VMP Intercooler Update (NOTE: Not the heat exchanger)

guevoncito

Established Member
Hi All,
Copying this over from the other GT500 forum. Has anyone gone with the VMP intercooler upgrade for their 13/14 GT500?

It looks to have the enlarged inlet and outlet openings to 1 inch from stock 3/4 inch. This should allow for increased flow through entire cooling system if the 1 inch tubing is also updated for the other IC components (pump, HE). It looks like the floating tubes are also available with a larger opening vs stock.

I have seen a few discussions about similar mods to increase flow, but I haven't seen this mentioned as an option.

So, curious is if anyone has done this instead of the J2Fab modification, and can share any details?

Thanks!

Stangra

Established Member
Hi All,
Copying this over from the other GT500 forum. Has anyone gone with the VMP intercooler upgrade for their 13/14 GT500?

It looks to have the enlarged inlet and outlet openings to 1 inch from stock 3/4 inch. This should allow for increased flow through entire cooling system if the 1 inch tubing is also updated for the other IC components (pump, HE). It looks like the floating tubes are also available with a larger opening vs stock.

I have seen a few discussions about similar mods to increase flow, but I haven't seen this mentioned as an option.

So, curious is if anyone has done this instead of the J2Fab modification, and can share any details?

Thanks!
I installed the VMP 1" intercooler on my 2014 GT. While not a GT500, I can speak about the VMP upgrade in general. Installed along with Dept of Boost Titanic H/E & POWA pump and plumbed with -20 aluminum tubing and hose, the results were outstanding for controlling heat during road course events with 20 min of repeated WOT-brake-WOT cycles. No IAT before/after comparisons but definitely has some stamina!

As for J2Fab, BEWARE! There are plenty of folks out there with stories like mine, in fact I just heard from a guy today that's been waiting for way over a year for his.

guevoncito

Established Member
I installed the VMP 1" intercooler on my 2014 GT. While not a GT500, I can speak about the VMP upgrade in general. Installed along with Dept of Boost Titanic H/E & POWA pump and plumbed with -20 aluminum tubing and hose, the results were outstanding for controlling heat during road course events with 20 min of repeated WOT-brake-WOT cycles. No IAT before/after comparisons but definitely has some stamina!

As for J2Fab, BEWARE! There are plenty of folks out there with stories like mine, in fact I just heard from a guy today that's been waiting for way over a year for his.

Thanks for the reply and validation of the VMP solution. A while back, I read through your thread about the J2Fab experience and it made me reconsider my original direction. I'm thinking of the VMP IC with the larger openings and the 1 inch water manifold, a half-moon tank in the trunk, Stewart EMP pump, and 1 inch lines everywhere including the HE. In my case, I'm heat soaked after a few pulls. I have a 2013 GT500 and a 4L Whipple. Lots of boost with just the stock IC pump and the VMP Triple Pass HE. Plus I'm in Houston,TX and we normally just have spring and summer weather. Definitely a lot of room for improvement.

guevoncito

Established Member
Just a question. Could a person use a Dept Of Boost H/E in lieu of a J2Fab?
and @guevoncito what fuel are you running? Sounds fun
I'm running E85 with a Fore dual pump fuel system. Car is pushing 24# of boost.

My goal is to increase flow/capacity into the IC/HE system with some flexibility to intervene with ice as needed. After reading everyone else's experiences and what has worked, this seems like the best path to follow. I'm looking for a somewhat simple solution that doesn't depend on questionable availability/support of products and services.

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
Hi All,

Thanks!
I just bought the same thing with the 1" size,and i got the heat exchanger as well.I wont know how it is until next year.I have heard nothing but great things about them.

guevoncito

Established Member
I just bought the same thing with the 1" size,and i got the heat exchanger as well.I wont know how it is until next year.I have heard nothing but great things about them.
Will be very interested to see how things go for you. I'm not sure when I'll do my changes. Maybe in phases based on $$$ and how much I'll do on my own. Pricing all of the parts gets a little crazy when you look at everything together. Yikes.

