Vortech over flow coolant tank cracked

01cobra'''dohc

Huffman Brothers Racing
Established Member
Was driving down the road and smelled something. So I pulled over and shut my car off and then steam came out from under the hood. Popped the hood and was spewing antifreeze out of the coolant tank. Has about a 2" crack on the side of it. Anyone else have had this problem. I believe it should still be under warranty but Vortech says no. Anyone have any ideas as to what could've caused this? And is anyone selling their overflow tank if they happened to upgrade to an aftermarket one. I'm going to make my own but It will take me a little while since I've pretty busy. I'd like to put on for now just to be able to drive around.

01cobra'''dohc

Huffman Brothers Racing
Established Member
I agree, but I only want another one to get me through until I make my own. But yes I had some leaking problems when I first installed the kit. Took a while to get them straightened out.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Something like 99% of the people with vortech/Paxton kits went ahead and installed a real overflow tank from the get go. So, I would think someone has one laying around they could sell ya.
I do but I'm not sure where you are located, and you might find one closer. I'm in Minnesota, let me know.

D98GT

Established Member
Damn I just threw away my plastic one two days ago too. I just run the canton tank that is listed on AMs website

01cobra'''dohc

Huffman Brothers Racing
Established Member
Yes I agree they are junk. But no chance I'm spending 200 dollars on an aftermarket one. I'm a fabricator and ill make my own. I have the aluminum. Just need to buy the fittings. I just want a stock one until I get one made. For myself I get satisfaction of being able to make some of my own parts. The money I'm saving is going to twin disc clutch setup. Not wasting it on an over flow tank. But I am open to buying a stock piece.

5lho

Established Member
I have repaired lots of cooling systems on old cars with JB. It works very well. The key is prep. Surface dry, roughed up with sandpaper a bit and the tank will crack around the JB before the JB gives. You did say you wanted something to get you by until you made your own.

Users who are viewing this thread