Vortech with upgraded radiator?

drh_5.0

Established Member
Curious if anyone out there has upgraded their radiator along with a Vortech/Paxton.....Preferable this one:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-aluminum-radiator-0510gt.html

If so, is there any proven clearance issues with the head unit, or intercooler piping? Saw a thread saying it was a tight fit with a 2013 track pack

I have a 2012 M6 GT with the radiator above. Also I installed a Boss Engine Oil Cooler, which I have read will be in the way/needs to swapped 180 degrees from a picture on "5.0 Mustang and Super Fords" found here:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/m5lp-1112-2012-boss-302-vortech-supercharger-install/

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
we really haven't had any issues / needs for one. But we don't do much road course stuff. when we were daily driving the blue car in the 8's, stock radiator still did a great job and was up to par

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Never used that radiator, but install with the boss radiator and boss oil coiler is a tight fit for sure. Probably added an hour or so to the install redoing the cooler routing and making the pipes fit with the boss radiator. Like beef I don't road course, so no need to run bigger radiator for my needs.

drh_5.0

Established Member
Never used that radiator, but install with the boss radiator and boss oil coiler is a tight fit for sure. Probably added an hour or so to the install redoing the cooler routing and making the pipes fit with the boss radiator. Like beef I don't road course, so no need to run bigger radiator for my needs.

I believe the boss radiator is close to the size of this one, maybe just a tad smaller..not certain though. Can you tell me how bad was re-routing the oil cooler lines? Didn't look like much more then some cutting and re-clamping?

we really haven't had any issues / needs for one. But we don't do much road course stuff. when we were daily driving the blue car in the 8's, stock radiator still did a great job and was up to par

I'm impressed the stock radiator can withstand the power of your ride beefcake. Good to know! I have already upgraded my radiator though since someday I will track the car and also for the humid summer days stuck in traffic.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
I'm in the same boat. The stock radiator might be able to hold up on drag races, but personally I road race as well, and constant abuse lap after lap for 20 minutes at a time scares me on the factory radiator. Interested to see if it fits around the Vortech blower too if anyone has ever done that. In for results :)

GBCoyote

Established Member
Bought the same radiator, we shall see upon install. I also have an oil cooler and Paxton. It'd be nice if we could get some clearance numbers, between piping and other stuff, and the boss radiator. It would give me an idea of what should be needed as far as fabrication.

drh_5.0

Established Member
Yeah hoping to find out prior to buying the Paxton or Vortech. If either you guys find out anything be sure to post it!!! :) Anybody else who can contribute to this thread with knowledge or questions?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I just recently installed a paxton kit on a 2014 track pack 5.0.

I had to modify the oil cooler lines and deal with the larger radiator.

First, for the oil cooler. Just take off the 2 clip hoses and get the lower radiator to engine hose off of the car. Now all you need to do is cut the plastic factory clamps off of it, pry the plastic middle section apart from the hoses, flip the plastic middle section around and worm gear clamp it tight. Then reinstall. One of the oil cooler lines was close to being pinched but it has not leaked for me or anyone else that did this, I confirmed it and would not have left it if I did not feel comfortable with it.

For the radiator. I trimmed off more than what you need to on my fan to make it fit with all the piping. Put the SC on, then put the BOV pipe on, then put the fan in. It is a TIGHT fit but it will fit. Then do the rest of your piping. It is all a tight fit but will fit, trust me. A tubular radiator support does help out A LOT though.

GBCoyote

Established Member
I bought a tubular radiator support to mount it all up with. Still awaiting install since my heads are getting worked on. Will be assembling within the next month or so however.

GBCoyote

Established Member
I just wanted to report back that this setup does indeed work for whoever is using the search function (rare, I know). However, I used a slim fan shroud setup with a Spal fan. I bought it from someone who owned a Procharger kit and it was the same one that comes in the kit they sell. It required a little cutting of miscellaneous metal from underneath the car on each side to fit the IC piping, and a little prom-night fingering to get the radiator hoses settled in, but ultimately it worked out just fine.
Paxton 2200 kit
8-rib upgrade
Boss oil cooler
Ford Racing Radiator
Procharger slim fan shroud setup

jlm961

Established Member

Just curious. You probably know as much as anybody about fi in these cars. Wouldn't the larger radiator and cooler operating temps help ward off detonation if the tune wasn't spot on or a guy running pump gas got a bad batch of gas in a street car? I had contemplated this upgrade myself when I do go fi and just wondered what your thoughts were on that. I may be over thinking this a bit.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the cars actually like a little temp in them, especially those on e85 to get a proper fuel burn.

if you were hot lapping the car over and over and over yes, but in general, most people are cooling down inbetween runs, it's never been an issue for us.

Users who are viewing this thread