrast with dynojet plots. They are all big believers now. Time to make believers out of you guys.

If there is no clutch slipping, or wheel spin then it will be accurate. Ill be willing to closely inspect the raw data if you have it to make sure though. Ill need a log.

bbarnhill

Established Member
Figured out the a/f, but no way my upper only 03 makes this much.
VirtualDyno.jpg

You have two large humps there ... gotta spot abnormal looking runs. Same thing on a dyno if you have wheel spin.

I will say that I have an SCT tuner here now. I just need a pulley removal tool to get my pulley and CAI and tune in. Been looking around the forums for one for sale but havent found one to buy or rent yet. Ill be patient. After I get it in Im going to make some logs and post my results.

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
Id be willing to guess here that there is something else causing that 1000+ hp spike. Lower your smoothing and you will see the spike start to show up. You can use smoothing 0 to see a really rough graph and spot spikes.

It doesnt do anything differently over 5000 rpm so if its accurate below it will be accurate above. The Evo guys and Subaru guys have already done this compare and contrast with dynojet plots. They are all big believers now. Time to make believers out of you guys.

If there is no clutch slipping, or wheel spin then it will be accurate. Ill be willing to closely inspect the raw data if you have it to make sure though. Ill need a log.

I see what your talking about. Looked back at the log and put the graph on smoothing 2 and everywhere there was a spike in the dyno there was a small spike in rpm. Looks like where the tires were spinning just a little to make the rpms jump 150 or so then gained traction and brought the rpms back down and so on. Down low the rpms are pretty smooth with hardly any spikes in rpm where I said it seems pretty accurate. I'll try and get a good log with no spikes in rpm and report back.

bbarnhill

Established Member
I see what your talking about. Looked back at the log and put the graph on smoothing 2 and everywhere there was a spike in the dyno there was a small spike in rpm. Looks like where the tires were spinning just a little to make the rpms jump 150 or so then gained traction and brought the rpms back down and so on. Down low the rpms are pretty smooth with hardly any spikes in rpm where I said it seems pretty accurate. I'll try and get a good log with no spikes in rpm and report back.

Awesome!!! Glad you did some investigation. Ive been on some forums where the members just procede to attack me for suggesting that :)

Im here to help if you need me. Let me know if I can take a look at something or offer guidance in the use of VD. I check this forum pretty often so just keep me posted as Im interested to see a fellow mustang owner use it. It hasnt taken off in the Ford world like it has in the Evo and Subaru communities yet. Key word there is YET. Once people see it for what it is ... they will love it. I have no doubt.

stang910

Established Member
I did a 4th gear pull and the graph looks much better. I'm not sure what kinda power I'm putting down, but the graph seems pretty close. I have a Paxton on 12psi, CAI, and O/R-X so mid to upper 600's sounds pretty legit. Also the torque curve is pretty close to my last run on an actual dyno which was on 7 psi.

dyno4th.gif

stang910

Established Member
RPM and tp2_voltage. Timestamp will be the third pid you need to input. Make sure you use the underscore for the tps when configuring the graph.

bbarnhill

Established Member
what are you guys logging with? Just curious .... if there are fields that aren't supported by default let me know and Ill add them to the loggers default columns so you don't have to configure it.

stang910

Established Member
I'm logging with SCT and I'm sure most others with mustangs will be using the same.

bbarnhill

Established Member
Hey guys I havent tested a lot with the mustang platforms so let me know if you find any anomalies. I think it should be solid. I dont know if the Mach 1 is supported but if not let me know and Ill be glad to post what I have to have to support a car and I can push an update out the same day you supply the info.

Glad to be a part of the community here. I swapped my Evo X for a GT500 not too long ago so I have a vested interest in this community now. I check this often so keep the feedback coming.

stang910

Established Member
I finally got put on the dyno and my dyno sheet almost matches the Virtual Dyno. I had to move my weight up to 3900, but I can buy that. Photobucket is acting up right now, but I'll post the two graphs whenever it comes back up.

Last edited:

Kirk01

Established Member
I'd be interested in trying this out, but it doesn't support 99-01 cobra's. What do you need in order to make it available to us?

stang910

Established Member
All you need to datalog in livelink is rpm and tps. Then configure VD to read the names of your PID's. I'm sure everyone will have to manually input their PID's cause even between processor codes the name of the PID's can change and VD won't recognise the datalog your trying to load.

Users who are viewing this thread