VMP Triple Pass-Dual Fan Heat Exchanger

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Not to mention half of the heat exchanger is behind the front bumper, so only half of the heat exchanger is getting any air flow at speed.

HighTorque

Established Member
i have no data logs, but i do know what i observed in my car (pre-upgrade) over the past few years and what i see now (post-upgrade). As reported previously in this thread, coolant temp, head temp, and iat2 all run pretty consistently ~20' f cooler following the upgrade. I couldn't hot-lap at last year's ppaa and co mile. I did, more than once, this year before temps called for cool-off period. With ambient temp over 90' yesterday, i noted "cooked" iat2 (after stopping/shutting the engine off for ~15min) was ~160'. With no red lights on my ~2 mile drive back to the highway, the vmp h/e pulled iat2 down to ~125'. (scientific? Not really. Am i happy with my purchase? Definitely!)

it's also worth considering that trusted experts like revan and vmp recommend fanned h/es for improved cooling.

i have had mine for a few weeks and had similar results definitely worth the money if you ask me.

railroad

Established Member
Those numbers sound ball park to what I am seeing on mine. I am a little paranoid about whether I have any coolant restrictions. The hose in my kit was very thin and I did not go buy better hose before installing. I had to make sure all the bends were slow and large radius to prevent kinking. I did zip tie the hose in place to maintain the gentle curves in efforts to keep out the kinks. When I look into the reservoir and everything running I see a pretty good ripple. As I understand this is fed from a filler hose off the larger flow hose. If I have a kink would the ripple be more pronounce? I really dread dropping the front splitter to check on the hoses.

B. Stout

Finally got my VMP Triple Pass-Dual Fan Heat Exchanger and Reische 170' Thermostat installed. Very happy with results - Engine temps between 165' and 175', and IAT2 that didn't top 120' even in slow moving traffic.

Thanks to my good friend kpinco for the mini-group buy he negotiated on the HE, and Ky GT500 for the stencil to complete the job!

View attachment 1407832
Hi Norton,

How far up from the bottom of your HE did you start the letters to get them centered like that? Thanks in advance.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Holy thread revival, but a good one. Look through this thread and realized I posted about it 2 years ago. Back then I mentioned about adding fans to the stock HE but never got around to it and ended up getting the VMP instead now all installed couple weeks back.

My question is about the IC pump circulating the coolant, when I jumped the relay I saw the coolant moving but how vigorous should the water circulate in the tank??

I have a gentle wave/ripple in the tank when I jump the relay, the VMP install vid shows major waves happening in there. I'm pretty sure I have all the air removed from my system after I installed my HE.

I probably should've jumped the relay before I started the install to see how the coolant movement was in the tank then I would know if what I see now is right.

Tony

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Not to mention half of the heat exchanger is behind the front bumper, so only half of the heat exchanger is getting any air flow at speed.

True, but think about your rad it's totally covered by the condenser (those parts are also partially covered by the front bumper) so having a small part of the HE covered isn't a big deal IMO.

Once moving and with the fans on I'm sure air will circulate around in there so no biggie, adding a lightweight front rebar will get more of the exchanger exposed to moving air but your bumper will still be in the way no matter what.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
That comment was more an argument about having fans on the heat exchanger.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Awesome thanks.. I assume this would give me the same result on my 14?
Should produce identical result on a '14, since they're effectively the same car.

My question is about the IC pump circulating the coolant, when I jumped the relay I saw the coolant moving but how vigorous should the water circulate in the tank??

I have a gentle wave/ripple in the tank when I jump the relay, the VMP install vid shows major waves happening in there. I'm pretty sure I have all the air removed from my system after I installed my HE.

I probably should've jumped the relay before I started the install to see how the coolant movement was in the tank then I would know if what I see now is right.
Sounds very similar to mine, and every other '13/'14 about which read/heard. The system configuration doesn't produce the visible "churn" earlier ones did.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The by-pass moves most of the volume of coolant to the pump. There is a restricter in the hose going to the degas tank to slow how much coolant goes through it. The degas tank would be very turbulent without the bypass and the restricter.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Yeah, that's what I thought so I'm pretty sure I have all the air out of my system.

I was just going by their video, the video shows the install on a 13/14 GT500 (go to 4:31) and you can see the tidal wave tsunami happening in the IC tank.................mine was nowhere close to looking like that.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
On a related topic, has anyone added a switch to control the fans? I would like to add a switch just not sure what amperage type I would need (should be just a regular SPST switch would work I guess).

merkyworks

Established Member
@Cman01 I have thought about doing this as well but I was going to use a relay to control the fans and then use the switch to control the relay, then the switch amperage type shouldn't matter. The switch would control the relay ground that way I only need to run one wire from the engine bay to inside.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this though or if there is a better way this should be done.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I think one of the problems that people were having after installing a switch, was remembering to turn the fans on.

Bingo. I initially had a switch on mine but never remembered to turn it on or off. So just disconnected it. I now have a neat switch to nowhere.

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Got the car going (mentioned in another thread) and after driving it around a bit I took a look at the IC tank and there is a bit more vigorous coolant movement in the tank.

Still don't think it's like in the video but I guess the difference now is that the engine is running and the alt. is charging the battery, before I was just jumping the relay and running only on battery power to circulate the IC coolant.

Users who are viewing this thread