VMP TVS 2012 vs 2013......

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
So, im still trying to get a 2013 for a fair price but ive been talking to some other guys about a 2011-2012 and just put a VMP TVS on it and make more power than the 2013's coming out.

I mean the 2013 is going to be bad ass but why inst it making more power? Its now 5.8L, running 15 psi with a TVS 2.3 blower, other things have been done to make it better but damn. If you can just slap on a VMP TVS blower on a 2011-2012 and whip the 2013's ass why not just go for that. LOL

08blkshelby

Established Member
So, im still trying to get a 2013 for a fair price but ive been talking to some other guys about a 2011-2012 and just put a VMP TVS on it and make more power than the 2013's coming out.

I mean the 2013 is going to be bad ass but why inst it making more power? Its now 5.8L, running 15 psi with a TVS 2.3 blower, other things have been done to make it better but damn. If you can just slap on a VMP TVS blower on a 2011-2012 and whip the 2013's ass why not just go for that. LOL

Factory tune, and I believe that vmp's blower is ported. If your looking for bang for the buck, buy 2012.

cjgt500

Established Member
'13 has to do with the tune, TB (same as 07-12) and CAI is my best guess as it is choking down the potential. We will find out soon enough.

725hp at the wheels is a kick for sure.

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
If your looking for bang for the buck, buy 2012.

Im starting to lean to this. Im just having a hard time about the 1-2 shift problem in the 2010-2012's. I might have to look over that problem and hope they have a true fix for it in the future. There are some decent deals on 2012's out there right now that might not be there really soon.

08blkshelby

Established Member
Im starting to lean to this. Im just having a hard time about the 1-2 shift problem in the 2010-2012's. I might have to look over that problem and hope they have a true fix for it in the future. There are some decent deals on 2012's out there right now that might not be there really soon.

I also had the 1-2 shift problem when shifting fast at near redline. Fixed the problem by replacing the transmission oil with better transmission oil. I even still have the stock shifter:burnout:

cjgt500

Established Member
I only had the shift problem when the trans is not at operating temp (15 min or so) so won't run it hard unless I know ALL fluids are at operating temp.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
A 2012 plus a whipple or a TVS and supporting mods will put you right back in the price range of a 2013, no?

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
A VMP TVS on a 2012 will make a little more power than a tuned 2013. On a set of tires it should be a good bit faster as it would be geared more aggressively as well.

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
A 2012 plus a whipple or a TVS and supporting mods will put you right back in the price range of a 2013, no?
Not really. On the 2011-2012's you can just put the VMP TVS on it and dual fan heat exchanger for quite a bit less than the 2013 and be making 650+rwhp with no other mods. There are some damn good deals out there now on the 2011-2012's. There are a few used ones around here with less than 5k miles on them for 40k. New ones are going for invoce or less at the right dealer. I missed 2 a few weeks ago that went for less than invoice.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, I would be doing all the work myself so there would be no labor charges. :)

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
VMP TVS runs a few more psi (with a machined snout), has a ported inlet elbow and a more aggressive tune. So yes, a 11/12 with this set up will be significantly faster than a stock 13. Don't try to tell the 13 guys that since it's the best car there is. Now, take a 13 port the inlet, get a tune and turn up the boost and it's a wash. The difference will be a lot more money spent on the 13.

Seer

Banned
Not really. On the 2011-2012's you can just put the VMP TVS on it and dual fan heat exchanger for quite a bit less than the 2013 and be making 650+rwhp with no other mods. There are some damn good deals out there now on the 2011-2012's. There are a few used ones around here with less than 5k miles on them for 40k. New ones are going for invoce or less at the right dealer. I missed 2 a few weeks ago that went for less than invoice.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, I would be doing all the work myself so there would be no labor charges. :)

2012 GT500 can be had for invoice plus there is a $2500 factory to dealer incentive you should inquiry about.

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
2012 GT500 can be had for invoice plus there is a $2500 factory to dealer incentive you should inquiry about.