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
Will be very interested to see how things go for you. I'm not sure when I'll do my changes. Maybe in phases based on $$$ and how much I'll do on my own. Pricing all of the parts gets a little crazy when you look at everything together. Yikes.
Yea the prices are crazy for certain things.My road and track box that im getting from Maximum Motorsports is 4K

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea the prices are crazy for certain things.My road and track box that im getting from Maximum Motorsports is 4K
Did you install MM road and track box kit yet @Cobra Therapy ? That is a really nice set up!! Im considering installing that on the SS or atleast the K member. Did you get the option K member with it as well? Im going to try and get SAI to do the anti hop upgrade this fall and the K member. If they wont its going to Watson racing for the upgrades!

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
Did you install MM road and track box kit yet @Cobra Therapy ? That is a really nice set up!! Im considering installing that on the SS or atleast the K member. Did you get the option K member with it as well? Im going to try and get SAI to do the anti hop upgrade this fall and the K member. If they wont its going to Watson racing for the upgrades!
Whats up,no its not on yet.I think i will get it in the next few weeks or so.I did get the K member as well.Its being set up for track racing.Road america i think is like 3 hours from me.They have a long stretch thats over a mile,so i should be able to do 170-180 easy.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
As far as I know VMP is the only source for a 1" inlet and outlet in an off-the-shelf intercooler. J2 is still performing their flow mod on stock intercoolers but the price has gone up. The VMP unit also needs their 1" water manifold to work with their intercooler which will double the cost of the flow mod, which includes the manifold. J2 got in over their head a couple years ago when they attempted to build intercoolers and got jambed up with their supplier's poor quality and ineffective separator design. J2 had to engineer a fix and modify every intercooler they purchased to correct the problem. It took me almost a year to get mine, but I think the man made good on all his intercoolers. After I got mine, I quit following the drama. But he was his own worst enemy in the communication department. Kenne Bell had a large intercooler at one time, but the transfer tubes were still in the 3/4" configuration. I don't know the status of those at present and J2 performed the flow mod on these as well. If you want an effective intercooler, the 1" system is pretty much a minimum requirement and a HD proven pump to move the coolant.

guevoncito

Established Member
As far as I know VMP is the only source for a 1" inlet and outlet in an off-the-shelf intercooler. J2 is still performing their flow mod on stock intercoolers but the price has gone up. The VMP unit also needs their 1" water manifold to work with their intercooler which will double the cost of the flow mod, which includes the manifold. J2 got in over their head a couple years ago when they attempted to build intercoolers and got jambed up with their supplier's poor quality and ineffective separator design. J2 had to engineer a fix and modify every intercooler they purchased to correct the problem. It took me almost a year to get mine, but I think the man made good on all his intercoolers. After I got mine, I quit following the drama. But he was his own worst enemy in the communication department. Kenne Bell had a large intercooler at one time, but the transfer tubes were still in the 3/4" configuration. I don't know the status of those at present and J2 performed the flow mod on these as well. If you want an effective intercooler, the 1" system is pretty much a minimum requirement and a HD proven pump to move the coolant.
I'm doing my updates in phases now. I installed my DOB Titanic heat exchanger about 2 months back. Next on the list is an IC pump upgrade. Then the IC brick if needed. Each iteration I'm looking at IAT2 impact and other data points. With my Titanic HE install, I have a fluid temperature sensor after the HE, and a flow sensor just before entering the IC brick. These data points should help me zero in on better IAT2 management. The DOB Titanic HE really improves on the recovery time. And because it's so huge, the radiator fan actually pulls air through it and will hold a paper to the front. This is without boxing anything in like some others have done to force more air over the HE fins.

Poisonous West

Established Member
Catmonkey is corrected - VMP is the only source for a 1" inlet and outlet in an off-the-shelf intercooler.

