VMP tvs, Whipple, or Kenne bell best for Road coarse track car..?

101blur

Established Member
Hey everyone So in a nut shell I track my car and want more power have been leaning into getting a supercharger and stuck between the big three. mostly the KB since its LC but wanted to see in any of you guys are tracking your boosted mustangs and have had good results from one or the other or any big issues. I don't plan to run over 10lbs of boost at the track and will be on 100 octane while on the track
the car is currently full N/A bolt-on minus any head or cam work. A little more info is the car will be seeing 6-8 track events a year

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I think any of those is going to be a problem on the track especially with the Track Pack 3.73's unless you've already removed those.
Also what rim/tire combo u running? What suspension mods? 10lbs of boost with any tire is going to be a problem. You may want to pulley up for the road course
I'd probably say do VMP with the larger heat exchanger to help with cooking for track use

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
You plan on Infineon? It does get hot there.

i just came from a PD blower road course build, it is a lot of heat management. Then again, those you see with turbos often aren't at the next evet. They are always working under the hood to get it back on the track.

When you road-raced you car N/A, it just felt lacking in power? That was your main gripe?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
If you want to stick with a PD blower, I know the VMP or roush with the big dual fan heat exchanger works awesome and Im sure it would be fine for road course type stuff.

101blur

Established Member
I think any of those is going to be a problem on the track especially with the Track Pack 3.73's unless you've already removed those.
Also what rim/tire combo u running? What suspension mods? 10lbs of boost with any tire is going to be a problem. You may want to pulley up for the road course
I'd probably say do VMP with the larger heat exchanger to help with cooking for track use

Yes its a 3.73 gear car I currently run almost all the Whiteline parts with eibach springs and koni shocks but plan to switch over t full cortex soon.
maybe if I ran like 6-7lbs then..?
As for tires I am currently running pirelli Corsa system all around I figured added power will reduce traction

Good luck changing plugs with that KB.

I'm unaware of this issue can you give me more info into what you are talking about..?

The VMP will probably fry an egg after a few laps.

You plan on Infineon? It does get hot there.

i just came from a PD blower road course build, it is a lot of heat management. Then again, those you see with turbos often aren't at the next evet. They are always working under the hood to get it back on the track.

When you road-raced you car N/A, it just felt lacking in power? That was your main gripe?

No turbos for me, I like my power and grip but like most I want more power It would be nice to hit some higher speeds in the straits
Yes thunder hill and Sanoma get very hot..

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I'm about 7-8 lbs on the Roush and on 315 Nitto DR's. I'm going to switch from the 3.73 cuz it still roasts first and second gear on the street. It's better when the temps above 75, but then you run into heat issues under the hood.

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
8A2588FC-17D6-45BC-AB86-590305779BBF.jpg

Try changing the plugs on the drivers side without pulling the blower.

50blackout

Established Member
With a supercharger heat soak makes sense at a track or Autocross, but what about N/A? Are there serious heat soak problems with the coyote N/A on the track? (Does the car pull a bunch of timing because its so hot? I think I remember Justin at VMP saying his car was running 17 degrees timing at the track when it got real hot, compared to 22-25 degrees)

Also OP, I remember Steeda had an article that said Centrifugal Superchargers are way better for the track as the heat soak is minimal (probably because your don't have a giant supercharger sitting directly on top of the engine) Personally, if you really want to supercharge for the track I would go Vortech. You already have the 3.73 gear which is great for that type of supercharger.

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
With a supercharger heat soak makes sense at a track or Autocross, but what about N/A? Are there serious heat soak problems with the coyote N/A on the track? (Does the car pull a bunch of timing because its so hot? I think I remember Justin at VMP saying his car was running 17 degrees timing at the track when it got real hot, compared to 22-25 degrees)

Also OP, I remember Steeda had an article that said Centrifugal Superchargers are way better for the track as the heat soak is minimal (probably because your don't have a giant supercharger sitting directly on top of the engine) Personally, if you really want to supercharge for the track I would go Vortech. You already have the 3.73 gear which is great for that type of supercharger.

Most of the cases of high head temps are from Boss owners who are revving higher and have the stock oil heater ("cooler").
There are loads of GT's running road courses with normal heat levels. You would have to ask around for how much timing is run, but I imagine it's not like dropping off a cliff as far as the difference was with my PD track set-up.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Most of the cases of high head temps are from Boss owners who are revving higher and have the stock oil heater ("cooler").
There are loads of GT's running road courses with normal heat levels. You would have to ask around for how much timing is run, but I imagine it's not like dropping off a cliff as far as the difference was with my PD track set-up.

Without an oil temp gauge not sure most would even know they had an issue. Not saying an oil cooler is absolutely required but running the stock GT oil viscosity and no cooler/cooling mods is a bad idea IMO.

OP, curious why you think the car needs more power on track. Sounds like you already have a pretty healthy setup.

101blur

Established Member

Hmmm you bring up a very good point and there cheaper

101blur

Established Member
Without an oil temp gauge not sure most would even know they had an issue. Not saying an oil cooler is absolutely required but running the stock GT oil viscosity and no cooler/cooling mods is a bad idea IMO.

OP, curious why you think the car needs more power on track. Sounds like you already have a pretty healthy setup.

Well the power is there but I just want more.. I would like to be able to pass the z06 in the straits lol
And with price of cams and head work with out any solid results and good drivability seems like the blower is the way to go.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I would stay away from PD blowers on the road coarse.. Centri's are where it's at for low IAT's, and smooth linear power, not tire burning tq that will make you feather out after the apex. Griggs uses Centri's on all there car from John's 98, to the their 3v, to their Coyote engines.. Vortech/Paxton is what they use.. If it works for them, it's good enough for me.

Famine

Established Member
What gears should be ran with the paxton kits? I see some people talk about the 373's, while there are still some running 331's.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Well I doubt that there are many road coarses that will make you shift into 5th on a straight away.. I would do 3.73's personally

Users who are viewing this thread