Yep, the 2 I misssed were sold below invoice because of that. There are a few more out there by me but I dont like the colors. (I dont want black or red) There is a white with stripe delete right down the road from me but Autonation dealers suck and they think its "rare" and will not come off of MSRP +ADM markup. I might have to travel just a tad to get the color I want. Not very far though. I missed a Kona Blue base model 2012 and I am kicking myself now. I could have got that thing CHEAP. It would have almost been an even trade with my 392 Challenger. I would have had to pay very little after my trade.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I think comparing a stock 13 against a modded one is being biased. The 13 still passes all emissions test (most tuned cars don't) will not have cat clogging (most cars with over 16 lbs tuned aggressively do) the comparison is sounding like the Chevy guys comparing the ZL1 to the 5.0. The 13 with a little tuning will be stronger than the 12. Not to mention a 5.4 vs a 5.8 is a no comparison. Don't forget the electronic features.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
I know I posted something about this in another thread, but can't find it.

While you can get a 2012 and go VMP TVS and make more hp then the 2013, you are also talking voiding your warranty just for more hp. But thats all your getting.

The 2013 has upgraded suspension, brakes, trans, cooling even on the base model, etc. And it's all covered under warranty. If you can do a 2013, I don't see any reason not to, unless of course money is an issue. But if you can get a 2012 and plan on modding right away just to achieve more hp, then I personally would rather spend the extra money for the 2013. You still get a pretty impressive amount of hp, plus all the other goodies, and warranty.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I know I posted something about this in another thread, but can't find it.

While you can get a 2012 and go VMP TVS and make more hp then the 2013, you are also talking voiding your warranty just for more hp. But thats all your getting.

The 2013 has upgraded suspension, brakes, trans, cooling even on the base model, etc. And it's all covered under warranty. If you can do a 2013, I don't see any reason not to, unless of course money is an issue. But if you can get a 2012 and plan on modding right away just to achieve more hp, then I personally would rather spend the extra money for the 2013. You still get a pretty impressive amount of hp, plus all the other goodies, and warranty.

The warranty is nice, but that only means something if you are going to keep it stock. I am sure there are people that say they will, but we all know that won't last long for most of the folks.

So, for the extra money it means you get a newer car and you don't have to buy a TVS.

I was thinking about switching untill I saw that the rods were basically the same. If they were H beams I would have been a no brainer for me.You will still need to build the block if you want BIG power, so it wasn't worth it TO ME. Money is all relative though. I am balling on a budget!!

2nd2none

Established Member
you can't compare a production car with a modded one. for half the price of a GT500 you can go buy a used Honda Civic and mod it to spank a GT500 but no one here is going to do that

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
One of the reasons Im jumping ship from Dodge is because the lack of modding in the cars. Not very mod friendly at all. Since ive gotten into the whole car thing thats what I do. Mod it!!! :) With Dodge (especially with the new stuff) thats just impossible or plain pain in the ass!!! Dont get me wrong, the 392 Challenger is bad ass for what it is but I havent been able to do squat to it for over a year and im bored with it. Ive had quite a few Mustangs in the past and had damn fun with them. I can tell you with whatever I get, it wont stay stock for very long.

Even if I got a 2013, it would be modded soon after I got it. Im itching to actually be able to do wht I want when I want with my cars. The 392 Challenger is holding me back with what I like to do.

Of course I could buy another Fox coupe and make it an 8 second car or less for what we can pay for a 2012-2013 but I have been there done that and want something more new.

Last edited:

weebz69

Established Member
I also had the 1-2 shift problem when shifting fast at near redline. Fixed the problem by replacing the transmission oil with better transmission oil. I even still have the stock shifter:burnout:

I have a 2011 and 4 to 5th gear sucks too. Granny shifting is the only fix I use kinda sucks but I am gonna try a different shifter one of these days....also watching videos on the 13s tranny ain't any better in that one. One of the magazines were do a review on the 2013 on YouTube and the dude was missing 2nd like crazy

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
But if you can get a 2012 and plan on modding right away just to achieve more hp, then I personally would rather spend the extra money for the 2013. You still get a pretty impressive amount of hp, plus all the other goodies, and warranty.

Nailed it. I'd beg borrow or steal to make up the difference if I was that close to being able to purchase a '13 over an '11/'12.

I was thinking about switching until I saw that the rods were basically the same. If they were H beams I would have been a no brainer for me.

Every time I bring up the rod issue hordes of panties get bunched up. Suffice it to say that Ford missed the opportunity to make a fantastic engine a truly great one. Not having to tear into the block in order to upgrade the rotating assembly would have been a huge plus. I have no plans or desire to make the move to a '13/'14. And as silly as it may sound (to the panty crew), were Ford to have unleashed a 5.8 with a killer rod/crank/piston combination, I'd have unloaded my '09 with little argument. But alas - it ain't happenin'.

Users who are viewing this thread