I have the KB Bigun I/C and sent to J2Fab performed the 1" mod on the KB I/C along with some 1-off custom designed and 3D printed water tube. The IAT2 results is very very good - IAT-1 is at 93 degree and IAT-2 is at 104 degree at the end of the pull @ 6500RPM at 21 ~ 22 psi. And I am still using the original VMP double pass H/E. VMP sold the double pass H/E way back then they upgrade to the current triple pass H/E.

Here is my honest feedback. Just save yourself the $1000 new VMP / KB intercooler money and just reuse the OEM I/C and have J2Fab do the 1" flow mod. The OEM water manifold actually has (6) SHARP 90 degree turns - 3 for inlet & 3 for outlet. Each sharp 90 degree turn would reduce the water flow efficiency. In addition, the 13/14 pump location creates another 180 degree turn (2 - 90 degree turns). There are TON of losses going thru these (total of 8) SHARP 90 degree turns in the water routings.

I just received my revise design upper I/C outlet 1-piece 3D printed tube 2 days ago. Combine with my current 1-piece lower I/C inlet tube and turn the 13/14 I/C pump 180 degree. I eliminate all the sharp 90 degree turns in the water routings.

Current routings
1679715114494.png

1679715264585.png

1679715352280.png

1679715189697.png

My newly revised 1-piece upper I/C water outlet tube instead of 3-piece design
1679715471651.png

guevoncito

Established Member
Catmonkey is corrected - VMP is the only source for a 1" inlet and outlet in an off-the-shelf intercooler.

I have the KB Bigun I/C and sent to J2Fab performed the 1" mod on the KB I/C along with some 1-off custom designed and 3D printed water tube. The IAT2 results is very very good - IAT-1 is at 93 degree and IAT-2 is at 104 degree at the end of the pull @ 6500RPM at 21 ~ 22 psi. And I am still using the original VMP double pass H/E. VMP sold the double pass H/E way back then they upgrade to the current triple pass H/E.

Here is my honest feedback. Just save yourself the $1000 new VMP / KB intercooler money and just reuse the OEM I/C and have J2Fab do the 1" flow mod. The OEM water manifold actually has (6) SHARP 90 degree turns - 3 for inlet & 3 for outlet. Each sharp 90 degree turn would reduce the water flow efficiency. In addition, the 13/14 pump location creates another 180 degree turn (2 - 90 degree turns). There are TON of losses going thru these (total of 8) SHARP 90 degree turns in the water routings.

I just received my revise design upper I/C outlet 1-piece 3D printed tube 2 days ago. Combine with my current 1-piece lower I/C inlet tube and turn the 13/14 I/C pump 180 degree. I eliminate all the sharp 90 degree turns in the water routings.
Thanks for the info. All good things to consider. After my IC pump update I'm pretty sure I'll still want to milk some more flow out of my system. So, the IC brick will be the last item on the list. Hopefully enough time will pass for some decent data points to surface about the VMP solution. Jason from DOB has some good flow info from his testing of different pumps, hose diameters, and stock IC vs J2Fab modded IC. I'm a little hesitant to jump for the J2Fab solution given some of the turnaround times that have been reported. But maybe after some more time has passed, things will be more normalized. I know there are plenty of folks happy with the solution. Great info on the 90 deg turns. This is a flow killer. In my current setup, I have a flow sensor installed. I measured my IC system flow between 7.5 to 8 Gal/Min. This is with the stock IC pump, Titanic HE with 1.25 inch lines through most of the system. The only place without 1.25 inch lines is the IC manifold itself and the return line to the stock pump. With the flow sensor in place, I can see the flow impact for introducing or eliminating bends, new pump, IC update, etc... I prototyped a little device to bring the flow sensor signal into my Aeroforce gauge. Just finishing this up with a wiring harness now.

Users who are viewing this thread